Correct way to engage 4WD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Gallo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
Is it me, or does the owner's manual contradict itself?

"4WD AUTO Four-Wheel Drive Auto High Range — This range sends power to the front wheels. "

and then lower in the page:

"For variable driving conditions, the 4WD AUTO mode can be used. In this mode, the front axle is engaged, but the vehicle’s power is sent to the rear wheels. "

So does 4WD Auto send power to the front or back normally before engaging all 4 wheels in certain conditions?

I see similar errors in other owner's manuals for other trucks too. Seems they don't bother with editorial work these days.

Seems like it’s like “locking the hubs”. but not engaging 4wd until it detects a slip. then it will send power to the front wheels.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel

"4WD AUTO Four-Wheel Drive Auto High Range — This range sends power to the front wheels. "

"For variable driving conditions, the 4WD AUTO mode can be used. In this mode, the front axle is engaged, but the vehicle’s power is sent to the rear wheels. "

So does 4WD Auto send power to the front or back normally before engaging all 4 wheels in certain conditions?

I see similar errors in other owner's manuals for other trucks too. Seems they don't bother with editorial work these days.

I don't see it as contradicting itself, I see it as poor verbiage.

The vehicle's power is always sent to the rear wheels, regardless of the drive mode. They could remove the statement, but the vehicle’s power is sent to the rear wheels. and the PP would read better.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4 wheel High, stopped or rolling no matter speed under 60. Low, I go into neutral, shift into 4 low, wait til the light stops flashing, go... when coming out same thing. Wait til it stops flashing then away you go.

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Me personally, i mutter a prayer under my breath, pinch my left eye shut, then reach out and turn the knob, always pleasantly surprised when technology holds up in my presence....
Especially in the old days when you had to "gasp" get out and manually turn the hubs to get into four wheel drive.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Larime
Engine
Hemi
My 2012 Laramie 1500 won't engage the 4wd ?, Turn the knob on dash and nothing happens? No clicking,,No Light on the dash?
It was working in the Morning, but that evening It would NOT activate.

Any Help Would Be A Help.

TXTONKA

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
On my prior Ram 1500 with AWD and 4Hi. I always found the 4Hi preformed better in winter and off road conditions. The AWD alwasy seemed to have a delayed engagement.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7

So what this is saying is that in 4wd auto they have already applied the front axle actuator but are still only applying mechanical power to the rear axle.When the PCM reads wheel slip then the clutches are applied in the t-case and then mechanical power goes to the front axle which is already engaged making the transfer to 4wd almost instant.Where as if you shifted a non-auto t-case on the fly the power(hydro) has to go through a switch on the t-case only after it has shifted and on to the front axle that then has to mechanically engage.This process is slower obviously.The non-auto t-case can be shifted on the fly at just about any speed without hurting anything as long as you get your foot out of the throttle for a few seconds to give the frt axle a chance to do it's thing.They are a bit slow engaging.