Coolant problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Once the block is cast, the only place for sand to be is in the water jacket & they don't install the freeze plugs until they purge the sand

There must be another reason for that grit like substance

Erikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is it possible that the purge procedure is faulty and they think it’s more money to retool than it’s worth? Here’s a picture of some of the stuff I flushed once it’s dry.

Attachments

• DB46FD60-724E-4226-88BC-8C3A27899CF3.jpeg
    DB46FD60-724E-4226-88BC-8C3A27899CF3.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 20

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not saying that's what it is, but it reminds me of clay oil dry (cat litter).

Erikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not saying that's what it is, but it reminds me of clay oil dry (cat litter).
It looks that way but it turns fine when you rub it down like the stuff stuck to the middle of the bag in the picture. All of these are flakes too (thin and wide) like a light glaze that broke loose, it reminds me of sand dust that finally got rinsed off a surface. It doesn’t melt (I tried since it seemed like plastic chips at first) and a magnet had no attraction to it. ‍♂️

jake Brekkestran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The block is full of casting sand. I’m having the same problem. 2014 2500 6.4. I just put up a post asking if anyone has put a spin on coolant filter in one of these trucks. I think having one on the heater in line is the only solution. I recently put this little in-line filter on the heater inlet but it needs to be cleaned out about every 4 hours of drive time

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
someone could send a sample to a lab of some type
to me, it almost looks like the corrosion that we used to see when we removed the thermostat cover & turned it over

OP
OP
J

jogris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hello Errik

That is what I thinking of doing ,, put a coolant spin on filter in line heater hose. This has been such a problem since truck was new ,, and dealer is worthless cause the answer from them is change heater core every year ,, I talked to ram and they no have anyone that I could talk too about this problem ,, can you believe there is no one to talk to in the RAM company. I have always had good things to say about Ram but I would not buy another because company has absolutely worst technical somebody to talk to. But I still love my truck.

OP
OP
J

jogris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I was thinking the same about corrosion in older trucks. When I would change the thermostat ,, my radiator and heater hoses are caked with sediment also ,, so I going to change them also when I do the coolant filter. And I think I will have engine flushed again in 2months that will be 6 months since I change the heater core and radiator so I interested i what I find. I flush the engine mechanically so I not just running a garden hose in engine. Hopefully I find an answer to this problem

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
rmi25 takes any sludge in system, and puts into overflow. See the coolant thread for safe universal fluids.

jake Brekkestran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If the block is full of casting sand, it should have glazed your cylinder walls and turned the engine into an oil pumper.

We had such an engine at the factory do this. I've never heard of a production engine block casting that wasn't rinsed out. Our engine was a prototype.
Erik, I have had my ram in several times also. 3 thermostats, 3 heater cores, a radiator flush. Its costly. Been told the same thing. Casting block sand that is letting loose within the engine block. Coming from the plant in Mexico where it was built. They put an inline filter on mine to catch the particle clay matter that plugs the heater cores and radiators. Just a band-aid until the fine particulates get by the filter and drop into the bottom of the heater core again. It slowly catches some of the material and then you have to clean the screen out in it. This should be a class action lawsuit for Ram to fix. Tons of truck engines out there with this problem. It's not coming from the coolant itself.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Erik, I have had my ram in several times also. 3 thermostats, 3 heater cores, a radiator flush. Its costly. Been told the same thing. Casting block sand that is letting loose within the engine block. Coming from the plant in Mexico where it was built. They put an inline filter on mine to catch the particle clay matter that plugs the heater cores and radiators. Just a band-aid until the fine particulates get by the filter and drop into the bottom of the heater core again. It slowly catches some of the material and then you have to clean the screen out in it. This should be a class action lawsuit for Ram to fix. Tons of truck engines out there with this problem. It's not coming from the coolant itself.

Must have a bad batch of unrinsed blocks, since it doesn't apply to all engines produced. Of course, Stellantis, and formerly FCA, will say nor admit anything.