Cost of extra key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kathleen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
small 8
Just got a 2007 Ram 1500. We only have one key, went to a dealership to get a second key. They want $220.00 for a second key. Seems ridiculous. Is there any way to get a second key for a more reasonable price?

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Try a local locksmith, they can usually do them for less.

-K

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Getting the chipped key fob is the easy part, then you have to have someone program it to the vehicle.

Ghostman

US Army Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 4x4, 2500

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try a local locksmith, they can usually do them for less.

-K

I went to a locksmith $65.00
I’m assuming that since the OP said the dealer wanted $220 for a new key that he’s wanting a new fob key and not just a plain key so are these locksmiths y’all talking about carrying the whole replacement fob keys or just plain keys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mboymopar

MOPAR
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport
Engine
345 HEMI
I’m assuming that since the OP said the dealer wanted $220 for a new key that he’s wanting a new fob key and not just a plain key so are these locksmiths y’all talking about carrying the whole replacement fob keys or just plain keys?

The locksmith I used, could do both key, & fobs in his van.
The fobs were not "Dodge" but it works fine.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Getting the chipped key fob is the easy part, then you have to have someone program it to the vehicle.

According to this place, you don’t, but I found a YouTube video that says you need at least two programmed keys to add a third so I dunno. Either way, I’d say get the new key and try it. If it don’t program then maybe a dealer or locksmith will have to be involved.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
According to this place, you don’t, but I found a YouTube video that says you need at least two programmed keys to add a third so I dunno. Either way, I’d say get the new key and try it. If it don’t program then maybe a dealer or locksmith will have to be involved.

It won't work unless there are two preexisting keys. Has to be someone with that level software (either Starscan or better or whatever certain locksmiths use nowadays).

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It won't work unless there are two preexisting keys. Has to be someone with that level software (either Starscan or better or whatever certain locksmiths use nowadays).

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Hmm. I’m not arguing with ya since I never had to deal with this with my old 2008 because I bought it with 2 key fobs, and sold it with the same two key fobs, but I was also told pretty much the same thing from Mazda with my mom’s car. They said only they could program her other two keys but low and behold, I wasn’t following the directions I found online correctly and just here recently after her having her car for almost 4 years, she now has all three of her keys programmed to her car and it didn’t require a locksmith or a dealer.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

As @mboymopar said, a good locksmith will be able to provide/program the entire thing. You'll need a real locksmith, not a hardware store with a key cutter. Around here some of the chain auto part stores (like AutoZone) also advertise that they can cut/program chip keys. I've not used one for that service so I can't comment on how effective they are at it. I never needed a replacement for my 2nd Gen and I have a 4th Gen, AlphaOBD and my truck's PIN # now so I programmed my own extra key when I decided I wanted a 3rd.

-K

mboymopar

MOPAR
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport
Engine
345 HEMI
As @mboymopar said, a good locksmith will be able to provide/program the entire thing. You'll need a real locksmith, not a hardware store with a key cutter. Around here some of the chain auto part stores (like AutoZone) also advertise that they can cut/program chip keys. I've not used one for that service so I can't comment on how effective they are at it. I never needed a replacement for my 2nd Gen and I have a 4th Gen, AlphaOBD and my truck's PIN # now so I programmed my own extra key when I decided I wanted a 3rd.

-K

I had one fob key, and the key inside the fob was not even cut so I could lock the Ram Box/tail gate.
They pulled up at work, I handed them the one fob key
made the deal on cost.
After work everything was done ✅

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I went to a locksmith a little over a year ago. He had a drawer with at least 20 Ram fobs in it and he had just received the software to do the programming.

I had already purchased a fob on CL, but the locksmith programmed it for me and he also replaced the skin on my existing fob, all for about 60 bucks or so.

OP
OP
K

Kathleen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
small 8
WOW, what a difference this makes. Dealer said they would have to reprogram the truck, and program the key.
I'm in the Metro Detroit area so I'll try AutoZone and O'Reilly first. Then I'll go to the online site if I have to.
Thanks!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WOW, what a difference this makes. Dealer said they would have to reprogram the truck, and program the key.
I'm in the Metro Detroit area so I'll try AutoZone and O'Reilly first. Then I'll go to the online site if I have to.
Thanks!

I would just hit up the local locksmith. Maybe he’s got the stuff like them other guys suggested. I highly doubt those auto parts stores will have what you need.

Bigram07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2007 also, if I buy new key and replace the guys in new key with guts from old key should be ok?