Considering buying a used 2018 Eco Diesel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
I currently own a 2014 1500 with the Pentastar V6 engine. I've not had a single issue with it in over 125K miles. Recently my daily commute has gone from 70 miles to now 140. I've started to look at other vehicle options mainly for fuel economy but also because my truck is getting long in the tooth especially considering my needs. My dilemma is that I love my truck and trucks in general and I'm also dealing with a couple of lingering injuries as a result of my military career but who isn't these days. Anyway the comfort of sitting in a truck far outweighs the need for fuel economy. So all this got me started thinking about the Eco Diesel. I can drive the vehicle I want and hopefully gain something in fuel economy as well. I'm hoping you all can help me out with some advice on what to look for but also what are some of the lesser known things when it comes to the ecodiesel? I've done some research on regular maintenance item costs and tracked fuel prices for awhile. I'm mostly concerned about the EGR system. What's the best way to delete or turn it off? I'm in Maryland so no inspection or emission testing to worry about. Right now my decision comes down to a newer Ram with either the ecodiesel or just try to find another Pentastar, which hasn't proved to be easy probably since this time I want a Laramie. I'm going to be spending a lot of time in it so I want all the creature comforts. I appreciate any input.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I have an 18 ED and love it. With a 4" lift and 35" tires I am getting around 23 mpgs all around and around 15mpgs when towing an 8k lb dump trailer. I got close to 27 when stock. That said, these engines have their issues. If you drive long distances or at least long enough to get the engine good and hot, they do fine. If you use it for putzing around town and short trips, it won't have the heat and time necessary to complete the regeneration cycles to burn away soot which can ultimately lead to a plugged EGR and engine failure. I am getting my EGR recall done this week and then I'll look at tuning it. I am not going to delete (yet) but that is definitely something to do in the future. All in all, I absolutely enjoy driving and owning this truck.

Lots of tunes out there but like tires and oil, everyone has an opinion on which one is best. GDE has one that will keep you fully legal with all emissions intact and still operating. There are a lot of good reviews on it and they claim a substantial reduction in soot buildup, but the EGR is still operating and seems to be a serious issue with this truck. There are others SFT, EOC, Reckless, HD (to name a few) that provide a handheld device that will allow you shift back and forth between stock tune and performance tune (GDE may as provide the handheld as well). You'd need to keep everything intact for these setups if you intend to return to stock if you need to take the truck in for warranty work, however you can turn off the EGR and the DEF system while running the tune. Most (if not all) of these tuners will also provide a stage 2 tune that lets you delete the EGR/DEF/Exhaust and provides a higher HP/TQ increase.

Now the disclaimer.....If I were in your shoes and looking to get a new (to me) truck, I might consider a model year 2020 (or newer). It has the latest generation ED motor which has a higher HP/TQ rating and better cooling than the MY18. It also supposedly addresses a few of the issues that plagued the earlier version motor. It has less options for a tune and/or delete, and will certainly be more expensive so therein lies the trade off.

Another good source of info about the ED with folks more focused on it (and smarter than me) can be found here: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/index.php?pageid=active_topics

Good luck with your decision!

OP
OP
Mohican69

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
Thanks for all the info. I'll definitely keep in mind the info about the 2020 model. I have time so I can look around to find the right truck and deal that's best for me.

Spud66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I love my 2015 and it gets great mileage all seemingly wiped out by filter/oil cost , def , inflated opec diesel >4.00/g in some areas here.

It tows like a beast with 3.92 rear which I recommend and highway going to florida running 85 I get about 25 plus. When wife drives it she goes 90 and it drops to 21. I thought the rear would be an issue on highway. If you can get the higher anti spin numerical rear.. it is worth it.

You won't save money and when warranty runs out this thing can clean out the bank account. I am at 49k. Mostly towing and highway which may be why no issues other than 3 trips to the dealer for egr coolers and other recalls.

If you are in a cold area driving long distance in the teens you will notice the heat getting cool. I think these are a bit too efficient. Gas warms up quicker than a diesel also. So it only has happened a few trips it is still annoying. Carry a cardboard radiator blocker if this is the case.

It's your money , you work hard, do what you want. Good Luck

sirdumpsalot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Since you mentioned comfort/interior, 2018 and newer have Android Auto / Apple Carplay.

Like any truck, I would try to find info on if the previous owner did any towing, because that reduced the maintenance interval for a lot of stuff that people normally don't touch (diff fluid/transfer case/etc).

I bought my 2017 new and I absolutely love everything about the interior, easily my favorite and most comfortable vehicle I've owned/driven. Oil changes are expensive lol, even if you do them yourself

Rancher4j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0L
I have a 2018 eco. Gas mileage was important to me. I get 26 on the freeway and 29 in the city, average 22. I average 14.5 towing 5000 lbs including going over Rockies in CO. The EGR got a factory recall upgrade and I got my fuel lift replaced under warranty (keep fuel above 1/4 tank). I have a lift in front and 20” tires.

