Cost to paint hood/cab top?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
I'm buying an '01 ram SLT and it has a bit of fading, more than a bit, but less than a nibble (anyone get the binary joke), on both the hood and the cab top. Its the original dark blue color and I'd imagine at least that it would be cheaper to point just the hood and cab to match the original color, but for all I really care I could get them painted black. But I'm wondering, anyone know how much it would cost to repaint those pieces? I've heard before with cars that a lot of the time its cheaper to just repaint the whole car than a couple panels, any thoughts?

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
Nobody? 60+ views and nobody has an idea on how much it would cost to get the hood and roof painted or to get the whole thing painted? I've seen some people offering plasti dip a whole car for $450, I imagine a whole truck would be more, not to mention it seems kinda sketch to me to plasti dip a truck, a bumper or grille insert sure, but the whole dam truck? Opinions people, I'm not looking for price quotes :)

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'll byte. :laughing1:

If you do most of the prep work yourself, you can save a bit of money. Just painting the hood and roof, especially on a dark truck, is not gonna come out well for cheap in most cases. However, the shop may be able to buff out the rest of the truck to make it blend, but that's obviously going to cost more.

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
Oh! He gets IT jokes! Yeah that's kinda what I figured for an answer, doesn't help the hood has some pin stripping. Plasti would be a lot cheaper, could probably do it myself if the weather would warm up, I worry about getting an even coating though. It still seems an odd thing to me, but been reading up and supposedly it'll last about as well as paint would. Would probably do a Matte black or gunmetal color if I went that route. Give me a minute going to post some pics, just got back from the DMV.

Last edited:

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I just had my entire truck painted this past summer for just under 6k.

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
truckpassengerside_zpsaaea7b8a.jpg

truckcab_zpsda8739ec.jpg

truckdriverside_zpsf44ab661.jpg

Last edited:

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thank you for your input, its pretty much what I figured but kinda what I was afraid of.

These guys did an amazing job btw. I did have some other company's give me price range of 7-11k.

Don't go to one of them one day paint and body places just to save money. I have pictures of that also. Lets just say you get what you pay for.

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
Managed to get those pictures figured out, had to find out which http address the forum wanted to use.

fastSdime

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum 360
It depends on what you want done. I will tell you this. At my shop I will charge you more for doing prep work because I don't know what all you did and if you did it right. I will have to go back thru and do it again. Your cheapest bet is to find a guy that works for a shop but does it on the side for himself. If they do quality work and uses quality supplies I have seen plenty of $2000 paint jobs from a garage look just as good as expensive shop jobs. I been painting for about 17 year. You do get what you pay for. But you also don't have to over pay to get it done.

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
It depends on what you want done. I will tell you this. At my shop I will charge you more for doing prep work because I don't know what all you did and if you did it right. I will have to go back thru and do it again. Your cheapest bet is to find a guy that works for a shop but does it on the side for himself. If they do quality work and uses quality supplies I have seen plenty of $2000 paint jobs from a garage look just as good as expensive shop jobs. I been painting for about 17 year. You do get what you pay for. But you also don't have to over pay to get it done.

Thanks, thats the good reliable answers I'm looking for, knew a guy back in Japan that used to work for a body shop but thats back in the old day.

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
Well went and talked to a couple different body shops in the area, and it took a while but they convinced me that it would look odd as hell if the whole truck wasn't painted if I wanted to keep the original color, so my options being paint just the hood and roof a seperate color (probably would do a matte black) or paint the whole truck. I got a quote from one of the body shops, that seemed the most legit, that also does plasti dip and he was suggesting to me, the truck being as old as it is and my leaving in 6 months that to do the truck, or even just the hood and roof, would cost me more than I'd be able to get out of the truck resale wise. He quoted me $100 to plasti dip the hood and roof, prep work and everything to make it matte black, 5 coats, which seems reasonable, and if I hate it and it looks like crap I'm only out $100, even if they're satisfaction guarantee doesn't hold up. So now though I'm considering maybe just plasti dipping the whole truck, $700 quoted, I'm not planning on taking the truck over there till monday so I got time to think about it. Saw a video on you tube of someone taking a plasti dip truck offroading, nothing seriously hard core but more damage than an average motorist would see for sure, and it faired really well in my opinion, and thats what I think is really convincing me that this stuff might be all right. So let the flaming on Plasti Dip begin, no seriously guys go crazy, please explain to me that this is an awful idea, I'd rather people bash the idea now than me do it and end up regretting it.

Sorry for all the sentence run-ons, english grammar is a weak subject for me, and no I don't feel I have to capitalize days of the week or country names.

Last edited:

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Actually, I'm using plastidip on my truck as well :D I redid my faded rear bumper pads with it. Alot of people actually use plasti-dip on their vehicles its a great product. Sounds like your best bet to me man.

