Cost to add full center console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hi everyone, new to the forum and looking for some advise. A local dealer has a 2019 Laramie optioned exactly how I want it except it has the middle seat in the front with the fold down cup holders. It stickers for $53,000 and they’ve gone down $12,000. We have not talked trade yet, but I’m wondering is it even possible to switch the consoles out? The front bucket seats look to be the same with either config, although I could be wrong. If it is possible any got an idea on a price for the parts.

Thanks!

John813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a lot of work.
The usb connections are mounted differently between the console and bench config.
Obviously the price of the console, which I'm not sure if they are even out to buy, and who knows if the seat rails are the same?

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
That’s a great price!

I went with front bench seats to get more functional space. There is also the cool hidden drawer under the main display which is great to store stuff out of view.

06427fa64704836aae690420b381e1dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

RAM2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the quick reply’s! My 2002 RAM had a similar middle seat and honestly I didn’t mind it. I think I’ll stop in and see it in person. Agreed that swapping it out is probably more work then what it’s worth.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always preferred the full console myself and have actually swapped them into a couple of earlier trucks years ago. For 12K off sticker I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker. You're probably looking at $2-3K or more to do the swap now)especially if you pay somebody to do it) so if I were you I would start looking on eBay for a used one and eventually one will pop up on there but it will still probably cost $1K-1.5K. Wiring it up shouldn't be that big of a deal. I bet it would still be less of a PITA than installing a new stereo.

NoveskeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab Short Bed Copperhead Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My advice is to find a truck with the options you want.

You might be happy at first compromising, but once the “new car smell” is gone, you may find yourself regretting not getting what you wanted.

If you’re ok with knowing you’ll pick up a console later when they become available, then maybe it’s not a deal breaker. Initial cost for the new consoles will most likely be high & hopefully installation won’t be too complicated.

OP
OP
R

RAM2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great advice everyone! I’ll keep you posted on what I decide.

Leif_Ram2017

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Slight thread digression here... but can anyone confirm the 40/20/40 "Bench" vs. full console Buckets come with the exact same bucket seats?

Ibsledge

Military
Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doing the conversion now. Parts-including complete console from a totaled truck—- 616.00. Just purchased . Like you couldn’t find a quad with center console locally. Got a good deal so it was worth it and with the swap even more so.
Time -Depends on you

Last edited:

Ibsledge

Military
Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The console and the center seat use different wiring harnesses. This includes the dashboard wiring harness as well. In a nutshell I did the following.
1a) Removed center seat assembly and wire harness to use with my purchased center console.
Since I didn’t take seat apart I cut
wire to center storage charge only usb -
1b) soldered wires to center console charge only usb connector

2a) Purchase 5 ft of 9 wiring from local stereo shop. - $22.00
2b) Purchased 2 mini usb female to male extenders to connect front usb assembly -13.00
2c) Extended the cd plug connector from seat wiring harness so it would reach CD player in console - extended wiring 18 inches
2d) Front plug from dash to connect power to console front usb assembly - Extended 16 inches
2e) Front 120 volt plug located on right side of dash - Extended wiring 12 inches
to connect to center console

3) Purchased 2 mini usb female to male extenders to connect front usb assembly
Soldered all wires and shrink wrap as needed-You can use butt connectors as well your choice.

4 ) Purchased front and rear brackets for console as it whereas the seat only uses 1 in the rear and bolts to floor in front which is different from console. $55.00

5) Purchased left and right small dashes covers for console $26.00

6 Cut carpet where needed to install center console.
If you swap you need to swap carpet otherwise the person with console will have a hole once seat is installed.

Total parts cost - $116.00
Console Cost —- $500.00
Total-——————$616.00
Now I have a new center black seat to sell without the harness

8CB6A129-EE1A-4E33-ACC3-4B9D816BACDC.png

341D2F0C-CACB-4FE9-9CB4-65BE3F47A1B7.png

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The console and the center seat use different wiring harnesses. This includes the dashboard wiring harness as well. In a nutshell I did the following.
1a) Removed center seat assembly and wire harness to use with my purchased center console.
Since I didn’t take seat apart I cut
wire to center storage charge only usb -
1b) soldered wires to center console charge only usb connector

2a) Purchase 5 ft of 9 wiring from local stereo shop. - $22.00
2b) Purchased 2 mini usb female to male extenders to connect front usb assembly -13.00
2c) Extended the cd plug connector from seat wiring harness so it would reach CD player in console - extended wiring 18 inches
2d) Front plug from dash to connect power to console front usb assembly - Extended 16 inches
2e) Front 120 volt plug located on right side of dash - Extended wiring 12 inches
to connect to center console

3) Purchased 2 mini usb female to male extenders to connect front usb assembly
Soldered all wires and shrink wrap as needed-You can use butt connectors as well your choice.

4 ) Purchased front and rear brackets for console as it whereas the seat only uses 1 in the rear and bolts to floor in front which is different from console. $55.00

5) Purchased left and right small dashes covers for console $26.00

6 Cut carpet where needed to install center console.
If you swap you need to swap carpet otherwise the person with console will have a hole once seat is installed.

Total parts cost - $116.00
Console Cost —- $500.00
Total-——————$616.00
Now I have a new center black seat to sell without the harness

View attachment 195659

View attachment 195660

Looks great!

Ibsledge

Military
Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks
Now to think of what my next project will be

Buffchief52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e torque.
I’m working on the swap right now on my 2020 Laramie that I just purchased used with 7500 miles (and the unwanted center seat). Purchased a used console on Ebay and got lucky, it’s in almost perfect condition. Unfortunately the console wasn’t cheap, paid $800 but got free shipping, it came on a pallet in a semi! It didn’t come with the mounting brackets or dash close out panels so I’ve made a few trips to my dealer for parts, I have a great Ram dealer, they got me what I needed in a day! The wiring is a pain, ordered mini usb cables from Amazon, and cut and splice for the 110 power and USB port connection, but will be worth it....the console looks so much better and has tons of storage!
Any one need a perfect black leather Laramie jump seat???
20201116_153927_resized_1.jpg

20201118_071733_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So did the wire harness for the console have the plug connector for a CD player with it?
As in the connector is there for the CD player whether you have it or not?

Got my CD player yesterday and hoping my '20 Laramie has the plug for it in the console.

mike90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I have finished with the conversion. It looks beautiful.
Hi there, I was trying to find your write up on your center console conversion but couldn't find it. Are you able to send the link? Was it hard to do? Also do you happen to have the exact part numbers I would need to order as far as the brackets go? Thanks!

Ibsledge

Military
Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s post 9,10,11
Let me look for wiring diagram.
I traded in and got 4000.00 more than what I paid for it.