Conventional or Synthetic? First oil change on new-to-me '14 w/ 70k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
t i mean they dont go tellin those oil field guys today your drilling for synthetic. Im still a little confused on that one lol

I would guess he is referring to the raw product that is eventually turned in to synthetic comes from the same raw oil (or natural gas) coming out of the ground that traditional motor oil is made from. Synthetic isn't made from seaweed or something, it's still made from crude oil and related natural resources.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
The only thing I know is Mercedes says to run synthetic oil. If you start burning oil, switch to conventional oil for 5k and then go back to synthetic. Something in the conventional or dino oil helps to reseat the rings. That is what Mercedes told me on an engine that was using a little oil. We did it and it worked.

I have currently 2 G.C (2020 and 2021), a 2021 Jeep Renegade, a 2019 Bighorn v6. I usually take them to the dealership for Jeep's free oil changes. If not, Mobil 1 or Valvoline full synthetic.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Group's 1 through 4 are made from crude oil, group 5 is not. In the not so distant future all oil will be group 5, most likely high quality group 5 esters added to vegetable based oil. Would very likely out perform simple groups 1-3 oils, most of what we call synthetic today.

Group 3 synthetic oils have never been cheaper, if you look at kirkland synthetic or walamrt or even havoline, it likely will be similar in cost to conventional but offer way better performance, just consider their starting tbn is 2-3 points more it is worth every extra penny you might pay for. TBN is your interval, even top synthetics pay for themselves with interval. not to mention they have less contamination. just my 2 cents worth right there.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run synthetic, would never go back to conventional dino. I also run full synthetic in my Motorcycle. Ne way, I went looking for RP Oil Filter for my 5.7L, none around here, so got a FRAM XG Ultra and when I took truck to Dealer on the 10th Feb, handed them filter. What a wimp lil filter for such a hard working motor, geez, no bigger than my Lawn Mower's. Gonna have to find/order the Larger RP filter. Is the correct number for the Larger RP 20-820? And will it fit in the space OK (my big question)? I have not crawled under the truck to look. Afraid get down there, not get up, LOL.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I watched a video a few months ago (maybe even from one of the Redline guys? He was the real deal anyway, as in he worked for an oil company making oils); and he mentioned how there was this problem when synthetic started to gain traction that old engines running their entire life on conventional oil would sometimes start leaking when switching to synthetic. Something about the synthetic oil and seals breaking up.

Course I could be remembering it wrong but he did say that is a complete non issue for any modern engines and oils these days (like in the last 15+ years).

ic3man5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The only thing I know is Mercedes says to run synthetic oil. If you start burning oil, switch to conventional oil for 5k and then go back to synthetic. Something in the conventional or dino oil helps to reseat the rings. That is what Mercedes told me on an engine that was using a little oil. We did it and it worked.

I have currently 2 G.C (2020 and 2021), a 2021 Jeep Renegade, a 2019 Bighorn v6. I usually take them to the dealership for Jeep's free oil changes. If not, Mobil 1 or Valvoline full synthetic.
This makes sense, conventional doesn't lubricate as well. You probably drive that vehicle easy and the cylinder walls glazed over. Driving it hard would have potentially done the same thing.

Highway miles are considered best for an engine because there is more power applied to everything.