Cold misfire with a few codes ( P0300, P0456, P0175 )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2013 Ram 1500 4.7 155k miles. Bought the truck about a year ago and I've put about 6k miles on it. No issues until a couple of days ago. CEL came on but working some long hours so hadn't checked it. Yesterday morning started the truck to let it thaw out a bit ( 26 degrees or so out there ) and when I went back it had a hard miss and flashing CEL. Turned off, back on and drove to work fine. Same thing the next morning. If I start the truck cold it will start missing within the first 5-30 seconds and won't recover unless I turn the truck off and back on. The odd thing is that regardless of engine/outside temp if I start the truck and start driving right away, no miss, no issue. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but I'm not useless with a socket set and some determination. I was hoping the combination of codes would help point me in a more specific direction to start looking. P0300, P0456, P0175.

Thanks -

Jose Zambrano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you checked for any vacuum leaks or anything like that, I have the same issue but mine does not throw any codes. Mine will stutter a bit at cold start then it will level its self out after about 10 seconds. My tuner said it could be a vacuum leak or a bad gap on one of the spark plugs. I checked for vacuum leaks and none were found so my next thing is to check all the sparkplugs. With the mileage on yours the spark plugs should have been changed already.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Something going on with the air, cold air has more o2 but less o2 pressure due to h2o content, I never understood how this can effect an engine to be honest, sounds complicated. Bottom line, you air sensors are supposed to adjust the fuel demand based on the readings, but you are not throwing that code, so my advice is keep running codes every time this happens, you may end up getting that code. If not, it is possible you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Fuel, air and spark, you can rule out fuel issue here, as in the truck works fine after this. It is likely spark isnt the issue either, I'd concentrate in air issues and only expand after you have checked everything in the air stream. have you even checked air filter? Next time I'd take air filter off when I started it cold, just to see. Don't drive like that, but see what happens with no restriction.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you drive and the temps are warm when you shut off truck, and then try and start the engine in the cold mornings, how long does it take for the truck to recognize the new o2 condition and adjust? Also, what gas rating do you use? I see 4.7, so are those tuned to 87? I might try using a high octane fuel as another option just to see how it goes. See if small moves cures this, but if you have no info and havent done plugs yet, yes for sure do that anyhow.

OP
OP
Ben79

Ben79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for reading and replying guys. If I understand your question Burla, it seems to take about 30 seconds for it to start adjusting on a cold start. Starts at 1500 rpm when cold, then over that 30 seconds starts to trim out and drop to it's normal 600-700 idle rpm. Air filter is in good shape. I don't know the last time the plugs where changed as I've only put about 6k miles on it since I've owned it but I'll pop those out tomorrow and take a look at them. I do run 87 normally but ran a tank of the expensive go juice through it last month along with some fuel injector cleaner as I've lost about 1.5 - 2 mpg over the year that I've had the truck. I was getting around 17 mpg in town when I bought it and that has since dropped to around 15. Tinkering with it this evening I noticed a high pitch sound that sounds like it may be sucking some air from somewhere it shouldn't be so that's where I'm going to start tomorrow.

I truly do appreciate you both taking the time out of your day to post a response here.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for reading and replying guys. If I understand your question Burla, it seems to take about 30 seconds for it to start adjusting on a cold start. Starts at 1500 rpm when cold, then over that 30 seconds starts to trim out and drop to it's normal 600-700 idle rpm. Air filter is in good shape. I don't know the last time the plugs where changed as I've only put about 6k miles on it since I've owned it but I'll pop those out tomorrow and take a look at them. I do run 87 normally but ran a tank of the expensive go juice through it last month along with some fuel injector cleaner as I've lost about 1.5 - 2 mpg over the year that I've had the truck. I was getting around 17 mpg in town when I bought it and that has since dropped to around 15. Tinkering with it this evening I noticed a high pitch sound that sounds like it may be sucking some air from somewhere it shouldn't be so that's where I'm going to start tomorrow.

I truly do appreciate you both taking the time out of your day to post a response here.
You need a fairly thin thinwall plug socket to pull the plugs on your 4.7,alot of plug sockets need a bit of grinding to fit in the plug tubes.There's 2 banks of plugs on your 4.7,the lower bank is a bit tougher to get at.If you have that many miles on it,you might as well throw plugs in it,odds are the lower bank has never been changed.

Last edited: