coolant fluid smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
Same topic has been brought up many times in the HD section with varying reasons.....but I do not recall there ever being an actual issue or leak, just something many have experienced, myself included.

odinjunior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone get the smell through the heater vents?

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Anyone get the smell through the heater vents?

That I have NOT gotten. I've never been able to smell it inside the cab, or anywhere other than around the front of the truck.

If you're getting the smell through the heat vents, you might want to look into your heater core.

odinjunior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That I have NOT gotten. I've never been able to smell it inside the cab, or anywhere other than around the front of the truck.

If you're getting the smell through the heat vents, you might want to look into your heater core.

When I take it in for the latest round of recalls I'll see what they say

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you smell it, how could it not be leaking. only takes a couple drops on a hot surface. fan blows the odor. it may never hit the ground and could take months or years for the recovery tank to lose any appreciable amount. mine lost a few drops here and there. not enough to see any difference in the recovery tank but i could smell it. never hit the ground and was a bit tricky to find the leak but was thermo housing oring. replaced it and never a smell since

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
When I take it in for the latest round of recalls I'll see what they say

Please be sure to keep us updated, odinjunior. We are just a PM away if you are in need of any additional support while in service.

Mark
RamCares

odinjunior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please be sure to keep us updated, odinjunior. We are just a PM away if you are in need of any additional support while in service.

Mark
RamCares

Thanks Mark I will do that. Unless there has been a turnover I have a good relationship with the service manager. He's a Veteran also. Larry Miller in Surprise 85387

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you smell it, how could it not be leaking. only takes a couple drops on a hot surface. fan blows the odor. it may never hit the ground and could take months or years for the recovery tank to lose any appreciable amount. mine lost a few drops here and there. not enough to see any difference in the recovery tank but i could smell it. never hit the ground and was a bit tricky to find the leak but was thermo housing oring. replaced it and never a smell since

I completely agree.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Thanks Mark I will do that. Unless there has been a turnover I have a good relationship with the service manager. He's a Veteran also. Larry Miller in Surprise 85387

Thank you very much for the follow up, odinjunior. I'm glad to know that you are in good hands with Larry Miller! We're more than happy to assist if needed.

Mark
RamCares

Larry73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 Dodge Ram 1500, same issues. No leak, heater core replaced , smell in cab quite often. Mechanics think I'm crazy. Very fricken annoying.
I also had a Dodge car with the same issues. Same thing, heater core replaced, no leaks n smell it by the grill and in cab.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I had 2 '14 Jeeps that did the same thing. What it was that the thermostat housing being composite cracked. One was so bad that about every 2 weeks I had to refill the overflow tank. Matter of fact when I brought them both in to get fixed, is when I got the Ram. A simple drop off turned into a 4 hour deal when us driving out with a new vehicle.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
yeah same here. 2018 ram 2500. dad's 2014 2500 same deal. anyone come a conclusion as to wtf is up with this in our dodges?

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ya theres most likely a leek. thats the conclusion. get a pencil flashlight and crawl around underneath and up top looking every where. use a small mirror for hard to see areas. when the antifreeze dries up it leaves whitish poweder stuff. if nothing is seen then pressurize or use vacuum to check the system

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'm at 45K on mine, still get this smell, and no leak. The coolant level is as full as it was when I bought it with 3 miles on it.

There's no leak. It also doesn't take much of a vapor to get a big smell with this coolant.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm at 45K on mine, still get this smell, and no leak. The coolant level is as full as it was when I bought it with 3 miles on it.

There's no leak. It also doesn't take much of a vapor to get a big smell with this coolant.

Mine doesn't show a leak either...but my opinion is there has to be a small leak somewhere, or it wouldn't smell.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've owned 5 dodge/jeep vehicles 6 including my dad's all over the age of 2014. you know what I mean. Every single one was like this although the 2017 grand cherokee and the two rams 2500's 6.4 are the worst.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have the same issue. All of a sudden I smell coolant, when I walk around the front of the vehicle. Found where the rad side tank attaches up in the top corner, its all dis-colored and found dried coolant only in a small spot. Dont think I have lost any real amount of fluid, as the over flow tank level hasnt moved noticeably. Just leaked enough that everytime it gets hot, I smell it.

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 2015 Power Wagon has done this since new and I have no clue why. One theory I've heard is the coolant smell is permeating through the coolant hoses. A web search shows silicone hoses are prone to allowing coolant odor to leech through. Are our hoses silicone?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45