Correct Oil Filter for 2014 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
And all of those miles are on conventional dino oil as well, neither of us have used synthetic oils, but I'm going to on my new 2014 that I recently picked up. Grabbed some Pennzoil Plat PP 5w-20 and a Fram XG2 for my first oil change. I'm not used to using synthetic oil or such a thin oil either...both kind of make me weary...I've been running Mobile 1 Delvac 15w-40 in my 2004 Hemi for a while now and am sort of used to that thick oil "feel".

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
It is very hard using the Viscosity of Oil--->That the government tells us we should use! My question is do They really know what's best for our engines or what's best for Them?

They really have some Sharp Hooks set out there!

In the Past-->I have always used 10W-30 due to the Many Tests done with outstanding results within the SVT Forums! {Years Ago}--> but now! This MDS rascal has me treading a fine line! If I ever invest in a Programmer & have the capability to disable the MDS--> I just might flirt with 5W-30 for winter & 10W-30 for Summer use in my 5.7L. With 2 kids in college it is hard to part with $700 on a Diablo!

Owners to day are some what flooded with the ideas Thinner is Better!!! -->Maybe it is! For those that don't abuse their engines on a day to day basis!--->{Towing-Racing-Severe Stop & Go}!

I am really contemplating trying M1 AFE 0W-30 this summer!

Toyota is already working on 0W-16!! Pouring it looks just like H2O!

These days it is Tough Accepting -->{Being told What to do! & When You have to do it!!!}

Last edited:

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is very hard using the Viscosity of Oil--->That the government tells us we should use! My question is do They really know what's best for our engines or what's best for Them?

They really have some Sharp Hooks set out there!

In the Past-->I have always used 10W-30 due to the Many Tests done with outstanding results within the SVT Forums! {Years Ago}--> but now! This MDS rascal has me treading a fine line! If I ever invest in a Programmer & have the capability to disable the MDS--> I just might flirt with 5W-30 for winter & 10W-30 for Summer use in my 5.7L. With 2 kids in college it is hard to part with $700 on a Diablo!

Owners to day are some what flooded with the ideas Thinner is Better!!! -->Maybe it is! For those that don't abuse their engines on a day to day basis!--->{Towing-Racing-Severe Stop & Go}!

I am really contemplating trying M1 AFE 0W-30 this summer!

Toyota is already working on 0W-16!! Pouring it looks just like H2O!

These days it is Tough Accepting -->{Being told What to do! & When You have to do it!!!}

You should see the synthetic oil the Army uses in their helicopters. It's pours thin as water and it barely has any color, just a slight caramel color to it.

Reactions: SyN

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I noticed the same thing. My 2013 still takes the larger oil filter and has 2x the flow in gallons per minute compared to the smaller filter. The new smaller filter is about the same size as the one I put on my gf 2010 ford focus.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had my 2014 2500 5.7 for a little over a month, but I bought it used and didn't really know when the oil had been changed last, though it was pretty clean. We are going to drive to Arizona this week so I changed the oil, filter and rotated the crummy firestone trans force tires.
Anyway, I wasn't sure which filter to use, big or small. When I crawled under the truck, I saw a big firestone filter like the mopar. I had a couple motorcraft fl820s filters left from a town car I owned.
So, 7 quarts of royal purple and the big filter, and I was on the road. No issues, no problem with the install, no leaks, all is well.
For what ever reason, mine does not have electric power steering....in fact I was surprised to see it didn't have rack and pinion steering....just the old recirculating ball system .....now I know why the steering is not as crisp as my old half ton.....

Last edited:
Reactions: SyN
OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I really like the feel and handling of the electric Power Steering. Really like not having to worry about PS Fluid and leaks....

I only hope the electric unit is durable!

Sydney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok, I registered because I had to respond to this thread/post. I'm currently driving my 4th Ram. I've owned an '02, '03, '07, and now this new '14.
I'm a 'do it yourselfer' not because I'm cheap, but because it's convenient (my schedule) and I've been working on vehicles since I was 16 (34 years now). I belong to a car club that is attempting to become national.
I've always hated the location of the OEM oil filters on Rams (above steering linkage components.)
I've just performed the first oil change on this '14 and noticed 2 very disturbing issues that I will correct. 1. The oil was filthy. And 2. The filter was way too small. These will be overcome by installing a remote oil filter relocation kit. The only problem that I have that is not readily corrected is the new location of the double filters (the '07 was easy as there was plenty of room behind the grill on the radiator cross member) using K&N 1004 filters and 4 foot custom fireproof/chaff proof/braided covered hoses with 90 degree elbows worked great. This allowed 200% better oil filtration and increased the oil capacity from 7 to 9 quarts. The oil adapter kit was from Transdapt and the hoses were custom from a local Carquest auto parts store. They made the hoses while I waited. They were $100 per hose and the user friendly (remove/replace) hose ends. I zip tied the hoses together and to available undercarriage components and ran them through the available opening in the bottom radiator support up to the filters.
A important note on the required/correct oil weight.. I live and drive throughout the hot/humid Southeast US. I also do NOT like the 'thin' 5W/20 required oil weight. After significant research I located reliable accurate info on this subject, as follows: for the hemi's with MDS the'lighter' weight oil is required and with especially 'tighter' machining clearances/tolerances. I also use higher than recommended (89) fuel octane: I routinely use 93. My '07 runs like it was brand new. It does NOT use oil or anything with 123k miles. And countless hours at idle due to my habbit of running the a/c almost 10 out of 12 months on "'high'. And thank God for the remote start option! I can get an easy 15k on a Mobile 1 Extended Performance oil change. I check the viscosity, color, and smell/appearance of the oil weekly at a minimum. I'm an EXTREMELY hard driver. I treat these trucjs as if they were a 'race ready Challenger Hellcat. Aside from routine filter and fluid changes and the Front Wheel bearing assemblies at 112k and a 'useless' spark plug change ( as the originals looked great and had the factory gap. I've done nothing but drive these vehicles. They 'withstand' some horrible abuse that not many vehicles would.
I will take pics of the oil filter relo and post them within the month. By the way, Advance Auto Parts also has a filter relo kit for $62. It does not have hoses. And the Transdapt kits come with very poor hoses, thus the pursuit if custom.
I hope this knowledge helps!

tttrv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I run the larger filters from pre 13, no leaks. Just a tight fit for hands.