Collapsing radiator hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2014 Dodge Ram with 5.7 hemi. 62902 miles. The top radiator hose collapses when engine is warm and revving motor. I have replaced thermostat, radiator cap, top hose, and radiator and still doing it. The engine is not running hot and all temps are normal. I’m at my wits end. Hope someone can help.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I found this, it may or may not help

The most common cause for radiator hose collapse is a vacuum issue caused by a faulty radiator cap. ... Another common problem is clogging of the smaller radiator runoff hose, which leads to the coolant tank. As the engine cools, if fluid cannot return to the tank, this will also cause a vacuum.

Ram trucks are picky when it comes to Radiator Caps
It is best to use a OEM Mopar cap designed for your vehicle

carverwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
18 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did the stat have a little tickler hole in it , that purges the air through the cooling system?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
2014 Dodge Ram with 5.7 hemi. 62902 miles. The top radiator hose collapses when engine is warm and revving motor. I have replaced thermostat, radiator cap, top hose, and radiator and still doing it. The engine is not running hot and all temps are normal. I’m at my wits end. Hope someone can help.
I have worked on plenty of HEMI cars and trucks with radiator hoses that have collapsed and some of them have been becuase of large air pockets in the system to a stopped up radiator and cheap radiator caps that dont release pressure at their specified psi. If it were mine, I would rent one of the air operated cooling system vacuum tools to remove any air from the cooling sytem and then I would continue my diagnostics from there.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I think that the 5.7L HEMI Water Pump is the highest place that coolant reaches in the system

On the Ram, there is sometimes a brace that makes getting to the water pump air bleed plug hard to get at
You would only use that plug when the coolant is cool.

The other place to bleed off air is also high on the water pump
When you spot the plug mentioned above, look about 5 inches to the right of that plug
There is a sensor there, carefully disconnect it & then remove it,
You can top off the coolant at the radiator cap & it will run out of the place where the sensor goes.

Whichever method that you use to remove the air bubbles.
You will need to top off the coolant with the engine running & have your HVAC Heater on

You can watch this video to get a better much much better explanation