Cooper Evolution M/T All Terrain Tire - 35X12.50R20 reviews?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89stang1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have BF Goodrich KO2s with 50k miles on them they still have good tread but in rain they are very unpredictable (scary) time for new tires anybody with the coopers evolution m/t's.

Princeton_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not familiar with the Evolution M/T, but I do have Cooper's Discoverer AT3 and STT Pro tires. I can tell you the siping on those tires goes much deeper into the tread. That helps with traction on wet roads even as the tires wear down.

I ran KO2s for years and was very happy with them but the siping doesn't go as deep and once they're wore down they don't have the same traction on wet roads. That's true for a lot of tires.

OP
OP
89stang1

89stang1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not familiar with the Evolution M/T, but I do have Cooper's Discoverer AT3 and STT Pro tires. I can tell you the siping on those tires goes much deeper into the tread. That helps with traction on wet roads even as the tires wear down.

I ran KO2s for years and was very happy with them but the siping doesn't go as deep and once they're wore down they don't have the same traction on wet roads. That's true for a lot of tires.

I was looking at the STT Pros they are a $100 more a tire than the Evolution MTs i know you get what you pay for how are they working for you.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was looking at the STT Pros they are a $100 more a tire than the Evolution MTs i know you get what you pay for how are they working for you.

I'm running the Cooper STT Pro's and love them as a well mannered mud terrain tire. They wear really well and are far less noisy on the the road than many of the competitors mud terrains. One of the things that I liked about them when reading the reviews and specs was that they are a bit lighter than some of the other top brand mud terrains on the road.

There have been some forum members complaining about having trouble getting them balanced properly but I have never experienced that issue with them.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm running the Cooper STT Pro's and love them as a well mannered mud terrain tire. They wear really well and are far less noisy on the the road than many of the competitors mud terrains. One of the things that I liked about them when reading the reviews and specs was that they are a bit lighter than some of the other top brand mud terrains on the road.

There have been some forum members complaining about having trouble getting them balanced properly but I have never experienced that issue with them.

Just comparing the looks of both the Evolution and STT Pro, if you want a more luggy looking mud terrain then the SST Pro is your better choice.

OP
OP
89stang1

89stang1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just comparing the looks of both the Evolution and STT Pro, if you want a more luggy looking mud terrain then the SST Pro is your better choice.

Your truck looks good! i do like the STT Pros gonna be a tough decision cause i can save a $100 a tire if i go with the Evolutions. It sucks cause theres not alot of reviews on the evolution yet the ones ive found are good.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked at the Cooper Evolution MT's before and decided against them just because they have a 2 ply sidewall. Sidewall strenght is important to me when i'm looking to replace tires.

I was looking for a cheap option and went with Patagonia MT's. Zero issues so far with the tires when it comes to offroad performance. They have 3 ply sidewalls and they have done good in the rain, haven't testet them in snow yet but Winter is coming so will see how they do soon. Not happy about their tire wear though so i'm not sure i'll run them again. Also they were super quiet for the first 3 days, I have about 6-7k miles on them now and they sound like most MT's though they're not as noisy as a swamper or Nitto MG. Can't complaint much given their price but i'll prob pay more next time and get me a set of those Cooper STT Pro or be back to BFG KO2's. Will see when the time comes.

This is why i value sidewall strength for example and this is with 40PSI in them, you never know what you'll encounter out there.

50106648943_88a1280ac0_h.jpgdeep_creek_10 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Or

I didn't even feel this out until i got home and was checking my tires PSI after a day on the trail
It's cosmetic but a reminder of why it's important in my case to have strong sidewalls

49635911983_3a1e34ca45_h.jpg2020-03-08_01-54-59 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

I'd play devil's advocate though and ask have you ran MT tires before ? If you're looking for exceptional wet traction MT tires are not the best choice for that. Sure there are options that are better than others but generaly speaking AT's are better in that department. MT tires will give ou better traction in mud, rocks, heavy packed snow. AT's will be better in wet roads, light snow conditions, sand, rain.

I can vouch for Patagonia MTs in the rain, Toyo MT, Maxxis Bighorns, and Mickey Thopmson MTZ. again they're not tires made to race when it rains :), but they do OK. STT Pro's should also be ok but i haven't run them so i can't tell you for sure.

Princeton_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I've only put about 3k mile on them. Those miles were during Spring and early summer. They felt really secure in rain, but I haven't really taken them off-road unless you count a muddy trail that joins a couple of our fields. I have a buddy who's had them for quite a while and I'm really impressed with how well they work for him both off-road and in the snow. The STT Pros are going to be my Winter tires. They're not near as noisy as the Nittos and some others, but they are noisier than the KO2s. I bought the AT3s and a second set of rims for the other 3 seasons of the year in which I mostly tow my bassboat around.

OP
OP
89stang1

89stang1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I looked at the Cooper Evolution MT's before and decided against them just because they have a 2 ply sidewall. Sidewall strenght is important to me when i'm looking to replace tires.

I was looking for a cheap option and went with Patagonia MT's. Zero issues so far with the tires when it comes to offroad performance. They have 3 ply sidewalls and they have done good in the rain, haven't testet them in snow yet but Winter is coming so will see how they do soon. Not happy about their tire wear though so i'm not sure i'll run them again. Also they were super quiet for the first 3 days, I have about 6-7k miles on them now and they sound like most MT's though they're not as noisy as a swamper or Nitto MG. Can't complaint much given their price but i'll prob pay more next time and get me a set of those Cooper STT Pro or be back to BFG KO2's. Will see when the time comes.

