Convince me why i shouldnt buy it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr_Ames

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ram.png
Ive been in the market for a while and have watched the price drop on this 2016 Ram Bighorn. I am strongly considering pulling the trigger but my question to you all is this, what should I be looking for as problems down the rode? it has 70K miles and is selling for $26,289

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Normally I'd say check it over good for rust, but being its a CA truck I doubt that will be a problem. I would check it anyway tho.

Other than the infamous lifter problems, these trucks are pretty good longterm, but give it a good listen at hot idle for any ticking it might have.

$26k seems a bit steep to me for a 6 year old truck with 70k on it but it may be in the norm for your area. I would still try to talk them down a bit tho.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since the price has been dropping, hit them up for 24.5k, out the door if it's personally owned. 25k OTD if it's a dealer. A dealer is going to want DOC fees, reconditioning, ect, ect, ect.

Resist everything you can. At one time you could negotiate DOC fees, but since most dealers are now part of a larger network, they won't budge.

Independent dealers are more likely to reduce or eliminate DOC fees. There is no law saying they have to collect DOC fees. They are just another profit center for the dealer.

Very nice looking truck.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
View attachment 500654
Ive been in the market for a while and have watched the price drop on this 2016 Ram Bighorn. I am strongly considering pulling the trigger but my question to you all is this, what should I be looking for as problems down the rode? it has 70K miles and is selling for $26,289

Im actually going to take a deferent stance on this…… I would pass and move onto something else. The blue color is going to attract way too much attention and looks, and we all know here on the forum that no one can just leave the Modding bug alone.

My suggestion….. keep looking.

By the way……. Can I get the address of where this is at??? :waytogo:

Seriously, looks like a great truck. I’m guessing this is at a dealers lot, so records not likely available. If they are, then big Plus.

Hemi tick you can search here about as with exhaust manifold issues. Other than those it’s a solid truck. Normal wear and tear items… fluids changed, brakes, shocks etc.

Last edited:

mb33458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
Nice looking truck. Is it a hemi or a V6? Either way, if the price is right for your market and you like it pull the trigger.

OP
OP
Mr_Ames

Mr_Ames

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its a SoCal truck and according to CarFax it a;ways has been. Its at a dealer so of course im gonna try and get it a bit cheaper. I was worried about issues it might have since its been on the lot for 60 days. Its a 3 hour drive away so i havent been able to drive it yet abd check for the "tick"

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
sorry I can't finds a reason not to buy it. Mileage is good, compared to Canada that truck would be between 35 and 40k so the price looks good. Love the color too. for the life of me I can't find a reason not to buy it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
View attachment 500654
Don't do what this guy did,lol.At least drive over and have a look at it,before you even give them a deposit on it.For a $26,000 purchase,you can make the time to go look at it.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Make sure it’s clean title

Check out idle hours - if they’re high, pass. Like others have said listen for lifter / exhaust manifold tick issues.

Check to see if it has a back up camera, (just cause it has a screen doesn’t mean it has a camera, put it in reverse)

Make sure the differential ratio is what you want.

Get the vin and check out the spec sheet there’s a website where you can see what the truck has.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
After a test drive listen to the engine at idle, listen for warm idle tick, sounds like a sewing machine, it is the plague of many hemi's and coincidentally usually happens to eat a cam between 70-130k miles if you believe the other forum stats, and I do. This forum has done some work on the prevention side, if you buy it follow some of the work here. Most rams do not have hemi tick and a bad cam, but enough do that you should pay attention. Look for past codes and what warranty are you gonna get? If they don't give you 6 mos to a year warranty, I'd offer 4 grand less if I really wanted it.

So the real decision comes down to do I want an rfe or a 8 speed, there are arguments for both, the rfe's are earlier years. If it is going to be used as a commuter, perhaps the 8 speed is a no brainer, but it is a detailed process just to check the fluid level not alone actually change the fluid.

Familyman0803

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
If your looking to Tow anything solid I would check the tow cap, I just but a 16 2500 tradesman because of its higher tow capacity! When I was looking though, the bighorn always had around a 9,000 lb towing capacity

Familyman0803

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I used camping worlds vin finder...just Google tow capacity by vin number, click on camping worlds link and then you can enter any vin number and it will show you the tow capacity. I did find that brand new vehicles were not put into the system yet but for a 16 you should have no problem.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Nope stay away from it ... I actually know who that truck belonged to .... that truck is at the Hemet dealership just down the street from me ... that truck has had 2 owners, the guy who had it last had nothing but issues with it, the trany and cam went out on it right after he bought it ....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963