Coil spring Air Lift Bag recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrKoolics

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter Hemi
I have a 2014 RAM 1500 4x4 Bighorn (Hemi 5.7 Liter). I'm looking to install some air lift bags in my rear coil springs to help when towing my 6,300 lb camper. Also, in case I load up the bed with mulch, lumber and who knows what else. I'm looking to see if anyone has any recommendations. Here is what I was thinking of installing because it looks like I could do it myself.

1626807255641.png

If more info is needed, I do have an electric braking system already installed and I also have a weight distribution hitch installed.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tom

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Those bags will work well for you and they’re real easy to install. I had them on my last two Rams for towing and they worked great.

OP
OP
M

MrKoolics

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter Hemi
Awesome! Thank you for the feedback. Do they help with the ride in general? Do you keep pressure in them all the time even when not towing?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Timbrens are a better option.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do they help with the ride in general? Do you keep pressure in them all the time even when not towing?
When your not Towing/Hauling anything just leave the minimum 5psi in the airbags, they won't effect the ride.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Awesome! Thank you for the feedback. Do they help with the ride in general? Do you keep pressure in them all the time even when not towing?
They recommend keeping 5 psi in them when not loaded...keeps the bags from getting pinched between the coils. When I had them, I found the rear end to be a little "bouncy" under load, but it wasn't bad or distracting...bottom line, I liked them and they did a good job keeping the truck level when towing. They'll serve you well. For my current Ram, I went with stiffer springs.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had them and ripped them off after 2 months. They most definitely change the ride quality while unloaded, even at 5 psi. I'm pretty particular about that, the ride was one of the main attractions to this particular truck (ram vs GM for example) and I wasn't going to give even a tiny fraction of that up.

I then tried to air them down to next to nothing, and they were squeaking and making noises at that point so I yanked them.

They did the job fine when loaded, but were unacceptable unloaded.

I'm going to try timbrens next, there is about an inch of space between axle and the stop when you install them so those definitely don't affect unloaded ride quality.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm going to try timbrens next, there is about an inch of space between axle and the stop when you install them so those definitely don't affect unloaded ride quality.
They don't effect the ride on flat roads while unloaded. When you drive over bumps or don't have enough weight to keep the Timbrens touching the axle it's a whole different story.
Good part is they're easy enough to pop in/out that you can swap them in when your going to tow.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They don't effect the ride on flat roads while unloaded. When you drive over bumps or don't have enough weight to keep the Timbrens touching the axle it's a whole different story.
Good part is they're easy enough to pop in/out that you can swap them in when your going to tow.

That is my plan yes, pop them in only when needed.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Or just cut them down a bit.

Lucky for me I have 2 " of room under mine due to the lift.

9uohGp&tn=PZ6oSEeRDf9rZYlf&_nc_ht=scontent.fyxd1-1.jpg
nc_ohc=k9_fdTAMUlYAX8ezB2o&_nc_ht=scontent.fyxd1-1.jpg

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had airlifts, the ride is different even with only 5psi in them. Up here in the cold North East I had a bag crack/rip. Airlift warrantied them but I took them out and did new rear springs instead.

I would look at timbergroves if you are set on bags https://timbergroveenterprises.com/old-home

Timbrins or Sumo springs will both effect the ride especially unloaded and big bumps.

My recommendation will always be to upgrade the springs to what you need and be done with it, no failing parts to worry about.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Had airlifts, the ride is different even with only 5psi in them. Up here in the cold North East I had a bag crack/rip. Airlift warrantied them but I took them out and did new rear springs instead.

I would look at timbergroves if you are set on bags https://timbergroveenterprises.com/old-home

Timbrins or Sumo springs will both effect the ride especially unloaded and big bumps.

My recommendation will always be to upgrade the springs to what you need and be done with it, no failing parts to worry about.

Timbrens won't effect unloaded ride, most guys who install them on 1500's have at least a 1 inch air gap unloaded. I guess you can always hit a massive bump and feel them connect but at that point I don't think it matters much anymore.

Sumo springs, definitely, I had them installed first (before the airlift) and there was only 1/4 inch air gap. Felt almost every bump and pulled them off too.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m just glad you coil spring riders have the ability to do that because if my truck came with the coils instead of the air ride, I’d be all over one of these systems in a heartbeat because quite frankly I’m not a big fan of the separate airbag systems where you have to bolt to the top of the leaf springs or whatever. These are so much nicer.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The factory air ride is nice, no doubt about it. I would have considered adding it to my truck when I was building it but where I live the cold just destroys the factory system for some reason. I have a family member with a Tahoe, same thing there, every 3 winters the system is dead, or like the time he was dropping the boat in the water and backed up "too far", something shorted out and that was it.

I'm looking for an enhancement to coils, will probably try timbrens next. Apparently they are easy enough to slip in and out (the factory bump stops just pop right out too).

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
I tow a 7000 pound horse trailer with my 2019 1500 Classic. No WDH. LOVE my airlift 5000 ultimate plus load leveling bags. Really smooths out the ride when towing and I’m not blinding oncoming traffic in the dark. Run em at 30-40psi when towing and 5 psi when not. Have had them 2 years (about 4000 towing miles) with no problems.

Attachments

• C5B4F1F8-7244-428F-A282-3BEF32EE5A19.jpeg
    C5B4F1F8-7244-428F-A282-3BEF32EE5A19.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 4