cold/ac air on passenger side warm/regular on drivers side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shoffms0912

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys I have a 2014 Bighorn and recently lost ac on my drivers side vents but have ac on my passenger side. There is no ticking/clicking noises. And ac only works on the head setting for ac for all settings. I do have heat for all settings and for both sides. I see there's posts for the opposite heat on passenger and ac/cold air on drivers but I don't know if I fall in that bracket. ha! Let me know, thanks!!

jrutledge18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man, Mine is doing exact same thing. Only intermittently. I will be driving everything working fine and just cuts out on drivers side. Im going to do some more research. Please post up here if you find the solution, and I will do the same.

2014 1500 Laramie

jrutledge18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also forgot to mention that when it does cut out on driver side the rear vents also cut out and blow hot air. Does yours do the same?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's a well documented common problem, the blend doors in the dash aren't opening / closing properly. Do a search & you will find many posts on it.

OP
OP
shoffms0912

shoffms0912

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All I know is no matter what setting I’m on, only the passenger gets ac. I’ve heard of back flushing the heater core but I have heat? It’s frustrating. I was really hoping it wouldn’t be a blend door problem because I really don’t care to take apart the dash
2014 bighorn

OP
OP
shoffms0912

shoffms0912

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a well documented common problem, the blend doors in the dash aren't opening / closing properly. Do a search & you will find many posts on it.
Tell me something different lol. I don’t want to pull apart the dash. Wish they would do a recall on it so I don’t have to do it

jrutledge18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Our specific problem is not well documented. Most people have the opposite issue of the passenger side being hot with the Ac on. My truck the drivers side is blowing hot air. I took the dash apart the other day to try to switch some actuators around to see if I could find a faulty actuator and I could not. I am unsure of with actuator controls the drivers side and rear of the truck.

OP
OP
shoffms0912

shoffms0912

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Our specific problem is not well documented. Most people have the opposite issue of the passenger side being hot with the Ac on. My truck the drivers side is blowing hot air. I took the dash apart the other day to try to switch some actuators around to see if I could find a faulty actuator and I could not. I am unsure of with actuator controls the drivers side and rear of the truck.
Oh well that's fun because I had planned on replacing the 2 actuators behind the radio.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I dont know ish about this, but that straight sucks brother, especially as summer just started yesterday. Freak'n 97f here yesterday. Hope you figure it out, maybe rig up a hose to blow on drivers face til you find it. good luck.

yes the visa versus is well documented.. maybe something can help?

OP
OP
shoffms0912

shoffms0912

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just replaced actuators behind the radio and that didn’t fix it. Next I’m gonna try back flushing the heater core. I’m leaving the tearing the dash part to the very last if I can.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just replaced actuators behind the radio and that didn’t fix it. Next I’m gonna try back flushing the heater core. I’m leaving the tearing the dash part to the very last if I can.
As a temporary summer fix, you could install a bypass on the heater core lines. The heater core is always hot. The truck uses blend doors to isolate the heater core when dial is max cold.

There was a hack way that I fixed this issue on my wj without dash removal. Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible on these trucks.

OP
OP
shoffms0912

shoffms0912

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, Mine is doing exact same thing. Only intermittently. I will be driving everything working fine and just cuts out on drivers side. Im going to do some more research. Please post up here if you find the solution, and I will do the same.

2014 1500 Laramie
So I'm thinking it has to do with a blend door issue?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My understanding is that the blend doors break away from the "rod" that the actuator moves so the rod turns but the door doesn't move.

OP
OP
shoffms0912

shoffms0912

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Screenshot 2022-06-28 105906.png
Has anybody had luck with adding more refrigerant and it fixes the problem? I guess I wasn't aware it has to be an OE actuator to find the solution. I was putting on Dorman actuators. /: Also the kit they suggest is only for 02-08 rams don't think that'll work for the 4th gen, would it?

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can’t help with the A/C problem but flushing the heater core would only help if you weren’t getting heat on one side.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I can’t help with the A/C problem but flushing the heater core would only help if you weren’t getting heat on one side.
It's NOT the heater core if he's getting heat on 1 side.

OP
OP
shoffms0912

shoffms0912

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I put a refrigerant gauge up to the low port and read a little low.. so I put in what little I had left of my can and bumped it to 30psi and I have cold air again on the driver's side...Not sure if it'll stay that way... gonna give it a couple of days to see what it does.

OP
OP
shoffms0912

shoffms0912

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I put a refrigerant gauge up to the low port and read a little low.. so I put in what little I had left of my can and bumped it to 30psi and I have cold air again on the driver's side...Not sure if it'll stay that way... gonna give it a couple of days to see what it does.
Okay... so one day after adding a little more refrigerant... I'm back to square one.. no ac on the driver's side again. But the passenger has it.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay... so one day after adding a little more refrigerant... I'm back to square one.. no ac on the driver's side again. But the passenger has it.
If adding refrigerant temporarily fixed it.That means you have a leak somewhere. It's not a blend door problem.

You could charge it up with dye and find it with a black light. I wouldn't start with that though.

Charge it up again.

Soapy water will help. Start with the compressor fittings, then remove the grill and look the condensor over.