Cooling fan issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Another update. Just drove home and it was on at some capacity from low tones (hard to hear but definitely present). Less than a handful of times I did notice not hearing it. It’s only 78*F here in Phoenix currently. . Current temps: coolant:192 , trans temp: between 165-170, oil temp 199-201, oil pressure:32PSI
Im beginning to hate this fan/fan clutch design in its entirety lol there’s no upgrade I’ve seen with proof and data behind it other than the mishimoto system that but that’ll run me a few grand
The fan is always spinning, so more than likely if you really listened with minimal road noise, no chatty passengers, and no radio playing you'd still hear it. When it's not fully engaged it just won't match engine rpms, but rest assured it's still moving air.

If you're not seeing abnormally low coolant temps (I hovered around the 168-180 degree mark in the summer) the fan is disengaging. Possibly not as it should and when it should but the clutch is still hanging in there for now. Have a shop test it if needed, or just ignore it unless it fails.

You might slightly be able to hear the fan all the time, but it should require you to really listen for it (unless it's fully engaged). A lot of manufacturers use the same design. GMs and Fords aren't really much different and I heard my fan as often in my F250 as I do my Rams. Heck, we hear it in our Armada as well.

Are you expecting not to hear any fan noise at all? Certain noises irritate me as well, so I am wondering if your expectation is that you will hear no fan noise at all. Probably not a reality and you might possibly be more keen to listening for it since your brain has marked it as a nuisance.

I missed this earlier but you mentioned that the fan seemed to kick off when you turned off the AC. The fan does run more when the AC is on. It's part of the heat exchange process. It's pulling air across the condenser that's in front of the radiator.

Ramtravis2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
First reply: I do not know if I have active Air grilles. . also never heard of them before yesterday.

Second reply: @nlambert182 - I definitely have this marked as a nuisance in my head. As mentioned earlier, there is a great chance that there is absolutely nothing wrong. I do not expect the fan to never kick on or be on. However, after the initial replacement, I began to notice the irregular rates at which the fan was on and off.
This morning that I had to shut my truck off going 70+ mph on the freeway, start it, then continued driving to kick off the fan. The remainder of the drive the fan functioned as normal as normal could get. It really seems to be on from 0-40. but times like this morning (I live right off a highway) When I made my turn on to the highway, I audibly heard it kick on (at 3-5mph) and it wouldn't let off all the way up to 80 MPH. I let off the throttle thinking that would disengage it and that didn't work so then I shut the truck off rolling roughly 70mph and it was normal after that. Again, I could be making something out of nothing here, I am very aware of that. It stumps me to think that the fan is on at 4AM from essentially Zero miles an hour all the way up to 80 MPH after a 10-minute warm up (In the driveway) in 48*-50* degree weather. . also doesn't help that these fans are ridiculously loud.
I'm pretty sure I could put a Ram Fan and Fan clutch on a kayak with wings and fly across the country

JosephPukala

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First reply: I do not know if I have active Air grilles. . also never heard of them before yesterday.

Second reply: @nlambert182 - I definitely have this marked as a nuisance in my head. As mentioned earlier, there is a great chance that there is absolutely nothing wrong. I do not expect the fan to never kick on or be on. However, after the initial replacement, I began to notice the irregular rates at which the fan was on and off.
This morning that I had to shut my truck off going 70+ mph on the freeway, start it, then continued driving to kick off the fan. The remainder of the drive the fan functioned as normal as normal could get. It really seems to be on from 0-40. but times like this morning (I live right off a highway) When I made my turn on to the highway, I audibly heard it kick on (at 3-5mph) and it wouldn't let off all the way up to 80 MPH. I let off the throttle thinking that would disengage it and that didn't work so then I shut the truck off rolling roughly 70mph and it was normal after that. Again, I could be making something out of nothing here, I am very aware of that. It stumps me to think that the fan is on at 4AM from essentially Zero miles an hour all the way up to 80 MPH after a 10-minute warm up (In the driveway) in 48*-50* degree weather. . also doesn't help that these fans are ridiculously loud.
I'm pretty sure I could put a Ram Fan and Fan clutch on a kayak with wings and fly across the country
This is exactly what makes mine started doing yesterday. 2021 Ram 3500 HO. 46000 miles. Outside 75 degrees. Coolant temp 186 Oil temp 190. Intake temp stays 85-90 on the highway but climbs to 120 when stopped