cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT or ST Maxx?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have been looking at tires for my 2015 Ram 2500 for a while and was getting close to a decision, but Cooper tires just made my decision more difficult. I was trying to decide between the STT Pro and the ST Maxx (on my stock 18" rims), but now they have come out with a new tire - the Discoverer AT3 XLT. It is the next generation AT3.

Has anyone tried this tire yet? It looks good and has a 60K mile warranty. What I don't know is how it will do in the snow. I called Cooper to ask the difference between the tires, but the person on the phone appeared to be reading from a sheet and really didn't have much info. The only thing he said that I wasn't sure about was that the AT3 XLT only has a 3 ply sidewall vs the Maxx which has a 10 ply sidewall. Don't all E class tires have 10 plys?

I live in Michigan, so good snow and ice traction is important. I also tend to drive on dirt roads that can be pretty rough and muddy. With that said, I don't drive my truck daily, so I am not as concerned with trread wear. I really want something with an aggressive look, but this is secondary to performance, so any of the three tires mentioned would be ok.

Looking for opinions / suggestions. Not in a hurry to buy, but will likely pick up a set of tires in the next 4-6 weeks.

Booner21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I just put the st maxx but the 60k warranty peaks my interest. Hopefully by the time I need tires 5+ years there are some reviews.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The AT3 XLT has a 45 day money back guarantee. That makes it more tempting. I happened to be at a local shop yesterday that sells Cooper tires and asked about the new tires. He said he has sold a couple of sets. One customer did come back in and tell him that they are even better than his old AT3 tires. I asked about the money back guarantee and he said it is very simple, if you don't like them in the first 45 days, bring them back and they will give you a full refund. That makes this tire even more tempting.

The only issue is that the tires are much less expensive online. I wouldn't be able to just take them back. I assume I would have to pay for return shipping.

rerAT3_XLT_full.png.aspx?width=420&height=546&ext=.png

Cougs57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
These are what I am interested in. Just not sure if I will go in a 18 or 20 inch version and a little wider than stock firestone at3s...

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Those at3 xlt have a more aggressive sidewall for sure than the old ones but I don't think there is any way they would perform with the st Maxx offroad. My Mickey Thompson atz p3 are almost twins with the cooper st maxx and they perform great offroad. I have almost 30000 miles on them now and I'm sure I will get over 40000 which they are warranted for. The at3 will be a better street tire which you will get way more miles out of. The st maxx will be more offroad centered

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
Those xlt look like general grabbers, I think st maxx look way better

billa9b0ng

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT CCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The shop I go to puts the regular AT3's on everything and they as well as my family have had good experiences with them. When my truck needed tires I knew i should've gone with the AT3 due to cost and reputation but I wanted something that had a slightly more aggressive sidewall/look so i went elsewhere. I think they nailed it with the AT3 XLT. I vote for the XLT and discounttire has them for less than the regular variant right now (18" OEM size).

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
It’s pretty quick & easy to see the AT3 is NO mud tire.
I don’t even know if I would put in the class as a (true) All-Terrain.

I personally see as it as a true street/highway/very light off-road/light sand/winter tire as well.
Yes it is a AT but maybe something I would call a (Mild or Light) All-Terrain but NOT by NO means a Full Blown AT. Just my Thoughts.

Edit:
I also personally would have zero issues with running this tire next (AT3)XLT: Since I never venture off-road, except through the common camping sites.

Since I grew up in the 70’s-80’s —->I really have a strong liking for High Quality Chrome Wheels w/RWL tires.

With all that :bs: spewed out.
I still consider the ST MAXX a full blown true AT & possibly (MY) favorite 100% All-Terrain choice.
To be perfectly honest the AT3 would probably suit my driving style/habits just fine.

Last edited:

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
I've had two sets of AT3's one on my F150 and my 2500 ram. No they are not a mud tire. Good compromise. They were fine in gravel, dirt, snow, wet. had 40K plus on the ford, lots of tread left when I traded it. just put a set on the Ram last week. the AT3,s are on closeout now online, an got a set to my door for $163 ea. (275/70-18 10 ply E) plus $60 mount and balance at local shop. the AT3 xlt 's were $230ish ea. The tread in the center looks to be the same, just more aggressive on the sidewall. Are they extreme mud off road? No, but about as good as any Quality AT tire I have had: Hankook Dynapro at, KO2, Big O big foot AT. Note the factory FIRESTONERS Transforce AT, were the worst tire ever had. 20K 4 rotations, 3/32 left, no traction.
Just my opinion.
pic of cooper,s tread

1528124855t-cooper-has-new-line-at3-s-all-at3-s-bw.jpg

Reactions: SyN

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Here is my 2500 MC with ST Maxx 295's on my factory 18" Laramie wheels. Love them, they ride great and seem to be wearing well. Have about 12K miles on them and should get another 25K at least. Mostly interstate driving and some short around town driving on weekends. Not a daily driver at all. Truck is used mostly for long road trips all over the Western US.

IMG_1537.JPG IMG_1535.JPG IMG_1533.JPG IMG_1538.JPG

Fearfact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As I replace tires on our little construction co’s one tons they are all going to coopers. We have great luck with the at3 and the next set I order will be the xlt as It looks like the same tire with a fancy sidewall. I run the at3 on my srw ram 3500 in a 35ish size and actually run this truck off-road quite a bit surveying old power line trails and they haven’t left me hanging, I do avoid mud when possible. But these are on service trucks and ones that pull 15k daily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have AT3 s on my truck for 4 years now, had one puncture, they have 20K miles on them, the next time I have them rotated they are going to be pro-rated and replaced.
That's right 20k miles and the are shot.

Retlow8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the Falken Wildpeak A/T 3. Great tires! No road noise and excellent ratings for snow and longevity.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have run both the AT3 and ST Maxx on a Ram 2500. Just as everyone has stated above, the off road ability of the ST Maxx is noticeably better. But the tread life was noticeably less. Guessing here but I bet I can get 1/3 more life (at least) out of the AT3. The ST Maxx looks better, but the XLT makes up for a bit of that. I'm on pavement, gravel, or terrain that isn't too challenging 99%+ of the time so next time I think I'll try the XLTs.

caskem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have been looking at tires for my 2015 Ram 2500 for a while and was getting close to a decision, but Cooper tires just made my decision more difficult. I was trying to decide between the STT Pro and the ST Maxx (on my stock 18" rims), but now they have come out with a new tire - the Discoverer AT3 XLT. It is the next generation AT3.

Has anyone tried this tire yet? It looks good and has a 60K mile warranty. What I don't know is how it will do in the snow. I called Cooper to ask the difference between the tires, but the person on the phone appeared to be reading from a sheet and really didn't have much info. The only thing he said that I wasn't sure about was that the AT3 XLT only has a 3 ply sidewall vs the Maxx which has a 10 ply sidewall. Don't all E class tires have 10 plys?

I live in Michigan, so good snow and ice traction is important. I also tend to drive on dirt roads that can be pretty rough and muddy. With that said, I don't drive my truck daily, so I am not as concerned with trread wear. I really want something with an aggressive look, but this is secondary to performance, so any of the three tires mentioned would be ok.

Looking for opinions / suggestions. Not in a hurry to buy, but will likely pick up a set of tires in the next 4-6 weeks.

Cooper

Bigblue2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ctd
Second on the falkens at3 Been very happy good price and a good looking tire

Psass55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought the at3 XLT for my truck from discount tire. Only been on a week but so far they are great. Got me through the mud setting up some tree stands and quiet on the road. They look way better than my at3 on my last truck.