Core Control arms and towing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Since I purchased this 2016 1500 I had been chasing a tail wiggle when pulling anything.
I put Tufftruck Springs on, Hellwig sway bar, Spohn panhard bar ,Bilstien shocks, Timbergrove air bags, 10 ply tires and at every install ( did each thing at different times) it got better but was never right and seemed like afyer acouple pulls it was almost back to square one.

Last year when I was bringing the trailer home is was very unnerving as it felt like I was allways on the edge and would just wear you out after a 3hr drive even with a WDH and a additional sway control bar.
I finally decided it was not how the towing set up was that it had to be the rear end moving around under the truck

Well I put the Core rear Control arms on and the difference is night and day there is zero tail wiggle on the truck now and I can pull the trailer at 70mph with ease and one handed if I want.lol

IMO if you are chasing a tail wiggle on your truck it more than likely is the dam stock rear control arms.

Anyway hope this helps somebody..:)

20190908_151453.jpg

20200303_154712_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I have mine on order, not Core, but somethings coming....coated today.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I thought a while back someone posted about installing just the Core panhard bar made a significant difference while towing.
I would imagine have the full montey is that much better.

OP
OP
69GWC

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I thought a while back someone posted about installing just the Core panhard bar made a significant difference while towing.
I would imagine have the full montey is that much better.

I forgot but I have the Spohn panhard bar and it did in fact help and I thought that it might have been the fix but it still had the tail wiggle.

NorZeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I already spend some of my truck budget on the Hellwig though (and planning on upgrading tires later this year from the stock SRAss with the rest of it)..

Making me want to spend more now.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Since I purchased this 2016 1500 I had been chasing a tail wiggle when pulling anything.
I put Tufftruck Springs on, Hellwig sway bar, Spohn panhard bar ,Bilstien shocks, Timbergrove air bags, 10 ply tires and at every install ( did each thing at different times) it got better but was never right and seemed like afyer acouple pulls it was almost back to square one.

Last year when I was bringing the trailer home is was very unnerving as it felt like I was allways on the edge and would just wear you out after a 3hr drive even with a WDH and a additional sway control bar.
I finally decided it was not how the towing set up was that it had to be the rear end moving around under the truck

Well I put the Core rear Control arms on and the difference is night and day there is zero tail wiggle on the truck now and I can pull the trailer at 70mph with ease and one handed if I want.lol

IMO if you are chasing a tail wiggle on your truck it more than likely is the dam stock rear control arms.

Anyway hope this helps somebody..:)

View attachment 210983

View attachment 210984

Great to hear you got it straightened out 69. Those new rear upper and lower control arms look great. Curious if you ever had it weighed at CAT weigh station and what your weight figures were. Tail wiggle (unstable trailer) typically comes from inadequate tongue weight, improperly adjusted wdh, also some of the items you already addressed (springs and/or air bags, E rated tires, etc)

Thanks.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you have solved your problem. Another thing that will cause basically constant sway, is not enough tongue weight. Should be 10%+ of trailer weight, 12-15% is even better

OP
OP
69GWC

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Great to hear you got it straightened out 69. Those new rear upper and lower control arms look great. Curious if you ever had it weighed at CAT weigh station and what your weight figures were. Tail wiggle (unstable trailer) typically comes from inadequate tongue weight, improperly adjusted wdh, also some of the items you already addressed (springs and/or air bags, E rated tires, etc)

Thanks.

I have not weighed it as of this time , but it was not the trailer sway it was the trucks rearend moving around under it.
I thought it was trailer swaying at fitst as well and when I bought my nee trailer I had the RV dealer set up the wdhs height bars and all and it was just the same.
Had my wife follow me home and she could see it and I could feel it even worse at that point.
Its stable as hell now with zero wiggle .:)

I pulled trailers all my life and had never had a problem or had a problem setting up the hitch. It was a weird feeling.

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I have not weighed it as of this time , but it was not the trailer sway it was the trucks rearend moving around under it.
I thought it was trailer swaying at fitst as well and when I bought my nee trailer I had the RV dealer set up the wdhs height bars and all and it was just the same.
Had my wife follow me home and she could see it and I could feel it even worse at that point.
Its stable as hell now with zero wiggle .:)

I pulled trailers all my life and had never had a problem or had a problem setting up the hitch. It was a weird feeling.

Yeah that is strange. Glad to hear you got it addressed. Unstable towing regardless of the cause is no fun.

mfifield01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Are there other options besides Core Control?

mfifield01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I've got the Hellwig Sway Bar, Factory Air suspension, and LT tires for towing. I tow a 32' trailer (~6000lbs). In heavy winds, I feel a little waggle in the rear. I don't really think it's sway. I set up my WDH based on a CAT scale. I've towed it about 18,000 miles now.

mfifield01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Are the control arms beneficial in daily use? I don't really do any offroading or racing of the truck. I'm trying to justify the cost of the control arms. At some point, I'll sell the travel trailer.

OP
OP
69GWC

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Are the control arms beneficial in daily use? I don't really do any offroading or racing of the truck. I'm trying to justify the cost of the control arms. At some point, I'll sell the travel trailer.

Its one of those things that you notice right away when you install them the truck feels way more planted, just handles better.
Now its not something a daily driver needs by anymeans but it will drive better.

mfifield01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I called Core and asked a few questions. I ended up ordering the rear lower control arms with the brake bracket welded on. I had some concern about the rear upper control arms meshing with the factory air suspension. He (Spence) said it could be done, but for onroad use the uppers might not be needed.

John Wiles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I’m having a similar problem on my ‘14 2500. Just started with my last trip. I pull a 10k Fifth Wheel. The tail wiggle gets so bad the truck will loose traction and the traction control will kick in and reduce engine power. Very scary. My son has a ‘15 2500 so I moved the hitch and trailer to his truck and the problem went away. Has to be in the truck. My mechanic has checked control arms and bushings and suspension. Can’t find anything. Is it possible it is in the differential? Truck has 100k miles. Frustrated and no answers. Help anyone? TIA

OP
OP
69GWC

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Not sure if its the same problem I was having or not. Mine really felt like the ass of the truck was wiggling around and not the trailer.
Tow my 4k boat to the lake and back doing 70mph plus and it was a pleasure to drive , it was not before.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I put on Apoc Industries on mine.
Made the rear suspension feel a TON better.

20200625_185654.jpg

mfifield01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I’m having a similar problem on my ‘14 2500. Just started with my last trip. I pull a 10k Fifth Wheel. The tail wiggle gets so bad the truck will loose traction and the traction control will kick in and reduce engine power. Very scary. My son has a ‘15 2500 so I moved the hitch and trailer to his truck and the problem went away. Has to be in the truck. My mechanic has checked control arms and bushings and suspension. Can’t find anything. Is it possible it is in the differential? Truck has 100k miles. Frustrated and no answers. Help anyone? TIA
I would look at tires. What tires do you have (hopefully LT)?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn