Coil Packs and Plug Wires recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hooterz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2005 Ram 1500 is coming up for it's 60k, yes I said 60k and I was wanting to change the coil packs, wires and plugs. Was wondering if anyone has used the MSD coil packs and wires or have any recommendations on brand and part numbers for my Hemi 5.7, thanks

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Leave your stock coil packs unless you're getting misfires or you wanna convert to 2006+ version. I'm on my original coil packs at 160k+. You just need to decide if you want OEM wires or if you want aftermarket, then if you want long ones or shorties. MSD stuff isn't worth the price.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get you some nice factory style wires, I went with Napa Belden and OE spec plugs.
I agree there is no reason to change the coil packs themselves, they just aren't a 'wear' item.

Wow, 60k original. Nice!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
MSD are red. ACCEL are yellow.. I haven't used their coils so can't evaluate their performance. 06+ dual coils eliminate the waste spark wires. Installing them require changing the electrical plug and newer valve covers. On my 03 (pro-street) I swapped to the 6.1 coils many years ago to clean-up the engine and again a few years back I installed SoS (sultan of spark) when I upped it's boost. I use a dedicated voltage source and have had no spark blow-out or ignition failures.
https://performancedistributors.com/product/dodgechryslerjeep-hemi-sos-coils/
Of course none of this is necessary for a relatively stock engine..

OP
OP
hooterz

hooterz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if I just change the wires, what is the advantages over the shorty wires over the long and visa versa?
What brand of wires do you suggest.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Taylors, and all it does is clean up the engine bay. It was a short lived experiment; the 6.1's never had the wires, and after 2006 none of the hemis did at all.