Comp 260. To cam or not to cam...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueMeanies

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 QCSB RWD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been lurking for a while but decided it was time to man up and post. First timer.

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in towing, so here goes:

I'm on the fence about doing a cam swap. Done a bunch of reading to see if this is right for me, but could use a few direct as possible answers before I pull the trigger.

I have a bone stock '07 1500 2wd qc, 5.7, 20”. No cat back or headers. The truck may need to move back to CA so headers are a very limited option. Besides the Mrs. would object strongly to a loud truck, and when the Mrs. is miserable everybody is miserable.

The truck does have a sc 91 tune. Best thing I've done ever!

Most driving is long distance interstate while hauling or towing. The rest is around town daily driver stuff. I have a pretty light foot. This truck will NEVER see a strip while I own it so qt is of no matter to me. I'm after torque and mpg -if thats doable.

I've found one post somewhere that suggests that a Comp 260 would possibly give a slight boost in hwy mpg and a slight drop in city. Any thoughts on this?

Would the cam be a driveability improvement considering how I use the truck?

I really would appreciate some advice on the matter -Thanks!

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I am rebuilding my 5.7L and also do a lot of higjway towing. I have decided to replace the Torque converter going with an Edge 2400-2600 stall, larger transmission cooler and a Crazy Jay Plus cam. I did go with BBK shorty headers but the rest of my exhaust is stock. I was told that the shorty headers will give me about 10HP over the stock. I also have to get a custom tune with the Cam swap. Have you looked at the HP/Torque rpm curve for the 5.7L? That's what clinched the TC upgrade for me. Welcome to RF.

OP
OP
BlueMeanies

BlueMeanies

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 QCSB RWD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what you are saying is that there's significant torque to be recouped by swapping the TC?

Don't mean to sound ignorant but sometimes...:boxed:

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No an aftermarket tq converter is just much more efficient than the OE
And in combo with a cam and headers and custom hemifever tune your truck will really be a torque machine, or whatever you want!

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you ever win the lottery send me a tq converter too :p

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
You can find C.A.R.B compliant headers. A comp 260 will be a nice drop in cam for what your looking for and get a Trinity CRM tuned and turn off the MDS system. If you leave it on they tend to sound funky. I ran a cam, intake and tune for years and you will be surprised how much better it works with the supporting mods.

OP
OP
BlueMeanies

BlueMeanies

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 QCSB RWD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to pull the trigger on the cam and 6.1 springs first. JBA makes a KARB approved shorty when I can rassel up some more coin.

Back to TC's. From what I gather, the stock tc stalls at about 2500~ish. The Edge is 2400~2600? What would be the benifit of doing the swap? Not being a butthead, just wanting to know.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The aftermarket stall is cut and made with better internals. For the towing you do go with a 2600 stall and a bigger trans cooler.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The vendor here All Mopar Parts has them for 6.10 each, so like 98 bucks plus shipping. make sure to order 16 exhaust springs only. I've seen threads where some guys use the pushrods too, but I don't know the benefit. Stronger maybe?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The rods are diff lengths. Get 8 6.1 intakes and 8 6.1 exhaust pushrods while you are ordering.

mcraezy87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not to confuse him, but only to clarify; 16 Exhaust Springs. 8 Intake and 8 exhaust pushrods. All 6.1 of course.... The pushrods are a stronger one piece design, opposed to the 5.7's three piece, steel tube with a ball welded to each end

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi All,

Op if you want more torque down low use a tuner to retard the cam timing a degree or two.
Drag racers use this a lot to advance cam timing so they can get the hp peak and torque peak closer to each in order to maximize power at high rpm. Did this on a 69 Bee with 383 with comp cam K kit and molly push rods. Advanced cam 4 degrees using offset keys on the cam timing gear.

preachp

OP
OP
BlueMeanies

BlueMeanies

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 QCSB RWD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks preachp. I do want it at the bottom and mid.

Not sure I'm ballsy enough to start messing with timing though. I've never ripped this far into an engine before. However if I do, you can bet I'll be pestering everyone in this forum to ad nauseum with questions to make 110% sure I'm doing it right.

OP
OP
BlueMeanies

BlueMeanies

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 QCSB RWD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW, the cam arrived. Read over the specs. The Comp 260 has 4 deg adv built into the grind so I'll leave well enough alone.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So does that mean it can be ran like that or the runs like that being ground in the cam?