Cold Start Tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Livin The Dream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello- Started my new 6.4 hemi yesterday morning at 30 degrees and had a ticking noise coming from the
passenger side of the engine for about 10 seconds. Normal? Concerns? Your thoughts?
Thanks!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I thought all Hemis did this :)

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I’m pretty sure if someone says they have never heard this with their truck, then they are either deaf or have not cold started their hemi before.

As ****** as it sounds, its normal. It is quite embarrassing for me.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hello- Started my new 6.4 hemi yesterday morning at 30 degrees and had a ticking noise coming from the
passenger side of the engine for about 10 seconds. Normal? Concerns? Your thoughts?
Thanks!
Exhaust manifold bolt?

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it takes a second or two for the engine to crank and fire. in which time the oil pump is likely charging the system. within 2sec after fire the oil pressure is at 50psi . in 2.5yrs mines only ticked on three ocassions. i would get it to the dealer if its ticking more than once in a blue moon and especially for 10sec each time

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Normal, especially when below freezing. I don’t think it’s lifter noise, the speed isn’t consistent enough. Sounds more like a leaky exhaust manifold to me, but mine are fine. Every 6.4 I’ve ever heard start sounds the same.

I don’t think the 5.7 is as noticeable due to them being in cars and 1500s that sit lower with a slightly different exhaust system. You can still hear it in a 5.7, just more muffled. We have a shop rig with 8k hours on a 5.7 in 110k; engine sounds like a sewing machine but runs good and hasn’t been cracked open. That’s with a 5k oil change interval using conventional oil. I figure 8000 hours would be like a normal person driving 400,000 miles.

These engines are loud but in my opinion the vast majority are trouble free.

Last edited:

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Normal, especially when below freezing. I don’t think it’s lifter noise, the speed isn’t consistent enough. Sounds more like a leaky exhaust manifold to me, but mine are fine. Every 6.4 I’ve ever heard start sounds the same.

I don’t think the 5.7 is as noticeable due to them being in cars and 1500s that sit lower with a slightly different exhaust system. You can still hear it in a 5.7, just more muffled. We have a shop rig with 8k hours on a 5.7 in 110k; engine sounds like a sewing machine but runs good and hasn’t been cracked open. That’s with a 5k oil change interval using conventional oil. I figure 8000 hours would be like a normal person driving 400,000 miles.

These engines are loud but in my opinion the vast majority are trouble free.

i think what your hearing is the combustion sound resonating through the headers. sounds kind of like leaky manifold but its not. im very familiar with the sound your talking about

lifter pump is very audible tapping for about 2sec. cant be mistaken for anything else. while i personally dont consider a 2sec pumpup to be any big deal, heres my secret to avoiding it as i havent heard the tap for close to 3yrs now. pup 0w40, wix xp filter and engine block heater when its cold

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i think what your hearing is the combustion sound resonating through the headers. sounds kind of like leaky manifold but its not. im very familiar with the sound your talking about

lifter pump is very audible tapping for about 2sec. cant be mistaken for anything else. while i personally dont consider a 2sec pumpup to be any big deal, heres my secret to avoiding it as i havent heard the tap for close to 3yrs now. pup 0w40, wix xp filter and engine block heater when its cold

The cold header sound is exactly how I’d describe it.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

Tell me about it.
I believe it was on the page after it gave the disclaimer warning about "runaway diesel" engine where under certain conditions the diesel engine will start consuming it's own lube oil which will then cause the engine speed to keep accelerating until it blows itself apart.

What confidence that gives! LOL