Could Not Remove Overhead Console in '18 Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a new '18 Tradesman -- which had an annoying rattle in the overhead console when it's really cold. I watched the videos, read all the posts, and I could not remove the overhead console for the life of me. I removed it in my '12 Ram no problem. I have the interior panel pry bars, and tried all of them - 1 one each side. It was not popping loose without breakage. I seriously pulled with 80% of my force. I gave up when one of the light switch inserts came out. Luckily I got it back in. I may have fixed the rattle (by other means), but still upset/confused as to why I couldn't drop the console. I've heard they are stuck up there good, but I'm pretty positive something will break before mine comes loose.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They do take some effort. You will feel like your about to break something. Pull from back edge at the outer lip, I’ve your fingers between the fabric and plastic and give it a sharp tug downward. The front edge of console has two brackets that hold it above the headliner.

Most likely your rattle is some of the wiring up there. You use hot glue or even duct tape if you want to keep them down.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went thru heck getting my 2019 down. There were (2) bolts up above the sunglasses holder, and also (2) tabs up there that I did not know and "broke" em. But I got the console down, put in LED's, locktite the bolts and put the console back up. Since I have no idea what yours looks like, is there a glasses holder up there, if so, look for (2) bolts and "push tabs" by the bolts to the rear on the MY 19.

Not know if any of this helps, but putting the info out there...

OP
OP
kkreit01

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks all. I was tugging with great force on the back edge. I have since fixed that rattle. It was actually caused by me in the first place. I stuck the extra cord from my radar detector hardwire up in there, and it would rattle when cold/stiff. I've since pulled that out, and wrapped in tape and foam.

This console on the Tradesman is really worthless without a sunglass holder. All I have is 2 maps lights, and one faint LED that is always on. The rest is black plastic -- where switches could be. I really wanted to hardwire my garage door opener up in there, but I don't want to break the whole console.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Take a look at pics 2 and 3. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2018-...rentrq:2c7db3481670aade6c0ebb6cfff60851|iid:1
This will give you an idea where the gold clips are. You can’t pull down on the front (towards the windshield) at all. You can’t use pry tools because there’s nothing to pry against since the headliner itself will give. You basically need to get your fingers under it at the back and give it a good yank straight down.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those front clips do not mess around if its never been pulled down before I could nearly hang from it. Get some grip, put a rag in your mouth as you will bite down with the amount of force your going to use. Man up and get it!

Rainmn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The rest is black plastic -- where switches could be. I really wanted to hardwire my garage door opener up in there, but I don't want to break the whole console.

That was exactly what I was trying to do in my truck, and had the same issue as you did with trying to get the console down. I eventually gave up and just removed the piece where the rear sliding window switch would be. I put a button for my opener in that blank and still had plenty of room to fish the wire over to the A pillar without ever getting the rest of the console off.

OP
OP
kkreit01

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks again for the suggestions. I may try again when I get brave. I tried with my fingers and the panel tools. They guy in the youtube used a plastic pry bar like I was using. The ebay pics helped.

The reason I'm hesitant, is that I broke a piece off one of my previous Fords -- doing the same thing. Ram's plastic must be stronger. :)

Chrisg86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I just put in my Homelink system like two weekends ago and mine was extremely hard to get down had to use a towel and a mallet to get it to seal back to the roof once I had it down and installed. It just takes a lot of prying and pulling down I thought the same thing that it wasn't ever going to come loose and finally it just popped and drop down those gold hooks they use to hold it up don't mess around

Goin Mobile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I too have found it near impossible to remove this thing. Like kkreit01 I tried everything but a real crowbar. I did have it partially removed so I decided to forget my plan and push it back into position. I couldn't get it to go back into place either. I had the truck into a dealer for an oil change so I asked them to give it a try. After pulling all the schematics on this assembly they gave up as well. Somehow they got the thing to stay up but admitted its not right. They tell me I'll have to pull the headliner to fix this thing now. Incredibly frustrating.

etbrown4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had a great deal of trouble pulling my console down, like others. One brass clip pulled through the plastic backing panel above. The other clip seems to have half pulled through and became somewhat distorted.

Now one clip will seat and the other slot is now too big. The console sags on that side.
Anyone have suggestions on reseating a clip where the receiving slot is now too large? It's a lousy design.