Consumer Information Cargo Weight Rating versus RAM's Listed Cargo Capacity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alnbobby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel Engine
I recently purchased a 2022 RAM 3500 in which the tire and loading door sticker states that the truck's "combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 3,571 lbs." Included in the truck is a 1-page sheet titled "Consumer Information Truck-Camper Loading" and it states that the cargo weight rating for the truck is 2,752 lbs. Does anyone know the difference between the two stated cargo capacities? Which one should I really be using for basing decisions (e.g., for a slide-in camper)? Thx.

Last edited:

Gondul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Cargo Weight Rating (CWR) – means the value specified by the vehicle manufacturer as the cargo-carrying capacity of a vehicle in kilograms (pounds), exclusive of (minus) the weight of occupants, computed as 68 kilograms (150 pounds) times the number of designated seating positions.

“To estimate the total cargo load that will be placed on a truck, add the weight of all passengers in the camper, the weight of supplies, tools, and all other cargo, the weight of installed additional or optional camper equipment, and the manufacturer's camper weight figure. Select a truck that has a cargo weight rating that is equal to or greater than the total cargo load of the camper and whose manufacturer recommends a cargo center of gravity zone that will contain the camper's center of gravity when it is installed.”

The total cargo load should not exceed the truck's cargo weight rating and the camper's center of gravity should fall within the truck's recommended center of gravity zone when installed.”

Last edited:

Gondul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When checking camper weights, I would as to be sure are they advertising a a 'dry' weight with nothing but the camper (most likely) or the weight with with batteries/propane/water already on board.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@alnbobby take the truck to a CAT scale a weigh it, subtract that from the truck's GVWR. That will give you the actual weight capacity.
Make note of the axle weights, those are the numbers you need to make sure you don't exceed once your loaded.