coolant filter opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
What are y'alls opinions about using a coolant filter on these hemi trucks? Yay or nay?

OP
OP
HLram

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
Well, it has now been almost a month with no opinions. Surely someone has an opinion on whether these are a good or bad idea on these Rams. I know they work well on diesels especially the old 7.3s but will it be detrimental to anything on my hemi? Probably not. If one is installed in one of the heater hoses does the coolant flow thru that all of the time or only when the heater is turned up? I don't see a valve on my heater hoses so I am assuming there is not one hidden under the dash right? Coolant flows all the time thru there surely. And they make the filters withOUT the SCA that Powerstrokes used to need so that wouldn't be an issue.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You just taught me something new as I did not know they existed, thank you

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would never filter coolant, that is a filter that could clog and devastate an engine pretty quickly. If you use distilled water and good coolant, there is no need anyway. Water needs to flow fast to do it's job, it is never a good idea to slow it down in the name of filtration that isn't needed anyway.

OP
OP
HLram

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
Ok thanks. Good point. I guess the reason the Powerstroke guys use them is to add the additive to theirs for the pitting. I actually flushed it really good when I changed the TS the other day. Thanks again.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There is an additive called RMI 25 and it is the sickest coolant product on the market. It is amazing what this product does, it cleans all the junk in any coolant and deposits it in the over flow. Works like a charm, and is pretty amazing. It is one of the greatest products I ever used as far as results. I would use that before ever running a filter. Maybe with a larger water pump there is less risk, but you are taking away some of the benefit of having the upgraded water pump imo. Of course my assumption is the filter restricts flow, it may be something like mess that doesn't restrict much flow but also doesn't really filter much. I cant even imagine where this would be beneficial, but that is just one man's opinion.

9 perfect reviews on RMI 25

I guess the secret is out on this stuff.

Last edited:

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What would it be filtering out of the coolant? Chunks of rust or something? I imagine it would be a pretty coarse filter.

Oops….google answered my question:
http://www.ganofilters.com/

Doesn't seem like it would hurt anything to run one if you think you have scale or gasket bits in there. I'd get the clear one though so you can see if it catches anything without removing it.

Last edited:

Erikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Very old thread but I imagine since it was created a bunch of people have figured out these Hemi’s are full of casting sand….I recently figured this out after flushing my heater core out for the 6th time. Has anyone installed a spin on coolant filter in-line with the heater hose?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On cars with open recovery tanks (not full pressurized systems) the recovery tank serves as a bit of a filter, anything heavier than the coolant itself gets pushed into the tank sooner or later and the pick up tube isn't at the extreme bottom so it doesn't readily get pulled back when the engine cools off.

With older cars I've had good luck plumbing a Magnefine transmission filter into one of the heater hoses (or an air evacuation, or thermostat bypass hose or whatever the particular car had) - not all of the inline transmission filters are possible to open up but these in particular can be unscrewed, clean the filter media in a sink, then reassemble them and reinstall.

index.jpg

The manufacturer clearly does not intend them to be washed out, the threaded part is also glued on and it's a real bear to disassemble but it IS threaded together and it does come apart if you work at it. I guess you could use it in your coolant system without ever disassembling it but all the cars I've used on in were crazy neglected or the previous owner used some of that mechanic-in-a-bottle junk and it took a few rounds of clean-reinstall to get it all.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I would never filter coolant, that is a filter that could clog and devastate an engine pretty quickly. If you use distilled water and good coolant, there is no need anyway. Water needs to flow fast to do it's job, it is never a good idea to slow it down in the name of filtration that isn't needed anyway.
Engine coolant filters do not mount in-line with the radiator water flow. They connect to a heater hose and are designed to bypass and continually filter small amounts of the engine’s coolant. They are very effective, do not interfere with coolant flow, and cannot "clog and devastate an engine".

Many engine blocks have casting process sand in the cooling channels. Coolant can also contain other contaminants or debris. I had a coolant filter on my Ford 6.0 which was famous for releasing casting sand. Every time I changed a filter it would contain trapped sand and/or other contaminants.

I haven't read that sand or any debris in the 6.7 has ever been a problem. Would think the new 2019+ compacted graphite iron blocks would even be less of a problem.