Compromised Gas Mileage with Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
HoustonChiver

HoustonChiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tires are usually the biggest culprit when it comes to fuel econ. Getting everything calibrated to the new tires size will help be more accurate with what the gagues say, but at this point driving style is going to be your best bet. Raised trucks gulp fuel it is what it is. do you have an AT or a MT tire?

Nitto Ridge Grapplers

TOTALCHAOS69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 305/55-20 Mud Claws I had put on a few weeks ago weighed 70-75 pounds each. Don’t look like they’d be so heavy until you grab one as you’re walking.... then you’re NOT WALKING anymore. :emotions133:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went from a completely stock truck, changed the tires out to a bit more aggressive tire (goodyear ultra terrains, stock size) and lost a solid 1 (if not 2) mpg. Stock size tire, still p-rated, just a bit more aggressive...ate up a mile or two per gallon.

Its just bound to happen.

slbenz600

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
I have 2015 Ram 2500 4X4 6.4L Hemi. When I ask these people about better mileage the response was "if you want to haul or tow mileage per gallon isn't an option". That is a big lie, I am getting 18 to 20 mpg empty all day long. I done a bunch of research on the old Hemi to the new to figure out the reason the older Hemi's got higher mpg. One of the big things Ram has done is choke this engine down so bad there is no wonder why. The back pressure is so bad it's building up so much exhaust it's choking it's self.
The back pressure needs to be reduced and I have found two different ways both require to discard the "Y" pipe, in place of the "Y" pipe install an "X" pipe or install 3 inch pipes from cat's back to a Flow master muffler that is two 3 inch pipes in and out the "X" is built internal to the muffler.
My truck not only increased mpg but hp and torque. Before doing this it didn't have the power to pass anything it towed and hauled but was a big POS. know if I nail the throttle it goes sound is awesome and I couldn't ask for better results.
The one problem you will have most muffler shops say that you need that back pressure so most won't due a true dual exhaust system one of the reasons is they are not smart enough to no that the cat's stay there your either install an "X" pipe or Muffler with built in "X" pipe.
Enjoy your new truck

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
I have 6" lift on 35" tires MT but not super aggressive, 12" wheel and I get 15.5 recalibrated. I eas in the upper 16mpg before all of it. My mikeage is pretty mixed. Now if I ran 80 plus and heavy foot I'll dip into the upper 13's.
I run a Pulsar mostly stock w MDS on.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Lift will effect your hwy mpg more than city because the extra wind drag comes into effect. Tires will have greater effect city driving trying to get a heavier rotating mass going over and over. Wider tires also have more drag, which effects all. There's a reason high fuel economy vehicles sit low and have skinny low resistance tires. I have nitto ridge grapples. I like them, but they're heavy and I notice an mpg drop when they're on even with my mostly highway miles. I wouldn't trust any intakes, tunes etc to gain you mpg on a gas engine. The manufacturers spend countless dollars trying squeeze out every mpg they can.

Last edited:

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I never could understand the whole "Big tire" thing,,makes no sense especially if its a road warrior! Larger tires do not help you unless you are driving in alot of loose dirt/rock/sand crawling, we know there are alot of rocks to crawl over on the way to work! If your in Mud, a skinny tire is best, the only way a large wide tire helps in mud is if you have alot of HP and rpm's to skip over the deep mud.

Since I drive mostly on the streets, I have a stock lift, I don't race off road anymore and I work my truck so I have commercial tires (33") same size as stock.

I don't get trucks with gas engines anymore because of the efficiency of them, not just fuel, but power and torque which matters to me. I do have a few very high HP cars but then I race them...

To get mileage from an engine there is alot to think about, gearing, tire mass, vehicle weight and aerodynamics. Common sense would tell you that bigger tires, lower aerodynamics factor would affect your MPG's. You want to get your mileage back? get skinnier tires and drop that truck back down!
You would also need to make your engine as fuel efficient as possible, but that is another story.

cash4acres

4lb pompano
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L,660ftLbs=G56 Manual 6 speed
Should have bought a Cummins.

IMG_20201220_075430252_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

keisur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
37's and 6" lift and I'm averaging 17 at 65. You probably need to calibrate your speedometer.

20210118_195759.jpg

AC Davidson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a pulsar tuner installed to recalibrate my speedo and added performance. The MPG with the tuner is around 13.5. It’s not bad but not great. The MPG is probably the best it’s going to get because of the 37s I have.