Coolant leak around ATI pulley?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tried drilling the bolt but couldn't even make a dent in it, even with my corded drill. At this point, I'll call that bolt placement a design flawn and cross my fingers

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Tried drilling the bolt but couldn't even make a dent in it, even with my corded drill. At this point, I'll call that bolt placement a design flawn and cross my fingers
You'll need better bits hss or cobalt. On really hard jobs. Correction I've used a die grinder with a 1/8" cylindrical cutt burr and fought my way in and used a #3 spiral extractor after flaring out the opening a bit. Just keep dipping the bit in cutting fluid and go a bit at a time. Lean too hard and you can snap the burr and its as hard to get out as you can imagine.

Last edited:

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
That's what I was thinking and hoping. Wasn't sure and a bit surprised since I only have 56K on the truck.

Thanks fellas. Any water pump recommendations?
I have had good service with NAPA Gold box. Check partsgeek.com they sell good, better best. Stay away from Airtech.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had good service with NAPA Gold box. Check partsgeek.com they sell good, better best. Stay away from Airtech.
Ended up with a Mopar replacement from rockauto, but thanks for the recommendation

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'll need better bits hss or cobalt. On really hard jobs. Correction I've used a die grinder with a 1/8" cylindrical cutt burr and fought my way in and used a #3 spiral extractor after flaring out the opening a bit. Just keep dipping the bit in cutting fluid and go a bit at a time. Lean too hard and you can snap the burr and its as hard to get out as you can imagine.
Did forget about the cutting oil. It did help. But I wasn't willing to spend hours drilling. Put it all back together and there's no leaks. I'll have to keep an eye on it for awhile. With as difficult as it was to pry the old pump off, I think I'll be ok. I bent my torsion spring winding bar pretty bad prying the old one off lol.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did forget about the cutting oil. It did help. But I wasn't willing to spend hours drilling. Put it all back together and there's no leaks. I'll have to keep an eye on it for awhile. With as difficult as it was to pry the old pump off, I think I'll be ok. I bent my torsion spring winding bar pretty bad prying the old one off lol.
Glad its not leaking. Hopfully it'll hold for the life of the truck. It might.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Solid carbide will drill hardened bolts or materials but breaks easily so I would recommend carbide tipped.
It water pump is working with no leaks I would probably leave alone also unless I had the hardware to do the job.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Ended up with a Mopar replacement from rockauto, but thanks for the recommendation
JW glad you found OEM quality. Just a quick heads up. I have replaced two WP on our 03 5.7. Not difficult. BUT,,,watch out for the bottom of the WP to block gasket. Common for them to catch and fold up while installing. Been there. Fitz

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
JW glad you found OEM quality. Just a quick heads up. I have replaced two WP on our 03 5.7. Not difficult. BUT,,,watch out for the bottom of the WP to block gasket. Common for them to catch and fold up while installing. Been there. Fitz
Good tip... Hope that didn't happen lol. Gasket was already seated in the new one pretty well, so I should be ok.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Swapped my water neck out for a billet one while I was at it. Old one had some strange black crust build up... IMG_20181216_152517.jpg

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
^^^Smart
Also, I suspect that you are replacing the thermostat. Make sure it has a black or red gasket that goes around the thermostat. purpose is to separate the thermostat from the block or pump housing.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn man, with the luck your having, first with your headers and now with this damn water pump, I really hope you never ever stand close to my truck. I think there's a little dark cloud that's following you when you start to work on your truck----glad the pump isn't leaking and I hope it holds a long long time for you. Good luck!!!!!!!
Jay

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^Smart
Also, I suspect that you are replacing the thermostat. Make sure it has a black or red gasket that goes around the thermostat. purpose is to separate the thermostat from the block or pump housing.
Or course ;)

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn man, with the luck your having, first with your headers and now with this damn water pump, I really hope you never ever stand close to my truck. I think there's a little dark cloud that's following you when you start to work on your truck----glad the pump isn't leaking and I hope it holds a long long time for you. Good luck!!!!!!!
Jay
I know, right? Almost 20 years of tinkering on cars and I had never broken a bolt.... Now two... Even when using a torque wrench! I know it wasn't cross threaded either. I think I'll be replacing every bolt I remove with grade 8 or higher from now on.