Considering a 2020 Power wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did the $95 Engine Block Heater come factory equipped with the $181 cord so that you could actually use it? Reference Mopar 68409909AB
Yes it has the cord attached. It was well hidden. It was coiled and zip tied behind the bumper.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Did the $95 Engine Block Heater come factory equipped with the $181 cord so that you could actually use it? Reference Mopar 68409909AB
My son bought a 2021 2500 Cummins a few months ago and there was no cord. The block heater was there but not the cord. He got them to throw in the cord including install but hasn't taken it back to get it done. They told him to wait until first oil change but he told them at this rate that won't be until next year. But they said the cord was $120. There was an after market cord on Amazon for like $30 but he told them he wanted the Mopar one

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep. Especially when the dealer is paying for it anyway.

And yeah my 6.4 has the block heater too but I have never used it

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My son bought a 2021 2500 Cummins a few months ago and there was no cord. The block heater was there but not the cord. He got them to throw in the cord including install but hasn't taken it back to get it done. They told him to wait until first oil change but he told them at this rate that won't be until next year. But they said the cord was $120. There was an after market cord on Amazon for like $30 but he told them he wanted the Mopar one

well you could just put the cord on yourself in probly 20min if even that long. why be completely helpless and rely on somebody else to do every little tiny thing for you

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well you could just put the cord on yourself in probly 20min if even that long. why be completely helpless and rely on somebody else to do every little tiny thing for you
There he is lol

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if the heating element is already installed in the block then hooking up the cord is barely more difficult than pluggin a vacuum cleaner

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well wise-guy...he wants them to do it cause they agreed and because of warranty purposes. He really doesn't need it around here since we don't usually see extreme colds but if he has to go back on the road to Minnesota or North Dakota where it as -20 on a good day then he wants to have it. So there isn't really a rush on it. Besides, the cord is at the dealership so if he drives an hour to pick it up he might as well have them install it.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Talked to my son earlier today and he took his truck to the dealer Thursday and they installed the new cord

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
since the majority of folks within the lower 48 states that have it, don't ever use it.

i have to ask where you found that data. or is it based off a handful of threads you saw on the forums ?
heres whats easy for anyone to understand and see for theirself without any forum clouding reality. the engine starts easier, warms up faster and cabin heater works quicker and a small bit of the heat is absorbed by the tranny. probly a book could be written on the mechanical wear and tear as well. although alot of people may not keep the vehicle enough years to see the long term wear affects or if they do see some affects they fail to associate it with never using the block heater.
if a person is so desperate to save $7 month power bill then dont plug in but otherwise i see no good reason not to

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
double post

Last edited:

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Minus 30 celsius and below (negative 22 Fahrenheit) is the recommend engine block heater plug in per some Canadian websites, but to help lower vehicle emissions it can be plugged in at negative 15C (5F) and below. I've lived within the Colorado Rockies for 25 years and have yet to see one used even in the rarely below minus 22F extreme cold in Gunnison. The Dealership might have "unintentionally" overlooked including the cord since the majority of folks within the lower 48 states that have it, don't ever use it.
I was just looking in my owners manual (2020) and it clearly states that the cord on the diesel is a factory installed option and if needed can be obtained from dealership. So that indicates to me that it is not included with the heater. On the gas engine it specifically states the cord is included with the block heater option..strange stuff indeed.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah my truck and my son's old 2018 2500 6.4 both have the block heaters and the cords. But his new Cummins had the heater but no cord. Definitely weird.
He was in Williston, ND for 5 months and the day he drove back home was in December and it was -10* F driving home towing his TT. He was in Thief River Falls, MN for a few months the following winter too and it was pretty cold there. I don't think he ever plugged his 6.4 in but probably would have plugged the Cummins in if he had it then. He can't fit his truck in his garage so he will probably plug it in this winter when it gets cold enough. I have never plugged mine in either but I work from home and mine sits for days at a time sometimes and when it gets real cold or we get much snow mine is in the garage.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agreed. To get his Power Wagon up to the right stuff for towing at full load in all seasons with the same 3PMSF rating and a similar tread pattern as the Duratrac, but in a Load Range E it will be pricey. Figure $2,300 for 5 tires to change over minus what he can get for a used set of 2020 Power Wagon Duratrac tires.

My estimate is based on 35 12.50R17 Toyo C/T tires. Retail price is approximately $400 each without additional taxes, balancing, and installation costs.

Load E GY Duratrac tires $1014 for 4 including installation and alignment.

If your paying that much let me know and I will sell you tires.

Now back to the axle debacle, I have an 8k axle.