Considering grill and bumper options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a black 2013 sport and my long term goal is to fully black it out. Badging and wheels is pretty straight forward but I have the sport grill with the chrome horizontal slats.
I was thinking how to black it out and I am not a fan of painting the slats, i just dont think itll turn out good. I was thinking possibly removing them or switching to the honeycomb inserts. I also looked at the aftermarket options and I kind of liked the rebel style grill but the quality and reviews for the aftermarket ones seemed bad.

What have other guys done?

Any good aftermarket grill recommendations?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a black 2013 sport and my long term goal is to fully black it out. Badging and wheels is pretty straight forward but I have the sport grill with the chrome horizontal slats.
I was thinking how to black it out and I am not a fan of painting the slats, i just dont think itll turn out good. I was thinking possibly removing them or switching to the honeycomb inserts. I also looked at the aftermarket options and I kind of liked the rebel style grill but the quality and reviews for the aftermarket ones seemed bad.

What have other guys done?

Any good aftermarket grill recommendations?
The Sport grill is fairly restrictive to airflow,a few guys have said they noticed a bit of a temperature drop by swapping to the honey comb grill.I swapped my Sport grill to the Honey comb grill,and personally like the look better,the inserts are an easy swap.

Attachments

• Swift Current Drags 015.JPG
    Swift Current Drags 015.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN0530.JPG
    DSCN0530.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN5258 (2).JPG
    DSCN5258 (2).JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
A_mod_too_far

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh good point, I didnt consider the air flow. Ya I like it, it's a good clean look.
Did you find the inserts for sale? It's hard to get part numbers because mopar wants to sell you a whole new grill.
I have the part numbers for my sport grill but not sure what the honey combs would be

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Oh good point, I didnt consider the air flow. Ya I like it, it's a good clean look.
Did you find the inserts for sale? It's hard to get part numbers because mopar wants to sell you a whole new grill.
I have the part numbers for my sport grill but not sure what the honey combs would be
I picked up a couple sets of them used locally,several years ago.You could try seeing if anybody with a lower trim truck,might be interested in swapping your Sport inserts for their honeycomb inserts.

OP
OP
A_mod_too_far

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am beginning to agree, the honeycomb is just the iconic ram look, starting to dislike the sport grill the more I look at it. I wanted to be a good boy and pay the truck off before I invested in any more non repair mods but now I'm all hyped...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I am beginning to agree, the honeycomb is just the iconic ram look, starting to dislike the sport grill the more I look at it. I wanted to be a good boy and pay the truck off before I invested in any more non repair mods but now I'm all hyped...
I love the honeycomb look and even more when it is all black ....

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
To get my honeycomb grille, i bought a new unpainted grille from a jobber. Then i removed both grilles inserts & compared the two side by side.
In the end, i kept the Chrome Surround & had the honeycomb inserts painted black.
The Chrome Surround is the only chrome on the exterior of my Ram

1667412520857.png

1667412733602.png

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did my own with powder coated aluminum woven wire mesh.
I removed the inserts, cut the louvers out and used the frame to sandwich the mesh.
I then cleaned up the interior by trimming off the excess mesh on the inside.
Rock solid too.
IMG_1514.JPG
IMG_1513.JPG
IMG_1519.JPG