Cold start issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danny25SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good Morning and Happy New Year!

I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

I have an 18’ 2500 Cummins, it’s been a dream until this past Tuesday.

Did the remote start as always in the morning to let it warm up. Went outside to put my stuff in as always before I let the dog in and it isn’t running. No biggie may have timed out.

Go to restart it and it clicks flashes that I need to service the 4WD. I’m like ok . Try to start again same thing. So I cycle the 4WD modes and try it again. This time the DEF gauge “pegs” to completely empty and it starts immediately flashing “limp mode.” I figure I got DEF napped. Go in throw a jug in the tank as I was just a tick over half and was planning to top it back to full this week. I get back in the truck it’s FULL.

Truck drives perfectly fine to work and even remote starts 12 hours later after I am done. Next morning (Wednesday) the same thing same process.

Thursday I decide to forgo the remote start and try directly starting it starts right up after pre heat and flashes to service the brake system and a check engine light flashes up.

Since it will remote start and cancel. Get in and it says to service the brake system. I don’t see any power loss or other issues it feels sounds perfectly fine, appointment is Monday for the dealer to go at it.

Just wondering if anyone out there has had any issues similar to this at all?

Sorry for the long post, I will absolutely post the results once I have a diagnosis.

-Daniel

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had this issue on my chevy 3500. It was the def tank heater that was the issue. Happened right when it was below freezing last year. It was a actual recall so it cost me nothing.