Coolant type

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Why pay big bucks for Distilled Water, that is what you do when you buy 50/50 mix

1 gallon of distilled water is at your grocery store for between 99 cents & $1.30

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
SB,

do you prefer diluting a gallon of MOPAR concentrate, or just going with the pre-diluted MOPAR 50/50 by the gallon option???

RED
Completely personal preference, but I’d say if your just topping it off or buying a gallon just to have, the pre diluted is easy and practical. If you’re flushing the system or for whatever other reason planning on using more than a gallon the concentrate is obviously more cost effective.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
SB,

do you prefer diluting a gallon of MOPAR concentrate, or just going with the pre-diluted MOPAR 50/50 by the gallon option???

RED
well i am going to chime in on this !
Personally i look at concentrate Vs 50/50 premix !
I always buy concentrate antifreeze for Eg $30.00 for a Gal V.s $25.00 for 50/50 mix so i look at it like this why am i paying for water when i can get a full gal of what i need and i supply the distilled water ! so for $30.00 plus $5.00 for distilled water i get 2 Gal of antifreeze V.s $50.00 for 2gal of 50/50 premix i save money by doing it my self !!!

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SB,

RED
It depends on the monetary output.
Generally, it is WAY cheaper to dilute 25 dollar a gallon of concentrate with sub 2 dollar a gallon distilled water (NEVER EVER use any other water than distilled)

Generally, the reduced cost of 50/50 premix doesn't pass the savings along. So, to answer YOUR question, I typically keep 5-8 gallons of distilled water on hand in my shop, and order concentrate for both myself AND customers and do the mixing myself.

REDinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew
Engine
5.7 2wd 3.92
It depends on the monetary output.
Generally, it is WAY cheaper to dilute 25 dollar a gallon of concentrate with sub 2 dollar a gallon distilled water (NEVER EVER use any other water than distilled)

Generally, the reduced cost of 50/50 premix doesn't pass the savings along. So, to answer YOUR question, I typically keep 5-8 gallons of distilled water on hand in my shop, and order concentrate for both myself AND customers and do the mixing myself.

ok, copy. personally I've always been the gallon concentrate + distilled water diluter type. was just curious what camp you were in. I'll continue things as usual. thank you!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I guess it would also depend some what on how much room you have to store things.

I have a garage that has plenty of storage area, i only park my harley 3 wheeler in it.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
normally that color label means dex clone, and yes that one is also a dex clone, here is msds pdf.
Not to hijack this thread but could you tell me where to find the msds on Peek ASIAN long life green and blue coolants? Both are POAT formulas and the labels read identical on both but one is green and one is blue. I’m curious to see the respective msds as they appear to be the same except blue for Honda and green for Hyundai.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Not to hijack this thread but could you tell me where to find the msds on Peek ASIAN long life green and blue coolants? Both are POAT formulas and the labels read identical on both but one is green and one is blue. I’m curious to see the respective msds as they appear to be the same except blue for Honda and green for Hyundai.
peak asian green longlife

It might be some stuff isnt in the msds like phos, you can see the base seams similar with other oats.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
peak asian green longlife

It might be some stuff isnt in the msds like phos, you can see the base seams similar with other oats.
I just got the 10 year purple concentrate from Rockauto. When I ordered, I ordered from the number on the old gallon jug. Rockauto website classified it as orange. Ordered it anyway, and it was purple like I suspected. When you remove the seal, the coolant definitely has an "orange" hue to it. However, if you look through the bottle at the clear section with the volume markings, the coolant looks purple. As I poured the purple concentrate into the distilled water, the "orange" hue clearly developed a more distinct purple color.
So I'm wondering, since this is an OAT coolant and Dexcool was the first and/or most predominant, I wonder if the MOPAR is a Dex clone that starts out orange by the manufacturer. If MOPAR embittered agents are added with some "blue" coloring to make the special MOPAR purple coolant, this would explain the orange tint coming through.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So I'm wondering, since this is an OAT coolant and Dexcool was the first and/or most predominant, I wonder if the MOPAR is a Dex clone that starts out orange by the manufacturer. If MOPAR embittered agents are added with some "blue" coloring to make the special MOPAR purple coolant, this would explain the orange tint coming through.
yeap, Mopar had to color the OAT coolant purple to make it distinguishable from the previous orange HOAT coolant they used(prior to 2013*).

The trick part about the purple cool-aid is it will gradually turn to an orangish-rose color when cool(then back to purple when warm).

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So there are many oat coolants, some that are dex clones have 2-Ethylhexanoic Acid or 2EHA, so if it is in a Mopar jug it shouldnt have that so it isnt a clone. The msds's are in this thread, you can read, coolants with 2eha has to be listed as it is a poison.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So there are many oat coolants, some that are dex clones have 2-Ethylhexanoic Acid or 2EHA, so if it is in a Mopar jug it shouldnt have that so it isnt a clone. The msds's are in this thread, you can read, coolants with 2eha has to be listed as it is a poison.
All the GMs I have left use the Dexcool. I forget now, but they 2EHA is the organic acid part of the additive package. I think they started with sodium 2EHA an now it is potassium 2EHA. Ford used an orange coolant for a brief time in certain model year Cougars and Mopar used an orange coolant before the 10-year purple coolant. My point was that orange was in use by the manufacturers and I was thinking that whatever formula coolant that was close to the current Mopar purple already in production, maybe the Mopar additive package and blue dye was added to the orange to get the purple. If that was the case, that would explain the orange hue when cold or straight out of the jug.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All the GMs I have left use the Dexcool. I forget now, but they 2EHA is the organic acid part of the additive package. I think they started with sodium 2EHA an now it is potassium 2EHA. Ford used an orange coolant for a brief time in certain model year Cougars and Mopar used an orange coolant before the 10-year purple coolant. My point was that orange was in use by the manufacturers and I was thinking that whatever formula coolant that was close to the current Mopar purple already in produ

bankshot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
2017 Ram, had a coolant leak that sprayed coolant everywhere. The garage pressured the system and the leak was coming from the thermostat housing, a leak around the bottom of the stem. It had rusted through the housing. Rust in the radiator, and hoses. This is a 2017 Larime with 77500 miles. Mechanic said the antifreeze, which was orange had rusted the entire system due to a reaction with the electrical components. He said that General Motors had diagnosed this problem years ago and no longer us this type of coolant. Bottom line, your goose is cooked. No amount of flushing the system will remove the rust from the system or the components. If this is gospel, not much you can do other than sell, trade, or come up with something original. I do not have inside contacts that can shed light on the veracity of the information. But this system is rusty as hell. As the VP once said, “I saw it with my own eyes”.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2017 Ram, had a coolant leak that sprayed coolant everywhere. The garage pressured the system and the leak was coming from the thermostat housing, a leak around the bottom of the stem. It had rusted through the housing. Rust in the radiator, and hoses. This is a 2017 Larime with 77500 miles. Mechanic said the antifreeze, which was orange had rusted the entire system due to a reaction with the electrical components. He said that General Motors had diagnosed this problem years ago and no longer us this type of coolant. Bottom line, your goose is cooked. No amount of flushing the system will remove the rust from the system or the components. If this is gospel, not much you can do other than sell, trade, or come up with something original. I do not have inside contacts that can shed light on the veracity of the information. But this system is rusty as hell. As the VP once said, “I saw it with my own eyes”.
Unfortunately, the manufacturers lied and continue to do so to feed the notion that cars and trucks do not need maintenance, or much less than they once did.

As a professional tech with 48 years of experience, I will tell you to change the coolant every 2-4 years regardless of "how clean it looks". During this process, replace the thermostat and the pressure cap. Use ONLY distilled water in the cooling system at all times!

If you wish to think the worst, well that's on you. I can't make a call on it due to the fact I've not seen the truck.
I'd think there would be the possibility that the cooling system can be brought back into serviceability.

Good luck!

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why pay big bucks for Distilled Water, that is what you do when you buy 50/50 mix

1 gallon of distilled water is at your grocery store for between 99 cents & $1.30
I agree with you 100% about using full concentrate and distilled water, but that’s not what’s in 50/50 mix.

They use deionized water, which i believe due to the process of how its filtered is much more expensive (dumb) typically around $15/gal.

it’s no better than distilled imo; in fact deionized may be more prone to interacting with the metals in the engine / radiator.

So in short, yeah listen to yankee and use concentrate and distilled lol

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
RMI 25 uncooks that goose check the stuff out. Even rust see before and afters.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NOPE! There is NO one size fits all coolant. It's not possible. Do not jump over a dollar to save a penny. Go get factory coolant for THAT vehicle. Amortize it out over 3-4 years and it is ridiculously cheap to just use the factory stuff.... and not have to deal with future problems because you put in an incorrect coolant to save, oh, 10-15 dollars?
DITTO DITTO DITTO !!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially on these picky Rams