Cold Air Intake really though?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I have been wanting to post this on here to really get your thoughts on the matter. First can many of these kits really say they are a "cold air" kit? I mean especially the ones that sit open in the engine bay they should be labeled HOT AIR KITS. Now as far as the ones that have a heat shield those are the ones I want to get into. And also the factory one. First off is the stock air box not also a "cold air" intake? It blocks out the hot engine air and provides the cold air that these so called kits claim.

I think what would be good to see from these companies that claim "cod air" is to show an actual temperature of the air coming in. This way you can get an idea of who is actually providing the so called cold air and who is doing it best. Let's face it the colder the air the better it is for the engine performance wise. In my mind this is the most important aspect of a cold air kit and not the next part that I am getting into.

This next part is what gets me. All of these especially bigger companies that claim this amount of horse power. And of course that is most of the time going to be the selling point. I get that most that are wanting to upgrade their Intake is wanting performance gain but what about engine reliability? I mean these that are allowing so much more air flow as lets face it that is what is allowing more horse power is their filter really is doing not as good job filtering out contaminants therefore allowing more air flow. This has been proven for example am sure many of you have seen YT channel "project farm" He has tested this out on many of the popular air filters and K&N who obviously claim the most horsepower also allow in the most contaminants. And by a long shot. What about the reliability of the engine? I feel that is more important than say a 10HP gain but only at a RPM range that myself and most of you are never in.

Is why I want your guys/gals opinions as I feel those hp numbers can be deceiving and you are getting that at a cost of letting dirt/containiments/harmful objects in your engine.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of them actually do nothing other than make noise. Newer vehicles have fairly efficient air boxes, including our RAMs. Engineering Explained on YT did a test with his Crosstrek on a dyno and it made very little difference. I agree, more flow = more junk allowed through. However, the tiny particles that do get through "high-flow" filters are unlikely to do any damage to the engine.

Dirty D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Eh I got the vararam, sounded nice, maybe a bit of a boost at 65Mph + but I would assume the numbers are 15hp or less at best. Below 65mph probably 0hp

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The Vararam is the "only" dyno proven CAI that actually adds ponies, and it's simply bad ass too!
But, even the Vararam is only part of the equation for more power.
View attachment 494512
The Vararam also has a ***** pile of issues,it's probably the worst intake you can run in dusty conditions,or where it snows.I've personally seen one full of enough slushy snow,the filter had collasped,and had gapping holes between the filter and lid,feeding all the road crap in the slush directly into the intake

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Wild one
Yes, If you don't install the lid correctly it will have a gap, but if you can tie your shoes you can accomplish this as well.
Dust has NEVER made it past my filter, so I guess I can tie my own shies? lol
As far as the snow, no concern for me here, but I have read it can be an issue.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CAI waste of money, the air boxes are very efficient. Maybe the Vararam give a few more hossies, but U have to consider the environment where installed and operated. There have been PPL swapped out lower ED boxes from the stock Hemi for a lil more air. But really, U looking for HP, U talking (engine work, cams, heads), change exhaust, (maybe delete MDS), tune, etc.,. Lots of bucks to push speed on a truck, just saying.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I deleted the MDS the day I got mine. lol
Cam, heads, headers/cat-back system, tuner and CAI will get you what you want if all of them are combined.
YUP, figured U maxed out on yer ride to turn the numbers you do.

mountainlion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l I6
I watched Banks explaining how much more air it can handle. However he never said anything about more power. i think for normal driving it will not give a significant power increase.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
i bit on my last truck and bought a air raid and wasted my money i did have the stock intake with a drop in and air resonator removal and it was just as good as the air raid. on my ram i did the drop in and and charcoal filter removal and im not sure if it made a difference or not the biggest drivability mod was adding the 9drive (poor mans pedal commander)

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i bit on my last truck and bought a air raid and wasted my money i did have the stock intake with a drop in and air resonator removal and it was just as good as the air raid. on my ram i did the drop in and and charcoal filter removal and im not sure if it made a difference or not the biggest drivability mod was adding the 9drive (poor mans pedal commander)
How did you like the 9 drive and interaction?

Yukonbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Most of the “Cold Air” intakes systems are just money grabbers. When you read the specs and fine print some will learn there isn’t any gain until over 3000rpm. Most modern truck Rarely get that high. Some of the outputs-for the cost-are useless. Unless you have lots of $$ and do it all wouldn’t waste my $$. Just my .2 cents.