This is why i value sidewall strength for example and this is with 40PSI in them, you never know what you'll encounter out there.

50106648943_88a1280ac0_h.jpgdeep_creek_10 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Or

I didn't even feel this out until i got home and was checking my tires PSI after a day on the trail
It's cosmetic but a reminder of why it's important in my case to have strong sidewalls

49635911983_3a1e34ca45_h.jpg2020-03-08_01-54-59 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

I'd play devil's advocate though and ask have you ran MT tires before ? If you're looking for exceptional wet traction MT tires are not the best choice for that. Sure there are options that are better than others but generaly speaking AT's are better in that department. MT tires will give ou better traction in mud, rocks, heavy packed snow. AT's will be better in wet roads, light snow conditions, sand, rain.

I can vouch for Patagonia MTs in the rain, Toyo MT, Maxxis Bighorns, and Mickey Thopmson MTZ. again they're not tires made to race when it rains :), but they do OK. STT Pro's should also be ok but i haven't run them so i can't tell you for sure.

I have had only MTs for the last 20 on my 99 lifted Suburban tried most brands so im use to how they ride. I bought my Ram a year ago it had the ko2s the ride and dry roads felt good was nice to drive a truck without MTs ko2 are quiet but in the rain they suck. Changing lanes at 70mph in the rain normal lane change the truck gets loose then the TC corrects and truck wobbles wear i had to correct it and had another similar instance i'll never buy ko2s.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had only MTs for the last 20 on my 99 lifted Suburban tried most brands so im use to how they ride. I bought my Ram a year ago it had the ko2s the ride and dry roads felt good was nice to drive a truck without MTs ko2 are quiet but in the rain they suck. Changing lanes at 70mph in the rain normal lane change the truck gets loose then the TC corrects and truck wobbles wear i had to correct it and had another similar instance i'll never buy ko2s.

Just out of curiosity, what size do you have on those KO2's ? KO2's or KO's ?
i've had KO2's 5 times :) haven't experienced the issues you have. If they're KO2 do they have the DT designation?. Supposedly those don't have the 3 peak snow designation and the compound is made to last longer on heavier trucks but same compount then sucks in snow or wet. The RAM at 6200lbs in my case is the heaviest vehicle i've had with KO2's. Ran 37 KO2's for about 10k miles with them without any problems and they were wearing down 1/32 every 5k miles. This was not too long ago. The set of KO2's 315/70/17 in my Jeep Wrangler had 50k miles and they had plenty of meat left whe i sold them to buy Nitto MT's. All sets of KO2's i've had have been the non DT compound and 4 of them were E rated 285/70/17 or 315/70/17, the 37x12.5x17 were D rated.

For instance the set in the Silverado here had 30-35k miles when i switched from the Jeep to Silverado :), the #15's on that Jeep went another 50-55k miles before i made the switch to Nitto MT's

32354031040_4e88bfa96d_h.jpg2017-02-05_02-56-23 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

I remember having the first version KO's and how my vehicles will go sideways with them just trying to make a right turn when raining they were super dangerous.But never had any other AT tires reaching 80-90k still with meat left on them. They were hard to kill at least in the applications i ran.

Anyways If you don't need the sidewall strenght then run check out those Evolutions. they have a good price. The STT pros though seem to have better sipping compared to the Evolutions MT so i'd assume they should be better in the rain. The evolutions are a tad ligther and of ocurse the price makes them attractive.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your truck looks good! i do like the STT Pros gonna be a tough decision cause i can save a $100 a tire if i go with the Evolutions. It sucks cause theres not alot of reviews on the evolution yet the ones ive found are good.

Thanks.....Cooper Tire as a brand seem to generate good reviews across their entire line. I had Cooper Zeon LTZ's on an old truck and that was my first exposure to the brand....I'm sold on Coopers now.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks.....Cooper Tire as a brand seem to generate good reviews across their entire line. I had Cooper Zeon LTZ's on an old truck and that was my first exposure to the brand....I'm sold on Coopers now.
Me and my brother got 18k out of our Cooper zeon LTZ’s. Won’t ever buy another cooper tire.
Only nitro trail grapplers for this guy. 60k+

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I have BF Goodrich KO2s with 50k miles on them they still have good tread but in rain they are very unpredictable (scary) time for new tires anybody with the coopers evolution m/t's.

What size tire are you running?

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Me and my brother got 18k out of our Cooper zeon LTZ’s. Won’t ever buy another cooper tire.
Only nitro trail grapplers for this guy. 60k+

Isn't funny how experiences with tires are so different from person to person. No experience with the Trail Grapplers or Nitto for that matter but friends of mine have pretty mixed reviews for the Trail Grapplers.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Isn't funny how experiences with tires are so different from person to person. No experience with the Trail Grapplers or Nitto for that matter but friends of mine have pretty mixed reviews for the Trail Grapplers.
I have gotten 60k+out of all of my sets I ran. I have ran 3 sets

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Considering the price, just go with nitto trail grapplers. Happy with mine in snow, mud, and rain. They actually go in the mud just as good as my nitto mud grapplers I had.

luckydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I got a set of Evolution M/T a few thousand miles ago to replace a worn set of S/T Max. I got the M/T for a good price. While I have Cooper tires on all my vehicles I wouldn't have gotten these if the price wasn't right. I haven't had any issues with balancing and they have been good in mud (no snow yet). They are very noisy on the road (which I expected) and worse than I expected on wet roads. I will go back to S/T Maxx or STT Pro next time. The poor handling in the rain is too much of a compromise for me.

Killface3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 HEMI

The Cooper AT3 is an excellent tire for the money.