Crank but no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harby46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 crew-cab with 5.7 Hemi that I purchased 07,14,2014. On 10,12,2019 the fuel pump and filter was replaced, 2 months ago the EGR valve was replace. It has been running fine and had no problem passing smog over all the years I've had it. The other day I was adjusting the timer on the wells that irrigate rice and left the truck idling for a few minutes while I did that. Before I returned to the truck it quit. It hasn't show the engine light up to that point. Not thinking anything of it I tried to restart it. It cranked but wouldn't start. I could smell gas under the hood. Also the starter wouldn't disengaged for several seconds even though I let go of the key. Because I didn't have my cell-phone I had a mile walk back to the ranch. When my brother got off work we towed the truck back to the house. He brought his code reader out and checked for any and all codes which it showed no codes at all. Just out of a clear blue sky it decided to quit. Tried several times since with the same results. The fuse checked OK. Any ideas? I'm 74 and living on a fixed $900.00 income (forced retirement due to full disability from rice harvest accident) hope this doesn't cost much. Thanks in advance for you suggestions and help.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, Does it have spark, if not it could be the Halo magnetic pick up in the distributor, you said you smelled gas, so your fuel pump relay is good, do you hear the fuel pump kick on when you cycle the key, you want to make sure you have good pressure.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm lean towards a faulty flu pump even though it was just replaced.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It is likely that you already disconnected the Negative Battery Terminal for 30 Minutes to reset the computer
That likely gave the fuel a chance to evaporate

I would double check the

Crank/Cam Position Correlation​

OP
OP
H

Harby46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for your replies, they give me at least something to check, a starting point to try to isolate the problem. The most baffling to me is the truck was parked idling for several minutes when it quit while I worked on an irrigation well motor, when we got the truck back to the shop we checked for error codes on the truck yet it showed no errors codes, nor had the engine light ever came on. It hit 110 F. today as we are in a heat wave in Northern California and at 74 with COPD I don't handle the heat too well. As soon as it cools down and I'll check things out and get back to you.

OP
OP
H

Harby46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I'm still dead in the water. According to what I could find if it were the Crank/Cam Position Correlator it wouldn't crank yet it does crank and get to 250 RPMs which no RPM would show if it were the Crank/Cam Position Correlator. Also when cranking the engine there is immediately a very strong smell of gas, the tank is full. That leaves the spark and it seem that it is not getting any spark. How do you check for spark on a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Hemi with Multi Pack Ignition Coil on Plugs? Hope someone can help.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well I'm still dead in the water. According to what I could find if it were the Crank/Cam Position Correlator it wouldn't crank yet it does crank and get to 250 RPMs which no RPM would show if it were the Crank/Cam Position Correlator. Also when cranking the engine there is immediately a very strong smell of gas, the tank is full. That leaves the spark and it seem that it is not getting any spark. How do you check for spark on a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Hemi with Multi Pack Ignition Coil on Plugs? Hope someone can help.
I would put a fuel pressure gauge on it just to verify proper fuel pressure.

Then, to verify ignition spark, remove a coil and put a screwdriver in one of the boots and put the metal of the screwdriver close to another piece of metal on the engine to create a ground path for the spark. Them, have an assistant crank the engine while you watch for spark to jump from the metal of the screwdriver to the metal on the motor.

OP
OP
H

Harby46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks I'll try that as soon as I get someone to help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio