Cover those rocker panel holes!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I was disappointed to look under my truck and find FCA cheaped out and covered large holes on the inner side of the rocker with ductape. And cheap tape at that, the edges are lifting on a brand new truck. I searched and found some mentions back a few years, but no solution and nothing since. There's about a dozen each side of the cab, some large ovals and a few smaller hexagonal holes. These will be perfect for filling up the rocker panels with dirt, mud, and road salt. :(

Just wondering if anyone has sourced fitted rubber plugs anywhere, or has a better solution than mine. Lacking any better alternative, I'll get some Eternabond RV roof tape and cover the holes with that. Supposed to last forever and never let go. But I have no personal experience with it. Open to suggestions.

On the subject of corrosion control, I'll also be spraying inside the rockers, frame, etc with Fluid Film, which I do on pretty much all my vehicles.

View media item 28675
View media item 28674

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I noticed these holes shortly after I bought my 2500. I used them for the coax cable for my cb antenna. Then I used some aluminum tape that's used to patch hole on semi truck trailers. Works great so far.

Blue Mule

bigdodge

Reaction score
Really the tape is fine. I took mine off and just stayed fluid film and used gorilla brand tape and it's good. That tape sticks way better

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Ditto, I crawled under my new 2500 the other day, and saw the same holes, with the tape hanging off in the manner of your photos. I removed their version of tape, and cleaned the surface with alcohol. Then used gorilla tape to cover the holes. Since its cold here, I used a heat gun to "seal" the tape on.

Seriously though that area, is wide open at the bottom of that panel anyway. The tape might keep the big chunks out, bit certainly not the road slime and moisture.

bigdodge

Reaction score
I remove a couple yearly and add a generous amount of fluid film.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just check what f*kin hacks really black tape....might as well not cover them at all.....I guess I'll rip that tape off and spray some nh oil or ff in there yearly..... Debating now covering them back up or leaving the hole opn??? Anyone find out what rubber plugs fit in there that would be great...

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are rubber plugs that fit... have seen them posted up on line before.

I spray the rockers down heavily with fluid film every fall before winter (and everywhere else of course). Last year when I did it, there were small piles of sand/dirt coming out of the bottom drain ports rrrrrrrrrr. ****** me off. Wish I would have sealed them off well years ago. A good quality tape sounds like probably the best solution to me.... peel it off in the fall, spray fluid film, install new tape. Done.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, FYI, the rocker panels on these trucks are split in two. Spraying from the inner holes only gets the inner half... you have to remove the rubber plugs on the outer side of the rocker too to get the full treatment!

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you...please no post if anyone needs finds those plugs

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since noone else looked or found them I just came across a post and found this part # 68043989AA. I ordered 14 of them hopefully thats all I need but hopefully they fit. Lol

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Since noone else looked or found them I just came across a post and found this part # 68043989AA. I ordered 14 of them hopefully thats all I need but hopefully they fit. Lol

When you get them let us know how they fit. I may be interested in doing the same. Thanks.

Red

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Haven't stumbled upon this yet. I had my truck ziebarted and plan to hit it with fluid film too after annual touch up. Guess I'll be looking at these areas. For 42k I wanna see this truck stay in my hands for 15+ years and hopefully not be a rotted mess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those little plugs are like an average price of $5 each from what I've found on the internet. Did you find a better deal somewhere? I can't see myself spending $75 for 14 rubber plugs, that's insane.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do the 1500's have this same tape/holes?.....I dont remember seeing that

Rockauto has them for .92ea for group of 7 or 1.02ea for singles

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/mopar,68043989AA,plug,1000487
I can't see the original pics (so I'm not sure what holes everyone is trying to plug) but I believe these are the plugs that go near the pinch weld.

They would be too small to fit the holes that are normally covered by tape on the inboard side of the rocker panel.

I think the tape would be fine for the inboard holes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Must be an issue for the places that put road salt down all winter long. The only rusty vehicles we have in the Pacific Northwest are from the 80’s or older when they didn’t galvanize body panels. Oregon has salt, but it’s used sparingly and in high crash areas.