Correct way to engage 4WD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hallowfear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Ok this is going to seem like a dumb question but here we go anyways .....

So have a 2019 Ram classic, what is the safe and proper way to engage 4WD.
(FIRST 4WD VEHICLE)

I know 4WD low is for 40mph (64 kph) and below 4WD LOCK for above .

Proper engagement?
20191111_160307.jpg

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I like to engage will rolling a couple mph forward or reverse ... But maybe that’s just me, and old school thinking ... They say you can, but I would never engage at 40 or 50 mph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Here's more "Shifting Procedure" from the owner Manual:

Attachments

• 2016 Ram 4WD Shifting Procedure.pdf
    36.3 KB · Views: 59

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can engage 4hi (4lock) with the truck moving, you don't have to slow down the trafic to do it. Do it when convenient due to slippery conditions like snow on the road, dirt, gravel etc etc. I think the manual says something like the shift happens easier if you lift the thottle before turning the dial/hitting the button. i've never paid attention to the speed, when i shift to 4lock i'm alredy in the dirt or the road has snow on it so i figure i'm not doing 80mph :)
for 4lo you want to do it with the truck at full stop while in Neutral or moving below 5mph with the trans in N, (the cluster will let you know the sequence if you're moving), same to go out of 4lo. Yo use 4lo when you need the extra torque/gear reduction (mud,sand,heavy snow, uphills/downhills under those condtions)

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not to confuse but your 4auto and 4 lock will Disengage while turning and pulling into a parking lot. No damage will be done on any road surface. It is a very nice system for on road use. They are not true 4 wheel drives like many are used to. And will not chatter in corners like many are use to.It will never bind in a corner at all. The only way it will Engage in a corner is if you have wheel slip in the rear and will shut off as soon as traction is back. I left mine in 4 auto for 115k miles. Someone chime in and correct this info if im wrong.

Edit. Sorry i never answered your Initial q. You can turn on both 4 auto and 4 lock any time as long as your not in a corner and your not spinning your back wheels.

Last edited:

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NEVER use 4W LO above 5MPH....and when your running 4W HI make sure it is on wet pavement, snow, or dirt/mud.....

I don't have the manual in front of me so i'm not sure but i'd think you can go faster than 5mph while in 4low. i may have gone 20-30mph without knowing several times in 4lo, i know i've done 70-75mph while on the dirt in 4hi more than once paying attention to the road and speed, but if i'm in 4lo is because i'm doing something silly with the truck so i switch to slow mode and the obstacles become the focus :)

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well you don't have 4 Auto, so no 4WD on dry pavement.
As said 4 Lo needs to be stopped, etc.
I have gone into 4 lock at speeds over 70 mph many times - sometimes on the interstate you come up on a slick part of the road all of a sudden out of no where.

The push button switch absolutely sucks to shift into 4WD on the fly - it just does. You have to hold it too long and pray that it actually listens to you that you want to go into 4WD.

I am going to see if it is possible to make the rotary switch work instead of the push button eventually.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
...don't ask me, I still roll back in reverse about 50' or so after getting out of 4-Lo, and usually shift in and out of either mode at a dead stop.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
NEVER use 4W LO above 5MPH.
Not that you would want to intentionally, but you can and will be limited by the engine redline in 4X4 Low. If the difference is being stuck in the backwoods somewhere or getting on the throttle, I guess we know who will be calling for a tow truck or walking.

The push button switch absolutely sucks to shift into 4WD on the fly - it just does. You have to hold it too long and pray that it actually listens to you that you want to go into 4WD.
There must be something up with your 4X4 actuator, should only take a one second push of the selector button then about 5 seconds to engage(the indicator light flashes while engaging). Going back and forth to the hunting property this past weekend, the truck shifted in and out of 4X4 Lock a good dozen times just as described.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
NEVER use 4W LO above 5MPH....and when your running 4W HI make sure it is on wet pavement, snow, or dirt/mud.....

Where did you get that false information?

FCA has instructions on how to disengage ECS in 4WD Low. Included in that instruction it states that if you reach 40mph it will disengage ECS and if slow below 40mph it will reengage. This data is in a conflict where FCA says not to exceed 25mph, perhaps that means with ECS on, I don't know. Regardless, like ram1500rsm above, I have exceeded that many times with no consequences. Stay below 5mph is fake news!

If you read the Manual data I posted above it says,
"The 4WD LOCK and 4WD LOW positions are designed for loose, slippery road surfaces only. Driving in the 4WD LOCK and 4WD LOW positions on dry hard surfaced roads may cause increased tire wear and damage to the driveline components." Notice that it says "may" and doesn't say not to. There are many reports of drivers routinely in 4WD lock driving up to 65mph on regular surfaces. I agree 4WD Low should be reserved for off-road or poor road conditions where you need the power to move forward.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
From my personal Experience 4 lock will only be locked when driving straight. It will Disengage In a corner or parking spot. There is no true 4 wheel lock on the 1500's with the 8 speed. I say 8 speed because that's what i had i can't speak for the 6 speed. I've never in over 100k had my 4 auto or 4 lock bind. Ever . The 1500 is not a 4 wheel true lock system.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
From my personal Experience 4 lock will only be locked when driving straight. It will Disengage In a corner or parking spot. There is no true 4 wheel lock on the 1500's with the 8 speed. I say 8 speed because that's what i had i can't speak for the 6 speed. I've never in over 100k had my 4 auto or 4 lock bind. Ever . The 1500 is not a 4 wheel true lock system.

There were two transfer cases available in 1500 trucks.

The bw44-44, which has 4-auto on its selector, has clutches and doesn't bind up much in turns.

The 44-45, has no 4-auto option. It has 4 lock and 4 low only. It binds up like a ****.

The transmission don't matter. Both t-cases came attached to either transmission.

My 2013 sport came with a 6 speed and a 44-44 t-case. I wanted a t-case that binds like in the old days, so I swapped in a 44-45 from crashed Tradesman.

Now I can't let the wife drive it anymore.

Last edited:

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Got ya good info. I should of looked better at his first pic. I wonder why they didnt make the 4 lock with the 4 auto bind. Whats the point i didnt really notice a big difference between the 2 in my truck

DirtyWipers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the non auto Tcase and when I turn in 4WD and it starts to scoot and bind, I just give her the beans till she straightens up and acts right...You gotta show these trucks who's boss sometimes.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Got ya good info. I should of looked better at his first pic. I wonder why they didnt make the 4 lock with the 4 auto bind. Whats the point i didnt really notice a big difference between the 2 in my truck
FCA wanted to make the Auto 4X4 system "idiot proof" instead they ended up with is an AWD system.
PM @Brandon-w to see if he is still making the BW44-44 transfer case lock up switch. From what I have read , it makes a big difference

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yea mine was more like an awd. I got a 2500 now. I guess i fell into the same thing as alot of people. Thinking it was true 4x4.