Considering a 2020 Power wagon

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 PW
Engine
6.4L
Didn't the Power Wagon get the larger 11.5 rear axle beginning in 2014 through today? My 2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman with the Power Wagon option in Colorado looks awfully a lot like the same rear axle assembly of our 2014 Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4 in Wyoming. Got to verify those short tube diameters the next time that we get both trucks in the same location.

Last edited:

TPW19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
You must be registered for see images attach

erik53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L
I am shopping for a regular 2500 gas with the 4.10:1. My dealer didn't have one, but offered me a test drive in a low miles PW. The PW experience was dominated by an extremely loud exhaust sound. The salesman implied that this is a feature of the PW, for those who like it. I don't. Before you get the PW, make sure your whole family likes the "loud biker" sound. Or was my tester actually modified to make it loud?

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
post a photo of your door sticker. mine build equipment says 6000 too but my door sticker says 4750 and I bet yours does too.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am shopping for a regular 2500 gas with the 4.10:1. My dealer didn't have one, but offered me a test drive in a low miles PW. The PW experience was dominated by an extremely loud exhaust sound. The salesman implied that this is a feature of the PW, for those who like it. I don't. Before you get the PW, make sure your whole family likes the "loud biker" sound. Or was my tester actually modified to make it loud?
had to be modified as they have the same exhaust as any other 2500/3500 with 6.4L. mine is very quiet almost too quiet...

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
red arrows shows the area where its different

AlexC2350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Stock 6.4 is not loud. I Have had 2, the first one got very loud with after market exhaust and the new one will not see a louder exhaust.

To OP, I had a 2018 tradesman 2500 with 6.4 it was just a basic level tradesman. I wasn’t totally into getting an hd truck for the reason of ride quality, I like how half tons ride. I test drove both Ford and chevy gasser 2500 before going with the ram. It was much much smoother ride than the other two. Still stiff unloaded, but with my 9k loaded camper and truck was an absolute dream and made camping even better. This spring I picked up a 2020 tradesman level 2 with off-road package with 4.10 rear end. Let me tell you it’s night and day better than the 18, So smooth, and snappy power on command with the 8 speed and 4.10s. I love it. I use my truck all over job sites, fishing, hunting, road trips, towing, hauling, and plowing it can do all damn good. With 3146 payload I have no worries.

My 2 cents are Power wagons are awesome but super geared towards off road and if you plan on more camper you’ll end up needing more truck or having to put a bunch of money into it to tow better but still never change the payload and tow cap. I also have a 2010 Tacoma 2wd that I rip around in to save gas I do a ton of miles and don’t always need an hd truck. So you could always pick up a cheap “work truck” for daily commutes, my understanding is the hemi doesn’t like short rips and neither do diesels.

BowerPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
red arrows shows the area where its different
I bet you wouldn't admit defeat if I went to the dealer and measure it myself. Build sheet says 6000# axle because all 2500 and 3500 have the same front axle as indicated by chrysler themselves.

I will try to go by the dealer before work tonight to measure that for you with pictures of course.

Didn't the Power Wagon get the larger 11.5 rear axle beginning in 2014 through today? My 2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman with the Power Wagon option in Colorado looks awfully a lot like the same rear axle assembly of our 2014 Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4 in Wyoming. Got to verify those short tube diameters the next time that we get both trucks in the same location.
Build sheet claims 11.5 rear axle. All non HO Cummins trucks have same rear. Supposedly the power wagons have tuffer axle shafts.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bet you wouldn't admit defeat if I went to the dealer and measure it myself. Build sheet says 6000# axle because all 2500 and 3500 have the same front axle as indicated by chrysler themselves.

I will try to go by the dealer before work tonight to measure that for you with pictures of course.

well ive already measured them. but yes please do go get some photos so you can see for yourself

BowerPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Power wagon
3500 gasser
2500 diesel

OH MY... is that the same axle on 3 completely different trucks.