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
Actually, I'm using plastidip on my truck as well :D I redid my faded rear bumper pads with it. Alot of people actually use plasti-dip on their vehicles its a great product. Sounds like your best bet to me man.

Got pictures? Any complaints?

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
Well nobody but john spoke up so i dropped it off at the shop, i'll take some after pictures but like a dumb donkey I neglected to take before pictures of the hood. Will give my first impressions as well.

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
Holy crap problems! So I went to drop off the truck at 9pm but the guy I had talked to, the gm, the previous day was running late, his daughters day care decided to take the day off without telling anyone, chatted with him a bit make sure we were both on the same page (I wanted to keep the pin stripping and the area below that runs into the body the stock color and just do the area above the pin striping the actual flat parts of the hood the matte black). So he tells me that they were slow today and that they were going to have a couple guys working to prep it and wanted to get done relatively early today it being the day before christmas eve, which cool I understand so he said that they'd probably start actually spraying it around 11 and be done by 3. I call at 3:30 to see how its going, an auto body shop across the street caught fire, (guy was painting one side and finished and was doing some welding work on the other side of a car, everyone went to lunch and a spark must have caught fire on the not yet dry paint, burnt up 2 new chargers). Anywho so the fire delayed their work a lot and they were just starting up again so he told me to come in around 5 and it should be ready (they were suppose to close at 5). I show up and I can see my truck in the bay still all taped up with a guy still spraying, they'd put on 3 coats already but the areas where my faded paint was down to the clear was still showing on the coats, so they dropped another coat and were still seeing it so then they decided to drop 2 coats of a grey to try to even it all out and then 3 more coats of black, it was much better but they were stilling getting some of it through so they decided to use the glossifier to help smooth it out, so 2ish hours later (thank god they had netflix in the office I watched a movie and a half) they were done. They weren't really happy with it and that it took so long cut 25% off my bill, and told me that if I don't like it (they told me it might look different in the sun, I guess everything looks good indoor, never heard that before but hey they're the body shop) to bring it back and they'd take it off and try again. Its pouring down rain here and has been all day that and its dark as hell but I'll try to get pictures tomorrow before I catch my flight to go home to the wife for the holidays. If not you'll have to wait till the new year. Anyway point being, the customer service was fantastic, was really pleased with the shop and all the lengths they went to try to make things right, I'm positive they took a loss on this already even if I don't like it when I get back and go back and have them try again, but none the less they were nothing but helpful. I hope it turns out looking nice though in the morning.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Got pictures? Any complaints?

Well nobody but john spoke up so i dropped it off at the shop, i'll take some after pictures but like a dumb donkey I neglected to take before pictures of the hood. Will give my first impressions as well.

I am sorry I did not see this til now. No i dont have any pictures but no complaints as well! Does the job great!

Holy crap problems! So I went to drop off the truck at 9pm but the guy I had talked to, the gm, the previous day was running late, his daughters day care decided to take the day off without telling anyone, chatted with him a bit make sure we were both on the same page (I wanted to keep the pin stripping and the area below that runs into the body the stock color and just do the area above the pin striping the actual flat parts of the hood the matte black). So he tells me that they were slow today and that they were going to have a couple guys working to prep it and wanted to get done relatively early today it being the day before christmas eve, which cool I understand so he said that they'd probably start actually spraying it around 11 and be done by 3. I call at 3:30 to see how its going, an auto body shop across the street caught fire, (guy was painting one side and finished and was doing some welding work on the other side of a car, everyone went to lunch and a spark must have caught fire on the not yet dry paint, burnt up 2 new chargers). Anywho so the fire delayed their work a lot and they were just starting up again so he told me to come in around 5 and it should be ready (they were suppose to close at 5). I show up and I can see my truck in the bay still all taped up with a guy still spraying, they'd put on 3 coats already but the areas where my faded paint was down to the clear was still showing on the coats, so they dropped another coat and were still seeing it so then they decided to drop 2 coats of a grey to try to even it all out and then 3 more coats of black, it was much better but they were stilling getting some of it through so they decided to use the glossifier to help smooth it out, so 2ish hours later (thank god they had netflix in the office I watched a movie and a half) they were done. They weren't really happy with it and that it took so long cut 25% off my bill, and told me that if I don't like it (they told me it might look different in the sun, I guess everything looks good indoor, never heard that before but hey they're the body shop) to bring it back and they'd take it off and try again. Its pouring down rain here and has been all day that and its dark as hell but I'll try to get pictures tomorrow before I catch my flight to go home to the wife for the holidays. If not you'll have to wait till the new year. Anyway point being, the customer service was fantastic, was really pleased with the shop and all the lengths they went to try to make things right, I'm positive they took a loss on this already even if I don't like it when I get back and go back and have them try again, but none the less they were nothing but helpful. I hope it turns out looking nice though in the morning.

Wow thats great service! Glad to hear you found a good little shop :) Cant wait to see your pics!