After talking to Vern Diesel, I decided to do a tune to turn off the EGR recirculating. I went with SFT for more control over restoring to stock if needed. My tuned included transmission as well. It immediately got rid of lag, increased power and shifted way better. Going down steep mountains it uses motor/gears to keep speed down so I use less brakes.

I’m very happy with my choice and would recommend it.

mmouncey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins turbo
Dont do it its a *************.. I have same truck in shop more than on the road. On second replacement engine now and just made it under the 100K warranty. Heres a picture of the second engine they are replacing. Truck is gutless dangerous piece of crapNewRamEngine.jpg

MoparProud

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel is a great option, even more so the latest gen 3. A few had problems, that’s the same with anything.

Two replacements like dude above tells me the issue isn’t the truck or engine, but the loose canon behind the wheel. He is the true gutless dangerous one.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You may be buying someone elses problems. Just a thought.
Goes for buying any used vehicle and for that matter new vehicle nowadays.
The main cause behind this is whether the mechanic working on it has a clue or is a part changer.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
Totally agree with crash68. I just know used car managers will not keep an eco on the lot after 80k on the clock. Make sure you get an extended warranty on it. I had 2 2016's. First one was a buyback for an engine and second one was not a buyback but had same issues. I took very good care of mine and serviced them no longer than 7500 mi. at the dealership. I will stick to my 3.6 engines and a cruise control.

drmoreau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I currently own a 2014 1500 with the Pentastar V6 engine. I've not had a single issue with it in over 125K miles. Recently my daily commute has gone from 70 miles to now 140. I've started to look at other vehicle options mainly for fuel economy but also because my truck is getting long in the tooth especially considering my needs. My dilemma is that I love my truck and trucks in general and I'm also dealing with a couple of lingering injuries as a result of my military career but who isn't these days. Anyway the comfort of sitting in a truck far outweighs the need for fuel economy. So all this got me started thinking about the Eco Diesel. I can drive the vehicle I want and hopefully gain something in fuel economy as well. I'm hoping you all can help me out with some advice on what to look for but also what are some of the lesser known things when it comes to the ecodiesel? I've done some research on regular maintenance item costs and tracked fuel prices for awhile. I'm mostly concerned about the EGR system. What's the best way to delete or turn it off? I'm in Maryland so no inspection or emission testing to worry about. Right now my decision comes down to a newer Ram with either the ecodiesel or just try to find another Pentastar, which hasn't proved to be easy probably since this time I want a Laramie. I'm going to be spending a lot of time in it so I want all the creature comforts. I appreciate any input.
So you were in the military. Defending your country (mine too). Thanks for that work, what every your job was. What made you turn? Why do you want to pollute the air of your own country? The emission control system is engineered to protect the health of everyone's lungs. Yours, mine, and those kids at school. If you consider yourself a patriot then think about our air, water, and soil that grows our food - these are the basics. In my humble opinion, anyone who trashes our natural resources should take a long look at themselves in the mirror.

OP
OP
Mohican69

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
Totally agree with crash68. I just know used car managers will not keep an eco on the lot after 80k on the clock. Make sure you get an extended warranty on it. I had 2 2016's. First one was a buyback for an engine and second one was not a buyback but had same issues. I took very good care of mine and serviced them no longer than 7500 mi. at the dealership. I will stick to my 3.6 engines and a cruise control.
I do love my Pentastar. Just rolled over 130K and not a single issue. I do all the regular maintenance myself. I don't tow or haul anything. I prefer driving a truck for my daily driving. After my Chevy AFM motor blew up I was done with that technology garbage so I chose this truck. I think the V6 has plenty of power for my needs.

Blackwater

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you were in the military. Defending your country (mine too). Thanks for that work, what every your job was. What made you turn? Why do you want to pollute the air of your own country? The emission control system is engineered to protect the health of everyone's lungs. Yours, mine, and those kids at school. If you consider yourself a patriot then think about our air, water, and soil that grows our food - these are the basics. In my humble opinion, anyone who trashes our natural resources should take a long look at themselves in the mirror.
Little harsh

Blackwater

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Little harsh guy. Better worrie about china big polluter. And army 22 years contractor for 15 years. EOD

OP
OP
Mohican69

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
Little harsh

Imagine me not caring about your opinion. Diesel is way better for the environment than the electric cars and pickups. So save those poor little children...drive a diesel!

drmoreau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have worked in air pollution measurement and control since the early 1980s. Diesel emission control systems have done tremendous good. Raw diesel exhaust is very toxic and carcinogenic. I am not saying anything derogatory about the poster, but why would someone love their country and then want to pollute it?