Considering a 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Planemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
My wife and I are nearing retirement and wanting to buy a travel trailer and become semi nomads camping cross country for several weeks at a time. The trailers we are looking are all capable of being towed with a 1/2 truck but, the advice on other forums are to go with a 3/4 ton and most specify the Ram 2500.

So, I am looking at a used 2015 - 2016 crew cab with the diesel engine and have a few questions:

Any issues with buying used?
Looking at Big Horn but would consider the SLT so, what is the difference?
What should I be looking for when buying used?
Any and all helpful tips would be much appreciated?

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What kind of camper do you want? That should be the first question, as the Paulo’s on the 2500 Diesels is not what I would call enough for some other 5th wheels.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40
2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

OP
OP
P

Planemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
What kind of camper do you want? That should be the first question, as the Paulo’s on the 2500 Diesels is not what I would call enough for some other 5th wheels.

Looking at travel trailer

Dry weight ~7,000 pounds
Max weight ~9,000 pounds
Tongue weight ~1,000 pounds

Not looking for a giant 5th wheel

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
A 3/4 ton diesel is a perfect truck for those weights with a TT. Certainly, shop used but it's tough out there. Trucks currently hold their value better than just about any other vehicle these days so you'll be shocked how close to new truck prices you'll find on one that's just a couple years old.

Also, with used there is the risk that it has had some kind of damage (flood, accident, etc.). You may also find better financing options with brand new if that matters at all.

As for options a Big Horn is very similar to an SLT but maybe a slight upgrade. For example, I think most BH come with heated seats and the larger Uconnect screen where many SLT have the smaller screen and no heated seats. I have a 2014 Outdoorsman (I think it's been discontinued) and it's basically a Big Horn. Nicely optioned but not over the top.

OP
OP
P

Planemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
A 3/4 ton diesel is a perfect truck for those weights with a TT. Certainly, shop used but it's tough out there. Trucks currently hold their value better than just about any other vehicle these days so you'll be shocked how close to new truck prices you'll find on one that's just a couple years old.

Also, with used there is the risk that it has had some kind of damage (flood, accident, etc.). You may also find better financing options with brand new if that matters at all.

As for options a Big Horn is very similar to an SLT but maybe a slight upgrade. For example, I think most BH come with heated seats and the larger Uconnect screen where many SLT have the smaller screen and no heated seats. I have a 2014 Outdoorsman (I think it's been discontinued) and it's basically a Big Horn. Nicely optioned but not over the top.

Thanks, I work with a person who owns a buying service. He has a dealers license and purchases from the same auctions that dealers do. He hires a service to grade out the vehicles going for auction, looks at carfax and figures a price. It's my option to pull the trigger and my cost is his price plus $1,000).

I've bought three cars from him and we've saved thousands. I'm hoping the dealers have huge markup that I can avoid.

I've never owed a diesel

Any issues with purchasing a diesel with around 50,000 miles?

Hd74ica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
50k miles barely broken in. Something to remember the 6.7 holds about 13 qts of oil if I recall correctly. 10k between oil changes but you also have the emissions to think of DPF and all, I think the '16 has the DEF fluid. Lastly shorts trips with the Cummins is difficult on that motor. Let us know how it goes.

David

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
All of what these guys have said. Nothing to add, and please do let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
P

Planemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
50k miles barely broken in. Something to remember the 6.7 holds about 13 qts of oil if I recall correctly. 10k between oil changes but you also have the emissions to think of DPF and all, I think the '16 has the DEF fluid. Lastly shorts trips with the Cummins is difficult on that motor. Let us know how it goes.

David

There isn't a need to drive some thing like this around town, I've got other vehicles for that.

It's going to sit in the driveway unless we are traveling. I would suppose there would be limited short trips while on the road but, the majority of the miles will on long drives.

Thanks for the advice.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
. Something to remember the 6.7 holds about 13 qts of oil if I recall correctly. 10k between oil changes but you also have the emissions to think of DPF and all, I think the '16 has the DEF fluid. Lastly shorts trips with the Cummins is difficult on that motor. Let us know how it goes.

David

It's 12 quarts and 15k between changes.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks, I work with a person who owns a buying service. He has a dealers license and purchases from the same auctions that dealers do. He hires a service to grade out the vehicles going for auction, looks at carfax and figures a price. It's my option to pull the trigger and my cost is his price plus $1,000).

I've bought three cars from him and we've saved thousands. I'm hoping the dealers have huge markup that I can avoid.

I've never owed a diesel

Any issues with purchasing a diesel with around 50,000 miles?

