Coolant temp question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last week when outside temperatures were in the teens , i drove my truck and coolant temp gauge struggled to reach 200. Fast forward till today temps were in the 60’s and my coolant cycled normal tstat opened up around 206 and drop down to 199 and cycled again normall. What can i do to fix the low coolant temp when it’s freezing cold outside as that make cab heat colder as well ?

highway

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
use the recirculation button on your heater controsl so you are wariming interior air without bring in outside air and you should notice a lot more air volume and warmer air from your heater. Leave coolant alone, All youc an do is block the air flow across your radiator or thin your coolant by adding more water but both of those could cause issues if you do not knwo what you are doing.

use the re-circ feature n you shoudl be ifine.

180 vs 220 does not make aheckovalot of difference in the tempos that come out of your heater. that you feel.
What makes the biggest difference is the outside air of 10 degreees being brought in, across your heater core and heated up vs interior air, which is already warmed up, goign acorss the heater core and getting even hotter.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If you run the heater on recirculate in cold weather like that, your windows will fog like crazy. Even at -40, my truck puts out plenty of heat to keep it way past too warm inside the truck. Your engine temp is getting to 200, even in the cold, so if you are having heat problems in the teens, I would get the truck looked at.
Either coolant is low, or core is partially plugged off.

My new ram has automatic shutters that close in cold weather, and I really love them for highway driving in real cold weather. On older Dodges we ran grill inserts and/or carpet between the grill and the rad to reduce the air cooling the rad. Anyone that tells you 180 thermostat produces as good heat in the vehicle as a 203 is just wrong, but we have had this argument on here before so I won't get back into that.

Grill inserts

$_20.jpg

Last edited: