Coolant?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My burp tank is empty, which seems to be how they ship from reading here.

Will any OAT spec coolant be ok to add to a 2017 pentastar ram?

Parts store is convenient, dealer isn’t.

just want to add a quart.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My burp tank is empty, which seems to be how they ship from reading here.

You can order the MOPAR coolant on Amazon if that makes it more convenient?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your overflow tank do you have the Plastic dip stick, if so its very hard for me to read the level, I use a wooden dowel to check it, to start with a base line my tank holds close the 2 quarts to top, I start with a quart of the concentrate blend and put the dowel in it and check it on the Hot level that will be the upper level and mark the dowel with a black marker and check it again at the cold level that will be the lower level and mark it, now you can check your level easy, if your tank was empty you have a leak.

OP
OP
Quyonmob

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your overflow tank do you have the Plastic dip stick, if so its very hard for me to read the level, I use a wooden dowel to check it, to start with a base line my tank holds close the 2 quarts to top, I start with a quart of the concentrate blend and put the dowel in it and check it on the Hot level that will be the upper level and mark the dowel with a black marker and check it again at the cold level that will be the lower level and mark it, now you can check your level easy, if your tank was empty you have a leak.

I use a blue shop towel. Start at the top, wipe slowly Top to bottom of the dipstick. The second the towel touches a pigmented liquid it gets very dark from the moisture.

Hot it touches the min mark, cold it shows nothing.

A lot of threads here point to factory fill being barely To the min mark. I’m not assuming a leak until I have a reliable level to consistently measure. The dowel would help below the end of the dipstick for the interim.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

Any OAT coolant will work but due to the OEM coloring if you add another color it ends up looking like a brown mess.

If your out and want to put a little I to get you by, just add a quart of distilled water. That should get you by till you can gallon of the Mopar variant. Add a quart when you get the correct Mopar coolant and all should be good.

OP
OP
Quyonmob

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would have to drain the water or flush the system. -40’F is only a few months away here... even though it was 100’F this week. Ontario is weird.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I would have to drain the water or flush the system. -40’F is only a few months away here... even though it was 100’F this week. Ontario is weird.
If you add a quart of water then add the same amount of concentrated anti-freeze when you get it, after a couple of drive cycles the coolant will be well mixed with the distilled water whether it's in the overflow tank or radiator.
If -40°F is the kind of winter temps you see, it's probably a good idea to check the coolant concentration before winter anyways. You'll actually want to add a little extra coolant as 50/50 is good to -34°F