That sounds like a nice connection. If buying used I'd be sure to get an expert set of eyes on it to look for past wrecks or damage. And don't trust Carfax. There are all kinds of things that can happen to a vehicle that don't make Carfax and similar reporting agencies. I have a buddy who owns a business called Auto Damage Experts. He's been in auto body his whole life and it amazes me what he can see in a car that I can't.

I've been accused of being a worrier but I'd definitely have my radar up for a +/- 2 year old truck that was going through an auction. Most dealers that take those in will just add 10K to what they gave in trade and sell it on their lot close to instantly.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
That sounds like a nice connection. If buying used I'd be sure to get an expert set of eyes on it to look for past wrecks or damage. And don't trust Carfax. There are all kinds of things that can happen to a vehicle that don't make Carfax and similar reporting agencies. I have a buddy who owns a business called Auto Damage Experts. He's been in auto body his whole life and it amazes me what he can see in a car that I can't.

I've been accused of being a worrier but I'd definitely have my radar up for a +/- 2 year old truck that was going through an auction. Most dealers that take those in will just add 10K to what they gave in trade and sell it on their lot close to instantly.

^This is most often the case.

If you see a diesel truck, with lower miles, come through the auction, there are usually two possibilities. One, somebody traded it in at a high end import dealership and they do not deal in that type of vehicle. Or two, there is something wrong with it, and the other dealership wants to unload it.

Be weary of the auction trucks unless you have a mechanic you trust, who know diesels, look it over.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
sub'd. In for the pics. Good luck, OP.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is just my opinion but I would really think about the trailer first. How long do you expect to live it at a time? Nomad type life is not like camping for the weekend or a week's vacation. Decide on the trailer first and then match the truck. I say this because my dad had a f250 diesel that he had completely set up with air bags and the works and he wished he had a 350 drw just because of the weight. He had a 40' Tri axle 5th wheel and when traveling to be "legal" he couldn't have any water in the tank. I know you said you weren't interested in a 5th wheel however they are so much nicer if you are planning on spending alot of time living in it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Planemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel

Thanks

This guy picked up a 2012 Honda CRV for me a few years ago. It was at the end of a 3 year lease and only had 13,000 miles on it. I too was surprised it ended up at auction but it does happen. I ended up getting the car for $4K under retail.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
OP, a few recommendations.

First, find out the idle percentage on the truck. It should be on one of the menus in the dash. Stay away from anything that has 20% or more idle hours and preferably stay around 10% or less. If the truck is at a Ram dealer, make sure they get the water pump recall done before you take delivery. The oil and fuel change interval is 15k, and not the 10k that was stated before. The fuel filters are very easy to do(15 min max), but the dealer will charge you an arm and a leg to do them so Google how to change them and save yourself some money. Also, if the truck has more than 60k, make sure the crank case filter has been changed.

I would not worry about towing what you tow with a 3/4 ton. Even though 2500's are maxed out by the government regulated class 2B they are in at 10k GVWR, they can handle way more then that. The different between a 3500 and 2500 diesel ratings wise is only 500 lbs less GAWR in the rear.

Last edited:

PNW-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
These things hold their value pretty well, so make sure to price new trucks as well.

Are you planning on a single cab or a 4 door (I may have missed that)? Single cabs are hard to find, but tend to get big price drops on the dealer lot when new (I got 12.5k off MSRP on mine) and paid 41,500 for a well equipped '17 just before the '18s came out. Single cab trucks are only available as ST & Tradesman, so there's no leather seats options.

I like my Tradesman. It's comfy, quiet and gets great mileage. I don't have a bunch of "nice" options, like leather seats, as they just aren't available on a single cab.

I think a 2500 CTD should haul a trailer quite well, and do a much better job than a 1500 would, especially in the long run.

If I was buying a rig mostly for towing, I'd make sure to get he integrated trailer brake controller. Also, you'll LOVE the exhaust brake on the the CTD - that, plus better mileage are the main reasons I'd choose diesel over gas.

Note: The 2500 does not come standard with a limited slip differential. I think putting 800 lb/ft of torque to the ground through one tire is not a great idea. If it were my truck, I'd make sure to get "anti-spin" diff. I'm sure some people would disagree with that.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can get into a Brand new tradesman for like 42k-
Just keep that in mind-
The apr on new is better than used as well.
Lots of dealers are selling the new diesels with Lifetime 3rd party warranties now and they seem to be pretty decent.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I don't understand why it's standard on the 3500 and optional on the 2500.

800 lb/ft through one tire? Really?
It may not be a standard feature. But I doubt you’ll find one without lsd on a 2500. I haven’t seen one that don’t have it. Maybe unless you ordereded it without lol.