Coolant temp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bturner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,
New here and looking for some help. I have an 05 1500 with the 4.7. I’ve had it for 11 years now so as long as I know it’s stock and the few repairs done have been with OEM replacement parts. Anyway, over the winter the water temp gauge on the cluster crapped out. I did the manual test and all gauges responded except that one. Now I’ve got an OBDII digital gauge because I’m not going without knowing the temp, but not willing to replace the cluster since it’s no longer a daily. The question is....what should the normal operating temp for the coolant be? In the winter it would run between 196 and 202ish. The other day here it was 94 outside and on the highway up a long uphill grade it went to 211 and after that stayed at 206.

appreciate y’all’s feedback!

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
211* ain't nothing.....many vehicles normal operating temps are 210.

Regarding your instrument cluster and to save quite a bit of money you can pull the cluster and put dielectric grease in the push connector and test.

If that doesn't work you can order stepper motor replacement kit for cheap and replace the one behind bad gauge.

2004 - 2005 Chevy trucks were terrible for failing instrument clusters.

OP
OP
B

Bturner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info. If I get sometime I’ll check on the replacement parts and do it myself. Today made a run to the dump with light load and no temp concerns (about 206 on the highway). However, now I think I have an oil pressure sensor going bad. Loose OP at idol, but reads normal while driving. Checked for leaks and looked good along with dipstick reading normal.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Relax, all vehicles lose oil pressure at idle then increase as you accelerate.

grpht03ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an '03 with the 4.7 Liter. My average coolant temp is about 210. I've seen the temp go as high as 230 for brief periods in varying driving conditions. The overheat warning light/chime on the dash comes on at 252 and does not turn off until the coolant drops back down below 246.

I have an OBD gauge hooked up to monitor temps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bturner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks fir the feedback guys! I did have to have the OPS replaced so went ahead and had the original radiator hoses and thermostat replaced. It was about 90 out on the way home and ran 206 on the same stretch of road I mentioned earlier.

grpht03ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks fir the feedback guys! I did have to have the OPS replaced so went ahead and had the original radiator hoses and thermostat replaced. It was about 90 out on the way home and ran 206 on the same stretch of road I mentioned earlier.

What's the OPS?

EDIT... oil pressure sensor, nevermind.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio