Common issues with the 5th Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMan92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Only issue I've had with my 2020 was the notorious driver side interior water leak. Fixed it with silicone. I have the 12.1 inch screen and it's been amazing but I've heard the 2019's with the 12.1 had some pretty bad issues.

FoothillsFixIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No issues with my 2019 Limited. I love this truck! Not sure why I stuck with F-150 for 8 straight pickups, but glad I made the change.

CougarBFMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
2020 Limited with about 1,000 miles so far. Only issue was a water leak in the headliner above the driver's head, just ahead of the rear-most microphone. I traced it back to water leaking from a hex washer sheet metal screw that was on the forward half of the left side of the sunroof, screwed up from below through the guide frame for the sunroof. I backed it out, shoved some silicone dielectric grease in there, and then screwed it back in with one extra turn. No issues since.

Btp 2332

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you guys have your mirror dimmers on, I’m guessing both doors and rear view should dim the same ? My passenger side mirror doesn’t seem dim unless it’s not sensing correctly.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
When you guys have your mirror dimmers on, I’m guessing both doors and rear view should dim the same ? My passenger side mirror doesn’t seem dim unless it’s not sensing correctly.
Mine doesn’t either. Son pointed it out to me when he was driving.

OP
OP
BlownGP

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
2020 Limited with about 1,000 miles so far. Only issue was a water leak in the headliner above the driver's head, just ahead of the rear-most microphone. I traced it back to water leaking from a hex washer sheet metal screw that was on the forward half of the left side of the sunroof, screwed up from below through the guide frame for the sunroof. I backed it out, shoved some silicone dielectric grease in there, and then screwed it back in with one extra turn. No issues since.

You know that's great you fixed it but to me that's something you should not have to do.

Seems like a bad design.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
You know that's great you fixed it but to me that's something you should not have to do.

Seems like a bad design.
Just a warranty repair. The dealer could have/would have done the same thing. Cougar was mechanically inclined enough to save himself the time to have someone else do it.

How can you call a loose screw a bad design?

OP
OP
BlownGP

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Just a warranty repair. The dealer could have/would have done the same thing. Cougar was mechanically inclined enough to save himself the time to have someone else do it.

How can you call a loose screw a bad design?

I guess wrong choice of words.

To me water leaking in from a screw seems like something was done wrong from the factory.

CougarBFMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque

Seems like a bad design.

Based on what I saw, the design is bad, you're correct. But the time and effort to fix it myself was less than dealing with taking it to the dealer and hoping they figured it out the first time, which is unlikely in my experience.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Mine doesn’t either. Son pointed it out to me when he was driving.

I don't think the passenger side dims. In all my previous Ram's it was only the driver side. Same seems to hold true for this one as well.