Control arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9 v6
I had my driver side upper ball joint pop out of my control arm. It has bent the hole for the ball joint and I need another control arm. I can’t find anywhere that sells them. Any ideas on where to find one or how to fix it thank you

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
Find a used one. The small balljoint (D150/D250 gas) can be replaced with the bigger one.

They are also on eBay. Haven't checked rockauto in a while...

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
no real aftermarket support. the only ones that keep coming up when you search are some no name replacement control arms. not sure about the quality but never even heard of the various companies that sell them.

anyway, agree, find a used one. I actually had to put tack welds on my upper control arms when I put in new ball joints to hold them in. the threading on the ball joint and control arms is really not well planned. I have the socket tool but I have yet to be able to remove any old ball joints from any of the upper arms I've worked on, even with a high torque impact wrench. I just ended up pressing them out, thus the tack welds when I pressed in the new ball joints.

any 1972 thru 1993 upper arms will fit.

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
I wouldn't care about the quality of a new replacement arm. At least it's new and not rusted thin. The stock ones are marginal anyway - it's not a super stout suspension or brakes.

Go with what you can find, and don't work the front end of the truck too hard.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I wouldn't care about the quality of a new replacement arm. At least it's new and not rusted thin. The stock ones are marginal anyway - it's not a super stout suspension or brakes.

Go with what you can find, and don't work the front end of the truck too hard.

I'd have to respectfully disagree. most control arms from that era (60-70s) were stamped steel so yes, marginal. but buying a no name part for a integral part of vehicle control makes me nervous. in the end, maybe all current "oem replacements" are all made in the same overseas factory but given a used true OEM control arm with surface rust vs a new unlabeled part, I'll go with OEM despite age and whatever metal fatigue may be involved. of course, I live in California so rust isn't a real issue. if all I could find were rusted out used parts, then I'd probably start agreeing with you on using the aftermarket part.

if only there were a stronger following for these first gens, then maybe UMI or other suspension company would start making some tubular adjustable replacement arms.

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
Far From Stock is making an aftermarket arm, but they are spendy.

Rust is the norm here.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963