Continued poor off the start performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bubbajames

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Diesel
Does it make sense that a VGR (turbo?) is going out when you watch it go up hitting 30psi when you punch it? Does it make sense the EGR needs replacement? All of these are ideas that have been passed by me due to the following issue:
When I punch the gas pedal, the truck bogs down then kicks in. Hard to explain but if I was to tow my trailer, I'm concerned that when I hit the gas that it might stall out or something. My 6.7L diesel 2018 Ram 3500 only has 35950 miles so it's not used much. I replaced my air filter about 9 months ago but valvoline oil lube pulled it and showed me it was pretty black. I just replaced the oil with full synthetic. I also checked the fuel filter (for some reason, my truck only has the one but thought there was another under the bed). I opened it up and let fuel out (don't believe there was any water). From what I hear, it kinda points to the turbo. Is there a diagnostic on an OBD that covers if it is going bad? Frustrated and my local Ram dealer just wants to upsell everything. I need legitimate expertise.

Update: I removed the airfilter and took a drive to see if there was any difference. I noticed no difference. What I do notice however is that if I'm parked and gun the engine, it's fine. It's when I have it in drive and just taking off that it does this. With such low mileage, could it be that just a transmission fluid change might be the answer? If not the answer, then it would seem there is a tranny issue? The engine appears to be fine, it's the transfer to power to the wheels via the transmission. Initial take off. Thoughts?

Update #2: I checked the tranny fluid and it's pink and appears to be at normal levels.

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Does it make sense that a VGR (turbo?) is going out when you watch it go up hitting 30psi when you punch it? Does it make sense the EGR needs replacement? All of these are ideas that have been passed by me due to the following issue:
When I punch the gas pedal, the truck bogs down then kicks in. Hard to explain but if I was to tow my trailer, I'm concerned that when I hit the gas that it might stall out or something. My 6.7L diesel 2018 Ram 3500 only has 35950 miles so it's not used much. I replaced my air filter about 9 months ago but valvoline oil lube pulled it and showed me it was pretty black. I just replaced the oil with full synthetic. I also checked the fuel filter (for some reason, my truck only has the one but thought there was another under the bed). I opened it up and let fuel out (don't believe there was any water). From what I hear, it kinda points to the turbo. Is there a diagnostic on an OBD that covers if it is going bad? Frustrated and my local Ram dealer just wants to upsell everything. I need legitimate expertise.

Update: I removed the airfilter and took a drive to see if there was any difference. I noticed no difference. What I do notice however is that if I'm parked and gun the engine, it's fine. It's when I have it in drive and just taking off that it does this. With such low mileage, could it be that just a transmission fluid change might be the answer? If not the answer, then it would seem there is a tranny issue? The engine appears to be fine, it's the transfer to power to the wheels via the transmission. Initial take off. Thoughts?

Update #2: I checked the tranny fluid and it's pink and appears to be at normal levels.
Did you check the fuel filter under the hood? And do you have any problems if you go moderately on the throttle? If not it then could be torque management preventing it from going ball to the wall when you mash the go fast pedal to the floor...