Cold Air Intake for Pentastar V6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BobSacomano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I've read through a number of cold air intake threads but hoping to hear your opinions specifically for the V6. If you have an aftermarket intake, which one are you using? I'm not seeing a lot of choices for the V6, and some negative reviews about the cheaper ones spooked me a bit.

I want one with a metal tube, chrome or polished, not black and not plastic, but a lot of websites are little jumbled on exactly what the V6 intake looks like versus the one for the Hemi.

Should I just bite the bullet and pay an extra 20% for a brand name like K&N?

Does anybody have pics of what your intake looks like on the Pentastar? Reports on performance?

TIA

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Are you just looking for the custom look of a CAI? I believe there are a few posts here of pentastar owners who had name brand ones.

Other than noise and looks, that's all it's going to do for you and this is coming from someone who owned a 2017 pentastar powered Ram and loved it.

OP
OP
BobSacomano

BobSacomano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Are you just looking for the custom look of a CAI? I believe there are a few posts here of pentastar owners who had name brand ones.

I'm having a hard time sorting the Pentastar from the Hemi intake posts, and specifically looking for photos so I know what to expect looks-wise.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Maybe it was youtube I've seen them? Search Ram pentastar cold air intake there for some videos, etc.

OP
OP
BobSacomano

BobSacomano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I'd still like to hear what everybody thinks of theirs, however, I found this video that answers a lot of my questions.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'd still like to hear what everybody thinks of theirs, however, I found this video that answers a lot of my questions.
I don't recommend the K&N. I have it and it's pretty darn loud. I took it off and just use parts of it. They do a very poor job of isolating the filter from the engine bay too...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Jhigh567

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I currently have the Airaid installed on my v6. I'll admit it was loud, so I ended up doing a cat back exhaust just to drown out the intake. Can't say I noticed much of an increase in hp or anything.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't recommend the K&N. I have it and it's pretty darn loud. I took it off and just use parts of it.

I usually can't get a good feel for sounds listening over my device speakers but good lawd your clip came in loud and proud! Whoa. That's a bit too much.

Out of boredom I was thinking about one of those cheapy ~$65 CAIs for my 2019 classic hemi, but I can't over the shiddy intake air temp fitment, breather hose fitment and overall how the joints fit together. Plus I don't trust those conical air filters to do much in the way of air filtering compared to OEM style. There's no flippin way I'd spend $200-300 on a brand name one either.

maxiderm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I have the Spectre and I love it. It sounds great, not overly loud, but a bit louder and a lot throatier sounding than stock. It was also only like $200. It also a chrome/polished tube like you mentioned.

If you notice, the negative reviews are almost entirely about the filter falling off. I also had that issue and found a very easy fix to it. These aftermarket filters come oiled so that they trap dust particles well while allowing for more airflow as opposed to dry paper stock air filters. The thing about the Spectre is that some of the oil is on the inside of the end that connects to the rest of the system, so when you clamp it down it slowly slips off after driving for a while. I found a video on YouTube that shows how to very easily fix that. Just search in YouTube "air filter falls off" and the first video will be a guy doing that to his Spectre intake.

The main reason I chose Spectre was I live in Cali and it was literally the only aftermarket intake that fit the V6 I could find that was also CARB legal, so I didn't have any others to choose from that I know of. I used my credit card and noticed when I bought it the charge came from "K&N". I think Spectres are made in the same factory as K&N. I'm not sure if its an offshoot company of K&N or what, but the parts are solid. Once I fixed the slipping issue (easy 10 minute fix) it has not fallen off since, even after some relatively harsh off-roading so far.

If you don't need to worry about keeping it CARB legal, consider the K&N. But the Spectre is a solid choice IMO and the price is good.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I usually can't get a good feel for sounds listening over my device speakers but good lawd your clip came in loud and proud! Whoa. That's a bit too much.

Out of boredom I was thinking about one of those cheapy ~$65 CAIs for my 2019 classic hemi, but I can't over the shiddy intake air temp fitment, breather hose fitment and overall how the joints fit together. Plus I don't trust those conical air filters to do much in the way of air filtering compared to OEM style. There's no flippin way I'd spend $200-300 on a brand name one either.
The best way to describe it in person is to say the CAI "bleats" at wide open throttle. It kinda had a nice growl to it when driving conservatively though.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have the Spectre and I love it. It sounds great, not overly loud, but a bit louder and a lot throatier sounding than stock. It was also only like $200. It also a chrome/polished tube like you mentioned.

If you notice, the negative reviews are almost entirely about the filter falling off. I also had that issue and found a very easy fix to it. These aftermarket filters come oiled so that they trap dust particles well while allowing for more airflow as opposed to dry paper stock air filters. The thing about the Spectre is that some of the oil is on the inside of the end that connects to the rest of the system, so when you clamp it down it slowly slips off after driving for a while. I found a video on YouTube that shows how to very easily fix that. Just search in YouTube "air filter falls off" and the first video will be a guy doing that to his Spectre intake.

The main reason I chose Spectre was I live in Cali and it was literally the only aftermarket intake that fit the V6 I could find that was also CARB legal, so I didn't have any others to choose from that I know of. I used my credit card and noticed when I bought it the charge came from "K&N". I think Spectres are made in the same factory as K&N. I'm not sure if its an offshoot company of K&N or what, but the parts are solid. Once I fixed the slipping issue (easy 10 minute fix) it has not fallen off since, even after some relatively harsh off-roading so far.

If you don't need to worry about keeping it CARB legal, consider the K&N. But the Spectre is a solid choice IMO and the price is good.
In my experience, Spectre is nearly identical to K&N with their intakes. I'd recommend them over K&N if you were going to get a CAI and it was a toss up. I've owned both on different model year Rams.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you like it? Have you seen any performance improvements?

I like it, easy to access and clean filter. As far performance wise not sure it does a lot. I see it as a better version of the OEM air box.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
"The Pentastar also features a completely integrated exhaust manifold. In this innovative design, all of the exhaust manifold geometry is contained within the aluminum cylinder head and the close-coupled catalyst bolts on directly". A CAI won't give you any extra HP. It is bling and noise and possibly worse filtration. Each to their own.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
"The Pentastar also features a completely integrated exhaust manifold. In this innovative design, all of the exhaust manifold geometry is contained within the aluminum cylinder head and the close-coupled catalyst bolts on directly". A CAI won't give you any extra HP. It is bling and noise and possibly worse filtration. Each to their own.
I use the factory Airbox and a K&N intake tube (from Airbox to Throttle Body) to delete the OEM resonator. Lets me hear the engine just enough.

Attachments

• IMAG0037.jpg
    IMAG0037.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I guess I don't understand wanting something that's not going to give you a performance improvement. Why not just put a K&N in the stock airbox and be done with it? I like the re-usability of the K&N filter. I'm the longrun, it saves you money on replacement filters

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
I guess I don't understand wanting something that's not going to give you a performance improvement. Why not just put a K&N in the stock airbox and be done with it? I like the re-usability of the K&N filter. I'm the longrun, it saves you money on replacement filters
I think a lot of people like the cool looks of the CAI and convince themselves that they are getting some sort of power benefit from it....but people who know look at it as mostly a waste of money. The K&N filter's only real benefit is reusability. Maybe you can save a couple of bucks in the long run...but that's about it. But then you sacrifice the ease of just dropping a new dry filter in there in favor of washing, drying and reoiling the K&N (they are a lot more labor intensive). I've always thought K&N filters are not worth the effort when regular filters do the job just as well. The cost savings is minimal.