cold air intake suggestions 5.7 hemi??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Appauldd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks Casper....now I want to get the S&B even more. UGH. I can't win.

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What other mods do you have in mind for your truck? I have a had a few enclosed systems and think they are pretty good. They won't register too high on the butt dyno but you will hear a difference.

I put the VR Air Grabber(from Moe's) on my lifted RAM Sport a few weeks ago. My gauge for performance was all the very steep hills I drive on a daily basis. With the lift and the larger tires etc...at somewhat slow speeds the truck was downshifting fairly often. Once I put the VR on, I noticed a dramatic drop in downshifts and an ability to maintain a slow climb easier. By slow I mean 25-30mph. You will also notice it a lot at WOT (wide open throttle). When it hits the 2-3 and 3-4 gear transition, hang on!!! You can definitely tell the truck is not fighting for air.

Once you install the VR you can also do something fun like a dual battery setup on the passenger side.

My .02

Any Chance you can show a few more pictures, or a post on the set up :emotions33:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
What other mods do you have in mind for your truck? I have a had a few enclosed systems and think they are pretty good. They won't register too high on the butt dyno but you will hear a difference.

I put the VR Air Grabber(from Moe's) on my lifted RAM Sport a few weeks ago. My gauge for performance was all the very steep hills I drive on a daily basis. With the lift and the larger tires etc...at somewhat slow speeds the truck was downshifting fairly often. Once I put the VR on, I noticed a dramatic drop in downshifts and an ability to maintain a slow climb easier. By slow I mean 25-30mph. You will also notice it a lot at WOT (wide open throttle). When it hits the 2-3 and 3-4 gear transition, hang on!!! You can definitely tell the truck is not fighting for air.

Once you install the VR you can also do something fun like a dual battery setup on the passenger side.

My .02
Are you planning to do anything about the stock air passsage through the right fender?

Your box looks pretty squared away. :fish_h4h:

DavidinGA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport Blue Streak
Engine
Hands down best performance for the money CAI is the Diy stock airbox mod (drill 3 or 4 inch hole in the bottom of the box and run a new air intake line straight down or routed to lower front grill opening).

Best $7 mod I have done on my 14 sport.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hands down best performance for the money CAI is the Diy stock airbox mod (drill 3 or 4 inch hole in the bottom of the box and run a new air intake line straight down or routed to lower front grill opening).

Best $7 mod I have done on my 14 sport.
Does not reset to stock at lease turn-in or trade-in time. No bueno. :naughty:

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This was my S&B that I had on my 09. Loved it. Just waiting for them to release one for the 14's.

20130317_172853_zpsed9f8920.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

DavidinGA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wanted to welcome you to a new dodge ram forum.

A used airbox is probably less than $50 to replace the modded one with if you had to...

... But in reality what are the odds they would even notice lol

Just my 2 cents. Go waste $300 if that's your intent tho...

Appauldd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have to agree the DIY CAI stock box is 20 bucks well spent. I tell you that by the way I did mine I would only have to replace a $6 elbow to be 100% stock. Truth be told, unless you know these trucks like the back of your hand you would think my DIY came stock.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7

My .02

Man that's slick! Where did you get that?

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have to agree the DIY CAI stock box is 20 bucks well spent. I tell you that by the way I did mine I would only have to replace a $6 elbow to be 100% stock. Truth be told, unless you know these trucks like the back of your hand you would think my DIY came stock.

Pics of your diy? I am curious about the $6 elbow your talking about.

Edit: I found your info on the mod. Thanks!!

Last edited:

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The DIY works well and it is the most cost effective, but the Vararam has that wow factor when you pop the top....

2012 Laramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie 1500 Crewcab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be careful of oiled filters as the oil residues can mess with your mass air sensor

DavidinGA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm running a 4" pipe on mine straight down by the way.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where did you get that batterie tray?

The Unabomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The DIY works well and it is the most cost effective, but the Vararam has that wow factor when you pop the top....

It has wow factor alright.

Wow, look at that pos is typically the response they are given.

The build quality is horrible. It doesn't even come close to the claims they advertise.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It has wow factor alright.

Wow, look at that pos is typically the response they are given.

The build quality is horrible. It doesn't even come close to the claims they advertise.

What a negative douche bag thing to say. You just can't help it can you.
Every and I mean EVERY time I've popped my hood it's been Wow that's ******* cool!!!