Compression coil springs.. which way is up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Herde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 L6
HI
I removed the 5in lift from the front of my 2007 Ram 2500 HD SLT 4x4 and replaced it with some detroit leveling variable compression springs (If I recall correctly.. I threw out the packaging and info.). Both the old 5in springs and 3" springs have a larger diameter on one end. The 5in springs had been installed with the larger diameter end on the bottom so I installed the 3in springs the same way. They fit in fine that way. The problem is that the looser end of the compression coil is the larger diameter and I have all those closely spaced coils down on the bottom where the stabilizer bar has no space to float between the coils. It is rubbing on the spring. (see picture). The 5in springs were constant compression.

Can / should I try to install the spring with the larger diameter up?

There may be some kind of rubber shim on the top under the shock mount, but I am not sure if this can be moved to the bottom spring mount. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Is there a more appropriate fix that I should investigate?
Any wisdom is appreciated.
If I know a little more about what I should be looking for before I tear it apart again, that would be wonderful.
Thanks..
David
IMG_20210331_194654504.jpg

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
May need to rotate the spring so it bows the other direction. Where is the end of your coil?

OP
OP
D

David Herde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 L6
It doesn't really bow that I can detect.
The end is placed into the 'cup' in the same orientation that the old springs were in. Doesn't say much because who knows if the old springs were twisted properly. In the picture, the system is under almost enough load to raise the truck. There is a jack under the drive tube and a jackstand under the frame. If I were to add much more lift to the jack, the truck would raise off the frame jackstand.

I'll check the spring end orientation in the morning and let you know.
Thanks..

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

David Herde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 L6
should the spring ends be oriented in a particular direction?

Just a note both side are like this. The stabilizer links rub both springs.

OP
OP
D

David Herde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 L6
If you are looking down from above at the spring and forward is 12:00, the end of the bottom of the spring rests at 7:00.

OP
OP
D

David Herde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 L6
Crazykid1994..
Thank you for your wisdom.
Twisted the spring around so the end of the coil was towards the front of the vehicle. Looks like I will have about 1/2" clearance.
When I bring it back down, I'll post another picture.

Best..
David