Confirmed 1,000 lb-ft, 8 speed gas, new updates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know we've talked about the truck plant retooling costs/timing thing already but the new HDs still feel like a mid-model refresh to me.

Yeah, they changed a lot of stuff, "new from the ground up . . ." but stuff from the A-pillars back really carry over. There's new tech, clearly, and the cabin isolation is supposed to be a whopping 10 dB better than the last generation.

But it just doesn't feel *finished*. Like:

• The floor's still not flat in the back row
  • The mega cab's rear seats have only 6 degrees more recline than the 2019 Ram 1500 rear seats
  • The price is (almost certainly but not confirmed in writing yet) up

None of this is surprising but the entire package isn't compelling enough to drive a trade in of my 2014 1500.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know we've talked about the truck plant retooling costs/timing thing already but the new HDs still feel like a mid-model refresh to me.

Yeah, they changed a lot of stuff, "new from the ground up . . ." but stuff from the A-pillars back really carry over. There's new tech, clearly, and the cabin isolation is supposed to be a whopping 10 dB better than the last generation.

But it just doesn't feel *finished*. Like:

• The floor's still not flat in the back row
  • The mega cab's rear seats have only 6 degrees more recline than the 2019 Ram 1500 rear seats
  • The price is (almost certainly but not confirmed in writing yet) up

None of this is surprising but the entire package isn't compelling enough to drive a trade in of my 2014 1500.

It is a sorta refresh, the complete new model is suppose to be 2022 IIRC

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is a sorta refresh, the complete new model is suppose to be 2022 IIRC

Yeah, that's only 3 years away; we'll see if they actually do the "all new" truck then.

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I need to stop drinking for the night, I read this as 1000 ft lb 8 speed gas....then I started to read in on it and it made sense. Either way one hell of a RAM.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab

I don't think they look bad at all. That 3500 is pretty badass

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Freakin' Rad!!!! I think it looks great, inside and out. Not sure what you all want in a truck but there is really only so much you can do to a truck to make it "better" or whatever you all want. One of you said from the "A" Pillar back it looks the same. Well, What do you want between the "A" pillar and the back of the cab or truck bed. Put in a new/different crease in the sheet metal to give it a different look? It's the side of a door and body panel on the bedsides.

You all wanted more power on the Cummins, an 8 speed behind the 6.4 and some upgraded technology and newer and nice grill. Well, you got all you wanted.

Someone said a fully redesigned truck will come out in 2022. So the 5th gen will only be a three year project. I doubt it. You've got this 5th gen for the next 5-7 years.

This is far better than the new GM truck they just put out as far as asthetics go and the drive train seems pretty much unbeatable as well. If I didn't have so many expenses coming up in the next three years I'd be trading in my 2015 MC for a 2019/20 truck 3500 SRW Diesel with the HO Cummins.

Sorry, carry on.....….

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like the look a lot. More than the new 1500. Chrome now covers that ugly painted piece above the bumper. Grill is tall and not pinched......okay it’s a 4.5, not a 5, but I’d go for it.

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Pretty impressive. A lot of towing features, adaptive cruise, adaptive headlights, multiple camera angles and mirror mounted LED spots for trailer backing assist. It's a shame I bought my 2018 3500 five months ago. Although I usually stray from new model year vehicles.

I thought it was cool they had a promo video with a trailer like mine.
2019promo.JPG

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I really don't get too caught on looks. My main preference is less chrome but whatever. What I can tell you will a total game changer is the 8spd with the 6.4 Hemi. I tow heavy (11K 5th wheel in the mountains out west) with my 2014 and the tranny SUCKS! The gear spacing and shifting behavior is just awful. I have to think an 8spd will completely unleash the beast. When I can get in the power band and get the RPMs up I can easily accelerate between 60-70 up a 6% grade, even at some altitude. The problem is getting it all moving up to that speed. The 1-2 gap is ridiculous and I look for the 8spd to totally take care of that. God, this is going to be awful reading everyday about how great these things tow. And I just got mine paid off and was enjoying no truck payment. Arrrrrrrgh

OP
OP
mohemipar

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I really don't get too caught on looks. My main preference is less chrome but whatever. What I can tell you will a total game changer is the 8spd with the 6.4 Hemi. I tow heavy (11K 5th wheel in the mountains out west) with my 2014 and the tranny SUCKS! The gear spacing and shifting behavior is just awful. I have to think an 8spd will completely unleash the beast. When I can get in the power band and get the RPMs up I can easily accelerate between 60-70 up a 6% grade, even at some altitude. The problem is getting it all moving up to that speed. The 1-2 gap is ridiculous and I look for the 8spd to totally take care of that. God, this is going to be awful reading everyday about how great these things tow. And I just got mine paid off and was enjoying no truck payment. Arrrrrrrgh

The 6.4 in the HDs has been like a caged lion since 2014, now it will be free! lol

Jeff Courtney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
mtofell, Is there no way of adjusting the shift points on our trucks via tuner/programer? In t/h mine holds 1st forever, then 2,3,4 shift to soon. horrible

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
mtofell, Is there no way of adjusting the shift points on our trucks via tuner/programer? In t/h mine holds 1st forever, then 2,3,4 shift to soon. horrible

There probably is but I've never gone that route due to warranty. Also, the shift pattern annoyance can be eliminated by just manually shifting which I do 95% of the time while towing. The gear ratios are by far my main complaint. Specifically, the 1-2 gap. There's just kind of a no-zone of about 35-45 mph while towing heavy up a steep hill. It's worst on a winding mountain road. The truck will literally just slam itself back and forth between 1st and 2nd constantly. Basically, you just have to lock it into first and putt along at 30 until you can maintain enough speed to hold 2nd. Gearing would probably make it a lot better. Honestly, none of this matters when I'm daily driving which is (unfortunately) what I'm doing 95% of the time. If I were out with the RV more I'd definitely do some re-gearing... or, maybe get a new truck :)

Jeff Courtney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I tow everyday and have found that if I don't use tow/haul and set the trans. range to 5 it drives/shifts better. But I'm only towing around 3k #'s. Gotta check into better shocks to help with ride.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
There probably is but I've never gone that route due to warranty. Also, the shift pattern annoyance can be eliminated by just manually shifting which I do 95% of the time while towing. The gear ratios are by far my main complaint. Specifically, the 1-2 gap. There's just kind of a no-zone of about 35-45 mph while towing heavy up a steep hill. It's worst on a winding mountain road. The truck will literally just slam itself back and forth between 1st and 2nd constantly. Basically, you just have to lock it into first and putt along at 30 until you can maintain enough speed to hold 2nd. Gearing would probably make it a lot better. Honestly, none of this matters when I'm daily driving which is (unfortunately) what I'm doing 95% of the time. If I were out with the RV more I'd definitely do some re-gearing... or, maybe get a new truck :)

This precisely why I traded to a different truck. I thought I was a patient man. You sir are a saint. The new 8 speed will no doubt be great for the 6.4. I am happy Ram has done this. Almost tempting to give Ram another try. Meanwhile I will enjoy what I have now. Good luck with your new truck Mtofell! Cheers!