Considering a 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't understand why it's standard on the 3500 and optional on the 2500.

800 lb/ft through one tire? Really?

I'm not sure it is "standard" on all 3500's? You have to remember the "standard" (base stripped gas model that they all start from) doesn't have many options. Soon as you add one thing like a diesel engine it includes a lot of other things such as a LS dif etc.
The standard truck is pretty stripped down

BuggyMasters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It may not be a standard feature. But I doubt you’ll find one without lsd on a 2500. I haven’t seen one that don’t have it. Maybe unless you ordereded it without lol.
Believe it or not there are plenty out there. The lack of LSD is how I wound up in the truck I have. I was originally all set on getting a different truck until I discovered it didn’t have the LSD. That killed the deal on it and it worked out great because I found the truck I wound up with a few days later. I just couldn’t believe there was any 2500....and a Laramie at that...without LSD by default. As cheap as the option is I am trying to find a legitimate reason to not have it as a default option.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Believe it or not there are plenty out there. The lack of LSD is how I wound up in the truck I have. I was originally all set on getting a different truck until I discovered it didn’t have the LSD. That killed the deal on it and it worked out great because I found the truck I wound up with a few days later. I just couldn’t believe there was any 2500....and a Laramie at that...without LSD by default. As cheap as the option is I am trying to find a legitimate reason to not have it as a default option.
Wonder if location has something to do with dealers making sure it’s on their trucks they get. I have a tradesman with 5.7 and it has lsd

OzarksRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think it depends on the dealers and how they decide to order their trucks. When I was looking for my truck I was coming from a Chevy where I believe almost all of them have LSD. The trucks on the lot at the dealer I bought from had LSD if they were the Big Horn or Laramie trim. The Tradesman that I bought had all the options I wanted and was cheaper but didn't have the "anti-spin" differential. I missed it on the build sheet and I have cussed myself ever since. Such a cheap options that costs a ton to add later. Never understood why a dealer would order a truck with out it in the first place.

PNW-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I'm not sure it is "standard" on all 3500's? You have to remember the "standard" (base stripped gas model that they all start from) doesn't have many options. Soon as you add one thing like a diesel engine it includes a lot of other things such as a LS dif etc.
The standard truck is pretty stripped down

I have a Tradesman CTD. When I was researching trucks in '17, the LSD was an option on the 2500 and standard equipment on the 3500. It may have changed, but that's how it was in '17.

It's one of the reasons I ended up with a 3500; finding a single cab 4x4 CTD was hard enough, but also having the few options I wanted (cloth not vinyl seats, LSD and power window & locks) made for a long search. Single cab is XL or Tradesman only, and a bunch of them have almost no options at all.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Dayum! Ya I got stuck in my front yard after a day of heavy rains. Buddy tried to pull me out...then he was stuck. Had to wait until next morning and get father in laws tractor. Heard about it for several years lol

My biggest mistake was not turning off the traction control or having it in 4wd before I crossed, but it didn't look as sloppy as it was on the surface. The traction control slowed me down to a crawl and it was already too late by the time I put it in 4wd.

PNW-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
It may not be a standard feature. But I doubt you’ll find one without lsd on a 2500. I haven’t seen one that don’t have it. Maybe unless you ordereded it without lol.

I walked away from half a dozen 2500s, because they didn't have LSD.
Single cab trucks are mostly Tradesman, with almost no options.

gsfitzsr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I would decide on the trailer first. I purchased my 2500 only to find out my 5th wheel trailer puts me over the GVWR of 10K lbs. when loaded out with gear, a full tank of fuel and my spouse in the passenger seat. If you decide on a 5th wheel don't go by the manufacturers website on hitch weight because it's approximate and your actual weight will probably be more by a few hundred pounds depending on what options are included (2nd AC, larger fridge, etc). When you find the trailer you want get the spec sheet on that trailer which shows actual axle and hitch weights measured at the factory. My configuration does not overload the rear axle or tires, but I do exceed the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) by 400 lbs. And of course, when you add the 5th wheel hitch you increase the payload again and 4x4's are heavier because of the added transfer cases, and the Cummins adds a big chunk also. All of this reduces the GVWR of the vehicle.

Do your homework before you purchase anything. Understand the GVWR, axle ratings, tire ratings, max trailer weight, max combined vehicle/trailer weight rating, etc... Only then will you know the 2500 is the way to go.

Good luck..

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
2500's are regulated to a max 10k GVWR due to the Class 2B they are in regardless if their axle ratings allow them to go higher. Only 500 lbs of GAWR separate a 3500 from a 2500 yet a 2500 has over 1,500 lbs less GVWR due to this 10k max of it's class. The Class 3 that a 3500 is in has a max GVWR of 14,000 lbs so a SRW 3500 is no where near maxing out in its class like a 2500 is.

These truck class GVWR's have remained the same for decades and have not changed along with modern truck capabilities and technology. Changing them would require a bureaucrat to do something and I would not hold my breath waiting for that to happen unless it is way to get more money out of taxpayers.

However, the trucks sticker GVWR has no legal ramifications and it is the GVWR that you registered and paid taxes on that matters. Many states like Texas allow you register a higher GVWR than the manufacturers GVWR.

Last edited:

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
We all know once you go over by 400lbs the popo will find you amd ticket you cause they can tell. Also once your reach that pivotal 400lbs over the truck will crap itself cause that’s just too much weight :anitoof::anitoof::anitoof: