Cold Trans Shifting Quality in 4wd Auto vs 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Ok, i know this is gonna sound really weird or ridiculous as it would seem that there would be no difference in 2WD and 4WD Auto in dry-road condition driving in terms of the 8HP70 cold shifting performance. Recently, I decided I would check the fluid level for my 8 speed trans and saw that I was between .25 and half quart low (I bought the truck used) so I filled it up properly. Between 86F and 122F, engine running and in P and rear jacked up so that the pan rail of trans is level. Following this procedure I went for a drive and it was a pretty wet and cold day so I put it in 4WD auto. At first, I thought perhaps that difference in fluid would not be enough to notice a difference (yeah i'm one of those ultra sensitive folks who feel the tiniest differences in dumb ****, admittedly). In any case, I took it out of 2WD and noticed that while still cold, the trans definitely felt like it was just not quite as smooth as in 4WD Auto. I find that really friggin bizarre, but anyways, does anyone else ever notice this and if you want, give it a try and see if you notice the same thing. I could see shifting being different when 4WD is active but in Auto, it's my understanding it isn't engaging anything rather just on standby.

Last edited: