Coolant temperature sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Picked up a new mopar coolant temp sensor, any tips on install ? Couldn’t find it in service manual but looks like it behind water pump ?

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
1669181049660.jpeg

It’s #2, so above your thermostat housing. Don't crank down when tightening it. I’m sure there’s a special socket that’ll make it a little easier.

NOTE:
Viscous fan, fan shroud and electric cooling fan removed for clarity.

1. Partially drain the cooling system See: Service and Repair (Refer to 07 - Cooling - Standard Procedure).
WARNING:
Hot, pressurized coolant can cause injury by scalding. Cooling system must be partially drained before removing the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor.

1. Disconnect the electrical connector from the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor (2).
  2. Remove the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor (2) from the water pump assembly.
INSTALLATION
  1. Apply thread sealant to the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor (2) threads.
  2. Install the ECT sensor (2) into engine.
  3. Tighten the ECT sensor (2) to 11 Nm (8 ft. lbs.).
  4. Connect the electrical connector to the ECT sensor (2).
  5. Fill the cooling system the proper level. See: Service and Repair (Refer to 07 - Cooling - Standard Procedure)

Attachments

• 1669180976674.jpeg
    1669180976674.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Octane

Reaction score
When I replace mine I bought one that was brass threaded instead of the oem plastic threaded sensor. I wrapped the threads with Teflon tape, unscrewed the old one screwed in the new one. Only an ounce or two of lost coolant at worst.

OP
OP
H

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you, for the life of me I couldn’t find it in the service manual. I went by stealership and picked up an oem sensor, i was always taught to use oem for anything electrical.

OP
OP
H

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I replace mine I bought one that was brass threaded instead of the oem plastic threaded sensor. I wrapped the threads with Teflon tape, unscrewed the old one screwed in the new one. Only an ounce or two of lost coolant at worst.
The one i took out had plastic threads on it and the OEM I bought from the dealer was brass

Octane

Reaction score
The one i took out had plastic threads on it and the OEM I bought from the dealer was brass
May be the factory changed vendors. I prefer brass as only plastic thread was avail at the time I changed mine

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you get the new sensor ready to go (sealer on the threads, etc) a guy can usually do the ole quick "Swap-a-rooo". Get the old sensor threaded out to the point where it'll unscrew by hand. Then, when you're ready to go and have the new one in the other hand, pull it out and quick insert the new one in a flash. Usually ya don't lose much coolant ..maybe a cup(??). Lot easier than draining the system. Be careful you don't choke and drop the new one in the process and you gotta fish it out from some nook or cranny while coolant is bubbling all over :D

Do it "cold" and relieve the pressure from the radiator first. Maybe drizzle some water over the area when yer finished to wash any coolant way. Sometimes draining the radiator brings with it ..its only set of challenges (like a petcock that won't seal very well afterward draining the radiator).

OP
OP
H

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you get the new sensor ready to go (sealer on the threads, etc) a guy can usually do the ole quick "Swap-a-rooo". Get the old sensor threaded out to the point where it'll unscrew by hand. Then, when you're ready to go and have the new one in the other hand, pull it out and quick insert the new one in a flash. Usually ya don't lose much coolant ..maybe a cup(??). Lot easier than draining the system. Be careful you don't choke and drop the new one in the process and you gotta fish it out from some nook or cranny while coolant is bubbling all over :D

Do it "cold" and relieve the pressure from the radiator first. Maybe drizzle some water over the area when yer finished to wash any coolant way. Sometimes draining the radiator brings with it ..its only set of challenges (like a petcock that won't seal very well afterward draining the radiator).
Yeah i did it 1st thing this morning when engine was cold, never lost any coolant