Cool tailgate and bed accessories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haleme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I stumbled across this page while on Pinterest. The company has some really cool ideas and products for using the empty space in the tailgate for storage bins. Mostly available for German trucks, but the Jeep Gladiator is there.

The hidden tail light racks are really slick too.

BlackSheep

Anyone know if there is a company doing something similar for Rams?

stdyrln

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Invest in tools- figure it out on your own- the only limitations are the rods and the latch- and keeping enough strength in it. All my straps, shackles, and recovery stuff are in mine. I only messed with the removable cover but you could cut more as you wish. Make it yours, i just used some cheap hinges and some turn latches, but they only get opened every once in a poor decision when i need them.

smuggler.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ooh, nifty! Thanks for this post, it’s something I’m going to look into. Though, if I ever manage to get a travel trailer, I’ll have to make sure to weigh everything stashed in it and add that to the hitch weight of the trailer.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Invest in tools- figure it out on your own- the only limitations are the rods and the latch- and keeping enough strength in it. All my straps, shackles, and recovery stuff are in mine. I only messed with the removable cover but you could cut more as you wish. Make it yours, i just used some cheap hinges and some turn latches, but they only get opened every once in a poor decision when i need them.

View attachment 520906

Looks like you have something built into you bed as it is. Would be interested in seeing a wider shot etc, and what’s its purpose?

OP
OP
haleme

haleme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

View attachment 520906

Looks like you have something built into you bed as it is. Would be interested in seeing a wider shot etc, and what’s its purpose?
Yes, yes. Inquiring minds want to know.

I see the tailgate is cut. Need more details.

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 CC Sport Copperhead Pearl & 2011 1500 CC Sport Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/ 8 speed ~ 5.7 Hemi w/ 6 speed
I found this going down some Youtube rabbit hole a while back. LOL

OP
OP
haleme

haleme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like it! Really clean looking once he was complete.

stdyrln

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Started with trying to strengthen the paper folded metal like bed caps that are under the plastic trim and just got more reinforced and organized as the truck got built out and i realized the whole bed structure is one step above cardboard. This is version two- if it goes to 3.0 i would just lose some of the angular stuff. Holds a 315 with room to go up at least 37", 5 g water, 10 g gas, a useful sized extinguisher, bottle jack, shovel, air hose,and my 2 nd battery control charger and fuse box. It can still take a typical palette- but even if i have an old cast iron tranny or a motor decides that decides to wander lose it won't hurt the cage or wipe out the bed. Only downside is it makes hauling loose material like soil or rock a bit of a pain- but it's only a 5'7" bed before it lost about 14" so i just have that stuff delivered since 3/4 a yard at a time is a dumb use of time. I also just cobbled up the kids old pitch back frame into a cap frame i'm going to see how the slumber jack road house tarp works with. Like i said- for the cost of some of the better accessories out their you can get tools that will allow you to develop some skills that will only become more valuable as the world gets so smart people can't fix toilets.

Attachments

• smuggler.jpg
    smuggler.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 32
  • bed cage.jpg
    bed cage.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 27

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Started with trying to strengthen the paper folded metal like bed caps that are under the plastic trim and just got more reinforced and organized as the truck got built out and i realized the whole bed structure is one step above cardboard. This is version two- if it goes to 3.0 i would just lose some of the angular stuff. Holds a 315 with room to go up at least 37", 5 g water, 10 g gas, a useful sized extinguisher, bottle jack, shovel, air hose,and my 2 nd battery control charger and fuse box. It can still take a typical palette- but even if i have an old cast iron tranny or a motor decides that decides to wander lose it won't hurt the cage or wipe out the bed. Only downside is it makes hauling loose material like soil or rock a bit of a pain- but it's only a 5'7" bed before it lost about 14" so i just have that stuff delivered since 3/4 a yard at a time is a dumb use of time. I also just cobbled up the kids old pitch back frame into a cap frame i'm going to see how the slumber jack road house tarp works with. Like i said- for the cost of some of the better accessories out their you can get tools that will allow you to develop some skills that will only become more valuable as the world gets so smart people can't fix toilets.

Nice job :waytogo:

The ideas and skill set on the forum is amazing, and never disappoints.

Do you have it welded to the bed?

Any thoughts of enclosing the sides with panels?

stdyrln

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
no it slides in and is bolted at 6 points- the issue with enclosing the sides just means it will collect crap better. i can still hose it out easily as i have about a 1/4 gap around the bottom rails. i have to clean out pine needles and leaves from the front section every once and awhile but that about it. Steel was mostly just rems for the local steel supply so its a mix of sizes but mostly heavy wall. Makes it easy when you can strap to anywhere.